Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Header/Mid pipe VS...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Header/Mid pipe VS...

Ok so I live here in Oregonand where I live at here I have to do emissions on my 08 tC. So I want to to do a mod but.. I want to be able to pass emissions here. I know the tC has to Cats one on the header and if I am not mistaken right before the midpipe?? anyways my question is this I f I were to get a mid pipe would I still pass emissions with the stock headers? or get after market headers with the stock midpipe?

I posted this thread as a result of this thread i was reading but it was cut short for some odd reason: http://clubsciontc.com/forums/mainte...t-setup-44992/

any input is great I just want my car to stay legal and sound good as well.

btw I am a newbie to the this area of the tc so be gentle :D
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where in Oregon are you at?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vladislav
Ok so I live here in Oregonand where I live at here I have to do emissions on my 08 tC. So I want to to do a mod but.. I want to be able to pass emissions here. I know the tC has to Cats one on the header and if I am not mistaken right before the midpipe?? anyways my question is this I f I were to get a mid pipe would I still pass emissions with the stock headers? or get after market headers with the stock midpipe?

I posted this thread as a result of this thread i was reading but it was cut short for some odd reason: http://clubsciontc.com/forums/mainte...t-setup-44992/

any input is great I just want my car to stay legal and sound good as well.

btw I am a newbie to the this area of the tc so be gentle :D
Thanks in advance!!!
well once u take the cats off, u arent legal anymore by Fedral law. so its up to u if u take them off. Has for passing emission test, IDK any thing about that since i live in a area that doesnt make me have to do that.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ziggi
Where in Oregon are you at?
Troutdale just outside of gresham. This sucks i would hate to have to be done modding the tc. Looks like only things i can do legally is put a lip kit and tint the windows
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So even if I were to purchase these headers http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ND(universal:1)) I would still be illegal considering these are 49 state legal? this very confusing for me :\
Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 AM
SL Member
SL Member

It depends, do they do visual inspections in Oregon?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperWhiteTc06x
It depends, do they do visual inspections in Oregon?
To my knowledge they do not. Last time I took my tc for emissions the just plugged in the OBDII for a few minutes then said that will be $124.00 and thank you after i paid them.

Just got confirmation they do not do visuals here :D!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Silence...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM
SL Member

There's the dezod headers with cat passes emissions I have them they wrk great
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM
SL Member
SL Member

That's good, to my knowledge the main cat is on the header so as long as you keep that on, you can replace the midpipe with one without a cat and you should pass. since they wont be doing visual inspections you're lucky lol. I woud have someone double check this info but I'm pretty sure you should pass as long as you have the cat on the header and no cels. The midpipe will probably give you a cel so just do the fix that was posted in the link "clubsciontc" and you should be fine.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperWhiteTc06x
That's good, to my knowledge the main cat is on the header so as long as you keep that on, you can replace the midpipe with one without a cat and you should pass. since they wont be doing visual inspections you're lucky lol. I woud have someone double check this info but I'm pretty sure you should pass as long as you have the cat on the header and no cels. The midpipe will probably give you a cel so just do the fix that was posted in the link "clubsciontc" and you should be fine.
Thanks I'll ask around some more about the CEL light and mid pipe. I like the stock hearders i just want a new mid pipe really. hahah but yes thank you I'll post up any updates I get plus if anything I'll look into the dezods that kidbarillas mentioned thanks again
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I passed emission with my turbo on. As long as your car has no CEL, they will pass your car.

Also if you want to install header and midpipe, as long as you have anti foulers on there, it will be fine because it will trick the O2 sensor into thinking it's a stock pipe, which then tricks the emission thinking everything on your car is dandy.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Troutdale just outside of gresham. This sucks i would hate to have to be done modding the tc. Looks like only things i can do legally is put a lip kit and tint the windows
dude. common ye have little faith. expand your imagination. im not even close to being done modding my xb2 and i havent even touched the engine to do anything performance wise. lol.

btw im oregon city, OR
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dkfung88
I passed emission with my turbo on. As long as your car has no CEL, they will pass your car.

Also if you want to install header and midpipe, as long as you have anti foulers on there, it will be fine because it will trick the O2 sensor into thinking it's a stock pipe, which then tricks the emission thinking everything on your car is dandy.
Thanks. I will more than likely find some who would install them for me once i get the parts to put on the tC. Sorry I am mechanically impaired

Last edited by Vladislav; 12-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Moonbass
dude. common ye have little faith. expand your imagination. im not even close to being done modding my xb2 and i havent even touched the engine to do anything performance wise. lol.

btw im oregon city, OR
I get your point lad. When i modded the appearance of the tC; I did not have much to do it came with carbon fiber inside and out it was already lowered with tein lowering springs, TRD axle back exhaust, CF engine cover and TRD caps under the hood and red painted calipers along with a touch screen pioneer cd/dvd system. I am not speaker system type of person i like the stock it does its job. hahahah. but yeah i have seen a few mods i liked on here like the leds for the glove box... but me+electrical= Oh S***! i'd like to put LED's on my head lamps but i have not seen a DIY for the 1st gen just the 2nd gen tC. but yeah if you know any let me know because i am a Dumbarse when it comes to stuff like headers and mid pipes and wiring.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/header-install-dc-sports-22180/

This pretty much explains it all i guess??
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I will more than likely find some who would install them for me once i get the parts to put on the tC. Sorry I am mechanically impaired
If you can screw in a light bulb, screwing in an anti fouler is just the same.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0051_large.jpg

The silver thing is an anti fouler.

http://www.racingsolution.com/images...d809f13591.jpg

Here is another variation of an anti fouler.

What it does is since you have a bigger pipe, more air will go through it, causing your O2 to read differently. What this anti fouler does is it tricks the O2 sensor by restriction how much air touches the O2, which in turn, keeps the CEL OFF.

Literally, you twist one end to the pipe, and then twist the O2 onto the anti fouler.

It's good if you do things yourself, it's how I got into car modding... although I don't have my tC anymore =(... kinda miss it..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dkfung88
If you can screw in a light bulb, screwing in an anti fouler is just the same.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0051_large.jpg

The silver thing is an anti fouler.

http://www.racingsolution.com/images...d809f13591.jpg

Here is another variation of an anti fouler.

What it does is since you have a bigger pipe, more air will go through it, causing your O2 to read differently. What this anti fouler does is it tricks the O2 sensor by restriction how much air touches the O2, which in turn, keeps the CEL OFF.

Literally, you twist one end to the pipe, and then twist the O2 onto the anti fouler.

It's good if you do things yourself, it's how I got into car modding... although I don't have my tC anymore =(... kinda miss it..
In my above comment the guy that posted the DIY drilled a hole in the Anti-Fouler. Is that really needed? or can it just be screwed in without drilling and still trick the O2 Sensor?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

those anti foulers should have the holes pre drilled....
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and be prepared for your car to sound extremely raspy when you install header. I had mine on and took it off in two weeks cause i couldn't take it

Quick Reply: Header/Mid pipe VS...