ID, OR, WA

New to Oregon/Mt. Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New to Oregon/Mt. Hood

I've just moved to Oregon about a month ago for school and I love snowboarding. I've been to Mt. Hood a few times when I visited back in January. I'm currently looking for the most fuel efficient car that would be able to handle the snow up in the mountains. I've never driven up there by myself, last time I went with a family friend who had a truck. Should I get an AWD like a Subaru or would FWD car with snow tire work fine? I moved from Ohio and last winter my tc was fine in 2-3 ft of snow but I'm sure its alot different up in the mountains. If it matters I'm only looking to spend roughly 4-5k. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWD w/snow tires should get you around most of the roads in town and out of town that are plowed. If you get a FWD then you will need snow tires all the way around. I don't go to the mountains in the winter, not a skier or boarder. Maybe someone on here who drives the roads up there in the winter will weigh in on this.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I live in FL now, I'm from MN and lived in Idaho for years, so I really do know what I'm talking about.

Snow tires on your current ride will be fine as far as traction goes. Had a buddy with a Miata in Idaho who put snow tires on for the winter and could go through snow with the best of them.

Only time you might have an issue is when you get mounds of packed/plowed snow. Chance of either messing up your front bumper or mounting your car so your wheels don't touch. And you will still have to shovel your driveway (though in Ohio, I'm sure you had the same thing). I had a cheap, 4x4 pickup mainly so I didn't have to shovel it out. Just lock in 4WD and punch it.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm not too worried about city driving its the driving up to the mountains that I'm worried about...but yeah Ohio gets a decent amount of snow. Thanks for the feedback guys!