Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Parking ticket=traffic violation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Parking ticket=traffic violation?

So, I got a ticket for parking in front of my house, like I've done for the last 11yrs. Parking on the wrong side of the street, pointing in the wrong direction. You can park on either side, just have to be pointing the right way for the side of the street you're on. I've parked this way almost every day for the last 11yrs. There have been officers over talking to us about our neighbors and never said a word about how I was parked. I've seen them drive by on their weekly cruise through the 'hood and they've never given me a ticket or stopped and told me that it wwas illegal to park in such a fashion. They laid off 3 officers in town and had 3 more retire and they aren't filling thoughs positions, so they are going around at midnight, when they wrote my ticket, and writing traffic tickets for parked cars. The ticket was marked as a traffic violation and would go on our driving records as the truck is in both of our names. Thinking about contesting it, what do you think?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in order for it to go on your driving record, they would have to identify the driver, which they can't if they just came and ticketed it while it was parked.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It should get processed as a non-moving, and shouldn't go on your record but I would contest and simply tell the judge the situation and ask for it to not show up on your record, they generally respect that and will probably lower your fine too.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thats BS
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dad had that happen to him back in the '60s (ticketed for parking facing the wrong way in front of his house when we lived on K St. in Tacoma), and it WAS given as a traffic, not parking violation, as they claimed one would have to have driven the wrong way/wrong side for it to happen... (He was the only registered driver in the family at the time.)

He got out of it for two reasons: 1) They didn't see him drive the wrong way and 2) he claimed to have just backed out of our driveway.

Since they cannot identify the driver in your case (and you don't have to tell them) I would suspect it should NOT reflect on either driver's license. No proof.

Good luck! Municipalities are grasping at straws in this economy, and will try anything to pull in the necessary money.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just went ahead and paid it. Would cost me a day off that I could use for fun rather than sitting in court all day to wait to be heard. The street in front of our house is barely wide enough for two cars to pass with no one parked on the street and there is parking on both sides of the street, so most people drive down the middle of the road. There are no lines on the road as that would make it narrower, lol.