ID, OR, WA

Toyota of Kirkland FAILED - Plz recommend a good shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota of Kirkland FAILED - Plz recommend a good shop

I recently had a whole bunch of routine work done at Toyota of Kirkland. I got my 30,000, plus a few other things, such as a tire rotation and oil change.

Well, they called me back a couple hours later to tell me that they see my alignment is off and I should have them do an alignment for $139. I allowed it. (In for a penny, in for a pound I guess). It's true the alignment WAS off, just a tad. It would eventually slowly pull to the right if I let go of the wheel.

Anyway, when I got the car back, the steering wheel was off center. It was, when driving straight, turned just a few degrees CCW. I thought I must be seeing things, so I drove it for a couple days. Sure enough, it was off. Not a lot, but just enough to drive me absolutely insane.

So, I called them back and dropped it off at ToK again to give them a chance to make it right. I came back at the end of the day to pick it up, only to find it was EXACTLY the same. The work order said the alignment was totally fine, but the wheel was, in fact, off and that they fixed it. Well, they didn't fix it. I wonder if they even bothered to look at it. It is exactly the same. If I pull the wheel into the proper position, the car pulls to the right. It's awful.

So, I told this whole story to the guy from Toyota corporate that called me to see how the service went. He told me that they would be contacting the dealership and I should expect a call from them. Well...that was over two weeks ago. They're not going to call me back.

I suppose a lot of people would jump up and down and rant and rave to the guys at the dealership about this, riding them until they got it right. I'm not like that. I prefer not to raise my blood pressure over it. I gave them a chance, they failed. I will never set foot on that property again. I'll go to Lake City or down to Michael's for my next Toyota.

ANYWAY...thanks for reading my rant. I needed to get that off my chest.
Please recommend me a shop in the Kirkland area that will fix this thing, and fix it right the first time. I don't think it's too much to ask!

Thanks in advance!
-Art
Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Lake City Toyota/ Scion FTW!! I would hit up a Firestone, get the lifetime alignment. $129, you can take it in 50 times a day and THEY HAVE TO LOOK AT IT EACH TIME! Best money into suspension I ever spent! GL and sorry to hear about dealerships giving you issues....
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Lake City Toyota/ Scion FTW!! I would hit up a Firestone, get the lifetime alignment. $129, you can take it in 50 times a day and THEY HAVE TO LOOK AT IT EACH TIME! Best money into suspension I ever spent! GL and sorry to hear about dealerships giving you issues....
Any chance of passing my car up as yours, so you can take it in? hahaha.

Sorry to hear all of your troubles. I hope everything is sorted out and karma takes its natural path.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^ they wrote down gray....
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Firestone. That's a good tip! And there's one a block from here. That pretty much settles that, I think.

Thanks, Kanchi!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

NP! Glad I could help!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YAHHHH bring it to firestone, lifetime alignments are amazing, as erik said, could do it 50 times a day and they have to look at it!!! and i believe they use steering wheel straighteners when they align the front end. in fact, i know they do. but yes get a life time alignment, any firestone in any country will align your car for free for the time you own that vehicle. only problem is that some alignment racks dont handle lowered cars as well as others do so youll have to ask them about lowered cars. but yes, i would absolutely get a lifetime alignment, problem is im a technician for firestone and long story short, i cant buy a lifetime alignment haha. but you can and you should!! +93774 for firestone.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 AM
SL Member

Clarks Wheel alignment that is located right across the street from Sharis in Kirkland is excellent.

My dad deals with autorebuild shops so he knows the ins and outs of alot of the local shops and he only ever reccomends Clarks so you should definitely go there.

I had a couple of years where I couldnt stop running into curbs so they saw me just about every 3 months. They are excellent!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your input, Thumper and GTIGirl.
I didn't think of Clarks, but I drive by it practially every day. Firestone, too. I think they're like 50 yards apart. LOL
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow why would you pay $139 for an alignment... crazy

les schwab cost me $54
Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would hit up a Firestone, get the lifetime alignment. $129..
sorry to be the debbie downer.. but I've heard horror stories about lowered cars at firestone around here.. a lot of the people complain that they actually make it worse

i've had about 4 friends who've experienced this and probably won't be going back any time soon.. as for me, I take my car over the stage performance in kirkland for alignment.. it's just $80.. small price to pay
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kev_the_rev
I would hit up a Firestone, get the lifetime alignment. $129..
sorry to be the debbie downer.. but I've heard horror stories about lowered cars at firestone around here.. a lot of the people complain that they actually make it worse
x2
firestone was working on my friends rare '63 2-door impala, it barely cleared a piece of paper.. they decided to put it on the lift but left the car in neutral and as they lifted it they dumped the car nose first which then rolled backwards and ran into 2 more cars.. they tried to claim no fault, then only paid a small amount to fix it. I will never take my car the firestone
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it's especially crazy to pay that much when they are unable/unwilling to do the job correctly. What's most important (to me) is not to make the same mistake again, hence me asking for another shop.

Live & learn I guess.