Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV
View Poll Results: Automatic or Manual for Los Angeles?
Automatic
72.00%
Manual
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Manual transmission for Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member

tsullivan -- you drive 80 miles r/t to work! that's your main issue. i'm going to be moving to West Hollywood or Burbank and the furthest distance I will drive (on an average week) would be from where i live to downtown LA or Santa Monica or even Manhattan beach.

I've decided on a manual transmission. Why?

a) more fun
b) more control
c) traffic in LA sucks during main rush hours -- i'll try to stay away from the freeways during that time if i can and learn alt routes.

plus, as i'm told from most people in LA: LA people exaggerate the traffic patterns. I'm from NJ - i'm used to traffic. LA doesn't have bumper to bumper usually. Only when accidents occur.

Manual tC it is.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now when you get your car come hang out with some of us tC drivers

www.socal-tc-club.com
Old 07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

get it and join us on a mountain run lol!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

c) traffic in LA sucks during main rush hours -- i'll try to stay away from the freeways during that time if i can and learn alt routes.
During rush hour I found there are some alt routes but for the most part those are packed with traffic also. Traffic here blows.[/quote]
Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Glad to hear that you got your car... I really think that is awsome and the choice is purely a matter of preference to the driver of the car.

You are 100% right on the manual being more fun and offering more of a driving experience that is for sure... I too would rather have a manual but I have gotten very spoiled with my BMW, it was a Steptronic (best of both worlds with out the clutch).

You asked the question... Should I get a manual or an automatic. I gave my explanations as to why I would want an auto here, it is simply a opinion.

I moved to LA bcus my fiance works in Santa Monica, I work in Irvine (Orange County). We both have very good jobs that we have been at for some time and don't want to leave. Prior to moving I lived in Mission Viejo, (So. OC) that was a 80 mile one way drive for my Fiance... we decided to split the time (not mileage) drive. It takes me 1 hour to go my 40 mile one way drive and him 1 hour to go his 11.2 mile one way drive...

When you get to LA I can assure you, you will soon see that traffic in LA is not caused solely by accidents, and is not reserved only to the freeway... and no we are not always at a bumper to bumper stand still, but in 2005 Los Angeles was gifted the title of longest commute times for residents in the country...

In any case it really doesn't matter one way or the other one bit, if you love your car (and I am sure you do) then all the traffic in the world won't stop you from wanting to drive it and I hope that you move to LA goes smooth and that you will be happy here. LA is a lot different from OC but I love it never the less and don't think (even considering the traffic) that I would ever go back.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

thanks sullivan. i appreciate that. good luck to you too. and your fiance.