Notices
Regional - Rockies CO, MT, WY

Anyone attend WYO Tech ? or know any one that did ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone attend WYO Tech ? or know any one that did ?

Hey there I was wondering if anyone around Wyoming has attended Wyo tech or know of anyone that has ? I was curious because I was just accepted to go to UTI and well I want to keep my options open so I dont regret doing so later on. My instructor that went to UTI told me to check out WYO tech so now I am. I am trying to start my own business down the road and I would like to learn how to specialize in the performance part of the industry. I would like to establish a nice resume so I can some day join a major race team. So I am trying to figure out what school would be better for the career I am pursuing. any input will be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i know that UTI has a good mechanics side. the body side which i took isnt the greatest. UTI deals with more modern cars as i have heard wyotech is more old school. they do deal with new school. also u have to take the basic mechanics, before you can take power courses.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I plan on taking the basic mechanics. I also plan on doing the performance and power train, chassis fabrication if they allow me to. thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my buddie did he said wyo is retarded he went for one semester said he is going to uti now
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why was it retarded ? what was retarded about it ?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just said it was very long drawn out didnt learn anything new and wasted some money
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
nnj
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

plus there is zero social life in wyoming, unless you like walmart and cows
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by nnj
FOSHO I was up there for a year. I was locky and it was 100 miles exactly to my parents driveway from my appartment in laramie.

But as for the school, its a tech school, they are trying to give you the basics and the theory behind everything. You have to fill in the blanks with experience and common sense. No matter how much they teach you in a tech program, you will learn more in the first year of working in the field. Dont expect them to hand you everything on a silver platter. All they can do is give you the basics. How well you apply them will determine your success.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Windu
Originally Posted by nnj
FOSHO I was up there for a year. I was locky and it was 100 miles exactly to my parents driveway from my appartment in laramie.

But as for the school, its a tech school, they are trying to give you the basics and the theory behind everything. You have to fill in the blanks with experience and common sense. No matter how much they teach you in a tech program, you will learn more in the first year of working in the field. Dont expect them to hand you everything on a silver platter. All they can do is give you the basics. How well you apply them will determine your success.
Very nicely said!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya i know that but UTI is trying to throw me in the direction of working for a dealer and I do not want to do that. I have attended a tech school before for automotive while attending high school, I know what I am doing, I just want to get the education to back me up. I am not going their for the social life i could care less, I just want to go their get my work done and move on. I emailed one of my friends that went their to see what he thought. I know my friends brother went their and now he is working for good guys painting some bad ___ stuff. so will see.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so I am going to wyotec after all. Chose them over UTI because of what I plan to pursue with my career. anyone in the area ?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
SL Member

Late reply but hey.

I live in Fort Collins witch is super close to Larimie so I would allways come home. Thats the only up side of that whole school.

If you have any pearcings plan on taking them out. I guess because piercings are an expression of who you are I feel they should be allowed or at least clear retainers should be allowed. But no, I allmost failed one of my courses because I refused to loose my industrial. It costs money, time, ect to have pieceings. Not like you can just take it out and then put it back in when you feel like it (unless youve had it for years)

So that was the first thing that really ____ed me off.

I feel that the things I learened were awesome. I allready knew alotta the basics so I flew through them quickly and got to learn alot of other stuff that others didnt because they were cought up learning those basics.
Sad thing is that I could of learned the same amount of stuff just reading online and in books. Unfortunatly I spent way too much money learning it hands on instead of experimenting.

Overall I say: FAIL

Money, time, stress, cold, lack of fun, and many other atributes lead me to this conclusion.

I feel that if I would of started out at some smaller shop and worked my way up I would be doing better now.

It seems that Wyotech really doesnt do ANYTHING for you to help you find a job afterwards. They just send you job listings in your area. They dont actually help you get positions like refering you or anything. All you have is your resume witch most places dont seem to take seriously... im not sure why but every shop I have talked to has said something along the line of they dont have time to train me, or they dont feel the Wyotech education is enough.

So yeah.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lack of fun dont matter. my girl friend is going to bel rae in denver so that will be tight. The economy is in a ____ hole so I was thinking bout after wyo tech going to work welding for a while and make some money so I can get my earnings and when the time is right open my own shop. unless I can get a good job in the automotive field right off the bat. will see thanks for the input. at every college some love it and some hate it. will see what happens.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Know two people that went there. (Wyoming campus.) One is working at Jiffy Lube making like 9.50/hr and the other is working at a bodyshop with less experience than me. He owes 40k to the school. I went to a local tech school for three semesters and it cost me $3800. Just my .02.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't know about the other responses.. you get what you work for out of any school. Myself, I have a friend who went to WYO TECH right out of high school. When he finished there he went to Lexus for 150K a year.
I would have to agree with the previous response about what you learn. I Know he did have to go to a manufacturer specific school for another year. Personally, I think 150K is definitely worth it.
Of course, Your determination to succeed is just as important as the school you choose. Someone can always go to harvard, and get a job at Circle K when they graduate. :-)
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 AM
nnj
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

BMW step program