Clear Bra? Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Clear Bra? Yay or Nay

After looking at many cars I finally went to the dealer to order a Limited WR Blue Pearl BRZ. Through some reading, and seeing some owners complain about chips their very first week of owning frs/brz I have been throwing the idea of clear braing the entire hood and front bumper around. Those were my major problem areas on the tC and this car is going to be much lower than the tC.

What do you guys think? Clear bra for these 2 areas a good or bad idea? Are they noticeable in person if I did the entire hood and bumper in hopes of not showing lines? Anyone actually do this to their frs/brz?

I had read some bad luck stories of people saying clear bras bubble, crack, or stain or yellow. Then other people that swear by them with proper care and claim years of satisfaction. From what I gather it would cost anywhere from 600-1200 dollars.

Last edited by sciontC; 05-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM

I highly recommend a clear bra if you don't want chips or the usual highway "sandblasting". I've had them installed on my Porsche's for years and on my daily drivers including my current FR-S (daily driver/track day)
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i know a guy who clear bras every car he has, which is a quite a few high end exotics. I wish i would have done it to mine before it got too bad.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM

Here are some tips:

-Don't buy through dealer, go straight to installer
-Use Expel Ultimate or Venture Shield film
-If you get bug/bird droppings, remove within two days or it will stain
-Clean your car before install for better results, remove all wax on edges!
-Stay away from cheap $ installs!
-If you get a "pre-cut" bumper tell installer, you want them to extend the template to wrap into the wheel wells and into hood
-If pre-cut bumper, remove your emblem and have them wrap into your tow hook hole. Not cut around it!
-Ask to see their work first, before letting them install your car!
-Frs hood should turn out near flawless since its a very simple shape.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I have a white tC with years of chips and oxidation, going to repaint my hood and frt bumper soon. I'm going to clear bra after paint has cured and settled in, but I heard these stain or discolor after years. Can these be removed without damage to paint surface after a year for reapplication of a new one?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by tcleazy-girl
^ I have a white tC with years of chips and oxidation, going to repaint my hood and frt bumper soon. I'm going to clear bra after paint has cured and settled in, but I heard these stain or discolor after years. Can these be removed without damage to paint surface after a year for reapplication of a new one?
Good quality Clear Bra's are designed to be removable when they need to be replaced without damaging the paint (as long as this is done by a qualified shop)

I've had them on my other cars and have not had problems with discoloration...just normal wear and tear.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM

-If repainted, let the paint cure for at least a week to two before install
-All films will yellow on a white car to a degree. How bad will depend on how well its taken care of
-It is more noticeable on a partial hood, so its recommended to get a full hood or none
-If the paint is quality and cured before install, there should be no problem removing it in years
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Senzai
Good quality Clear Bra's are designed to be removable when they need to be replaced without damaging the paint (as long as this is done by a qualified shop)

I've had them on my other cars and have not had problems with discoloration...just normal wear and tear.
When they are worn would you say your better off with a few chips and repainting the area, or have you found it visually better regardless with the clear bra even if its worn?

Thanks everyone deff. gave me a lot to think about
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a bad idea. since I lowered my tc, the front bumper got blasted. id do it, but just the bumper. that's just my personal preference