Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Scuffed up TYC Tail lights?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 PM
SL Member

Default Scuffed up TYC Tail lights?

I traded for some TYC lights and it was misty/raining that day and did not notice the TYC clear lamps (tail lights) were very scuffed and not as pretty as I thought, So, 1 step to attempting to rid this was to clear coat them and it worked great for about a week, then the haze and scuffs came back??
What the???

So, I used to rub out cars and wheel them and figured plastic would work the same...

I went with 220 to start, could see the clear coat coming off and got all of that off with the 220 along with the scuff marks, went to 320, 400, 500 and then a 1000 grit paper, wet sanding from 400 and up..
With a little bit of light rubbing compound they are almost like new again.
Now to wheel them with a high speed wheel and the light rubbing compound should bring them back to factory look...

I wanted to post this for others as the ones i see on ebay are usually scuffed like this and so that others can return them to new again..

I am new here and have not posted pics yet, i have another light to do, so maybe i will do that...

Take about 5-10 mins of sanding per grit, changing the paper, slapping off the dust and with wet sanding, use spray bottle to clean the lenz and paper often, any odd particles will leave scratches and wreck the work youve done, take your time and keep the papers clean at all times *most important*

3M finesse is a good light rubbing compound to use after the 1000 grit and can be done by hand, yet to get the sheen like new, you will need a high speed wheel yet the hand done work is MUCH nicer then it was before...

Good luck and I hope this helps anyone like it did for me, the lights are expensive to replace...

Rob
Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM
SL Member

After the speed wheel process, they look almost as perfect as new, I did not take pics though I can. Very satisfied, 99% clear again and so much better then the hazy scuffed up look..
Old 01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
SL Member

Default A Final Polish

After some time i seen that the probably could be better so i got a 3m heavier (after wet sanding) Cut wax. Used this on the lights, brand new again, perfect.

Just an update.