Notices
Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge
Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

Just test drove the fr-s 6sp...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 AM
SL Member

Default Just test drove the fr-s 6sp...

...and wow what a solid car. It's smaller than I thought it would be. Now, should I keep my cr-z or trade it in...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRADE!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trade it in lol. It may be a little ore, but I think it's worth it!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trade it in, you will not regret it, I love mine the paddle shifter is sweet.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would keep the CRZ. It is a very different niche car. Go get yourself a drift style platform if you want one too, but there are some crazy setups with that CRZ. Your going to end up losing a lot of money too, so your $25k FRS, is going to cost you more like $30k, or more.

What were you offered for the CRZ? You may be able to sell it private party.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isnt the CRZ a front wheel drive hybrid?...the Scion would be a totally different car in every way...but i must say I do like the little CRZ...it has a nice shape
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the input, I drove the car again today for about 20 min. I love the exterior, and it is the same color as my old tc, csm which hands down was the best choice. The tuned exhaust and power were great. Bucket seats were comfortable and the steering wheel felt awesome. Yet what a cheap interior and sluggish gearbox. At first I liked the gears but if you have ever drove the cr-z there is no comparison. The smooth metal on metal feel of the honda is the best gearbox I have drove yet. Back to the interior which I know shouldn't be that big of a deal because it's a performance car, but damn it's so bland. I would lose a lot if I got rid of my car. I have the touchsreen nav EX with voice command and the interior is pretty lavish for a sports car, er hybrid. I've waited for a long time for the fr-s, no problems when I had my tc. I just don't know.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, for someone like you who's car is that new, I would not do it. If it was a scion owner with a 4-5 year old tC? Go for it.

If you have all your ducks in a row (own your own house, have a good amount in savings/401k ect.) than it may be OK if you willing to "pay" $31k or so for the FRS (take in depreciation factor of your car/gap). Your car is really a cool car to own, and if the mod bug strikes you, there are a lot of things you can do with it. You have some great part support from the likes of spoon, mugen, HFP and others that offer higher end parts for your car.

I would stick it out with the CRZ. I have seen some KILLER examples of that car. And if you ever get bored of your motor, companies are dropping kswaps and turbo and turning the hybrid into a hot hatch. I know the CRZ does not get insane MPG's for a hybrid, but you would get even less if you owned the FRS, and need premium fuel to boot.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 AM
SL Member

can you show me a few examples of what you mean. just curious of the builds you're referring to.:ponder
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Comparing that CRZ to an FR-S performance wise I see it like comparing an S2000 to a Honda fit lol. I see, looks like the S2000 guys got a hand in making of driving feel for the CRZ. I've seen a CRZ in Houston built by someone named Top Secret I think. It was white and turbocharged, looked pretty good.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09csM
can you show me a few examples of what you mean. just curious of the builds you're referring to.:ponder
Dude, go get the newest issue of Honda Tuning. There are 3 BUILT CRZ's in there (on the cover). Every build has a list of parts used, tuning shops used ect. My favorite was the white mugen build. My issue came in the mail yesterday and I read it from front to back right away thinking of your post. It will help you get on the right track.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member

Got a chance to drive the new FR-S & ride as a passenger on 6-6-12. The car is amazing. Handling is superb, fun & easy to drive. The car is very forgiving with the traction control on. In sport, VSC off it becomes like a different vehicle. Yet because of the low center of gravity still very driveable.
http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p...=VIDEO0007.mp4
Old 06-09-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice, that was awesome, thanks for sharing. Camera phone I'm guessing? What issue are you referring to? Might have to go check it out.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Dude, go get the newest issue of Honda Tuning. There are 3 BUILT CRZ's in there (on the cover). Every build has a list of parts used, tuning shops used ect. My favorite was the white mugen build. My issue came in the mail yesterday and I read it from front to back right away thinking of your post. It will help you get on the right track.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Unfortunately I can't do the trade right now.

On conclusion the salesman I was dealing with went to a course lesson funded by Toyota for the dealerships yesterday in Pittsburgh. He said they had 4 or 5 fr-s's there that they tested around a track against a genesis coupe and a civic si. He says the fr-s handled the best, the si couldn't take the corners and one of the Hyundai's blew up, so he says. They weren't too knowledgeable there and will say anything, but he said they are gonna have a graphics package eventually and a premium audio option...