Scikotics
SL Member

Default MotorTrends "Best Drivers Car" comparo

http://wot.motortrend.com/best-drive...wn-246127.html

Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of these things is not like the other lol.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The Benz, Jag, and Lambo made me lol. With the Benz, brute force doesn't mean it's a good drivers car. The same goes for the Jag. And the Lambo is just better than anything they've made before so it's just good in comparison to other Lambos.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Predictions...BRZ top 3. Not far fetched, Top Gear put the GT86 at #1 in it's comparo against much costlier "super" cars.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just dont see how it stacks up to DTM style AMGs, lambo, or a rear engine RWD porsche.

I mean, you have to throw something in there that "regular" people can afford but there is no way with a capable driver, the BRZFRS would track down a MP4, lambo, AWD GTR, aston DB, s/c'd exige, ect.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to have a brzfrs in the garage, and when they work all the bugs out, toss a few more ponies in there, and offer a RS series - I will most likely pull the trigger. But I just joined the turbo civic SI ep3 club, so my need for a FRS isnt really great at the moment. Its like putting a featherweight in the ring against heavyweights... yeah they all can box. Its technical skill vs brute power. I would take any of those cars over the brzfrs if given to me and I didnt have to buy it. I am a fan of the brute power and love the GTR. Even more so, the LFA.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of the cars chosen by MT don't belong in such a comparison and most of the cars that do are absent. The not-even-close-to-worthy BRZ has already been compared to all the cars to which it deserves comparison and actually came in last place in almost all objective measures of performance, winning only subjective praise for it's "balance".

The 86/BRZ/FRS is a nice RWD car for under $30k but that's where it ends. Only an idiot would actually choose the 86 over even a base Cayman for any reason other than money.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
I just dont see how it stacks up to DTM style AMGs, lambo, or a rear engine RWD porsche.

I mean, you have to throw something in there that "regular" people can afford but there is no way with a capable driver, the BRZFRS would track down a MP4, lambo, AWD GTR, aston DB, s/c'd exige, ect.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to have a brzfrs in the garage, and when they work all the bugs out, toss a few more ponies in there, and offer a RS series - I will most likely pull the trigger. But I just joined the turbo civic SI ep3 club, so my need for a FRS isnt really great at the moment. Its like putting a featherweight in the ring against heavyweights... yeah they all can box. Its technical skill vs brute power. I would take any of those cars over the brzfrs if given to me and I didnt have to buy it. I am a fan of the brute power and love the GTR. Even more so, the LFA.

Best "drivers car" is not about being the fastest, that's why it's in this line up. Top Gear recently pitted the GT86 against super cars (Posted that here as well), it took top spot.

Top Gear thread
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216484

The criteria in which you are judging a "drivers" car from is not the criteria publications are adhering to (i.e. being the fastest). As one guy mentioned, if that is what makes a drivers car, then we would be driving around Top Fuel Dragsters. Cases can be made for those Exotic being to electronically equipped to let you have any fun, or the car has to many nannies to keep you out of trouble...etc. If they feel that way about it, they are most likely NOT going to vote it to be a great "drivers" car.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Most of the cars chosen by MT don't belong in such a comparison and most of the cars that do are absent. The not-even-close-to-worthy BRZ has already been compared to all the cars to which it deserves comparison and actually came in last place in almost all objective measures of performance, winning only subjective praise for it's "balance".

The 86/BRZ/FRS is a nice RWD car for under $30k but that's where it ends. Only an idiot would actually choose the 86 over even a base Cayman for any reason other than money.

Do you have a link to the last place finishes, cause I missed those. I've only ever seen one that was done by some fat dude in a gold fruity jacket.

So, like 1 review where he put it behind the other two vs 15-20 where it put them above the rest of the class.

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 08-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Do you have a link to the last place finishes, cause I missed those. I've only ever seen one that was done by some fat dude in a gold fruity jacket.

So, like 1 review where he put it behind the other two vs 15-20 where it put them above the rest of the class.
Do I really need to explain the difference between "objective measures of performance" and "subjective praise"?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Do I really need to explain the difference between "objective measures of performance" and "subjective praise"?
Objective, subjective....I wasn't asking for your thoughts on how they reviewed. I asked for links where it came in last. Again, I've seen 1 be it objective or subjective.

1 review where it included more than 1 car that is. Of course I've seen the Mustang V6 Track package vs BRZ "objective" performance review. Much like the Civic HFP review (taking cars that are lower and adding their performance package and compare it to a bone stock BRZ, and consider that a victory/fair just because the price is close to the same).

The other was a mix of subjective and objective. Had the Gen Coupe 2.0T, FR-S and Miata, which from an objective point of view, it bested the Miata and was a second behind the GC on the track.

Other than those two, I don't know any other reviews.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When the best drivers in the world (Foust, Keiichi Tsuchiya, etc) say that the Fr-S is junk, I will believe them. Mostly because they have spent the last 15-20 years driving the fastest (note not necessarily in a straight line) cars in the world, and have valid opinions on the matter.

Anyway, blah blah blah, pointless arguing about comparing a 30k car to a 300,000 lambo, blah blah...12 pages of nothing being accomplished.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Full Article is Up with the Ranking results.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_drivers_car/
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not bad at all. I expected the porsche to be first and thought the gtr would be second. Its weird they went with the BRZ instead of the FRS. Other reviews showed the FRS faster around tracks and people thought it was more fun because it was easier to get in a slide than the brz.