Notices
Scion iQ Owner's Lounge
2011-____ [NGJ12]

Official 2011 Scion iQ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cobb
Anyone notice the S for Sport mode next to D? I am assuming the B is for engine braking for grades. THe Honda Fit has a 1.3l engine 88hp 88lb tq and cvt. I have the fit motor and cvt in my insight and its strange to not hear it shift. It is great as the power band can be anywhere and the tranny matches it for speed. Ever have a situation in the xa where 3 was too high and 2nd too low? THe cvt eliminates that.

Cant speak for the iq, but my insight does 3500 in sport mode at highway speeds, like the xa. 1600 in drive at highway speed.

Id test drive one, would consider down the road.

I don't have a better explanation than you've given but I'm puzzled by the indicated letters (P R N D B & S) when compared with the notches. If B is the bottom of the last notch then S would be to the left of it but you could also get to it from D. Also there's no + / - above and below the S that you'd see in a gear shifting transmission. I assume it's just overriding the engine management to take the engine to the higher rpm and closer to the maximum torque so there's less engine/CVT lag when you want additional acceleration.

I look forward to actually driving it but 9-10 months away is way too long.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlstrange
I look forward to actually driving it but 9-10 months away is way too long.
Eh, nine months isn't too long. It'll give me more time to pay down my xB and hopefully make some money on it. Hopefully they're still offering the $1000 college grad rebate if and when I decide to purchase one.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like the Smart... the IQ still reminds me of a horses "road apple" with wheels under it.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know if someone mentioned this already, but on both the new tC and the iQ it looks like there is no longer a direct cable for iPods as there is an AUX jack being shown in the pictures. Anyone know more about this?

Also, I hate the idea that the iQ is going to be getting projectors (not sure on this, going off of pictures) while the xD doesn't seem to be getting them. LAME!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is cvt tranny gets better mpg compare to manual,, not sure..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Don't know if someone mentioned this already, but on both the new tC and the iQ it looks like there is no longer a direct cable for iPods as there is an AUX jack being shown in the pictures. Anyone know more about this?

Also, I hate the idea that the iQ is going to be getting projectors (not sure on this, going off of pictures) while the xD doesn't seem to be getting them. LAME!
They have a USB input now.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one connector offers more options for more people at a cheaper price. Not everyone uses an I-pod. no projectors in the JDM version of the Ist means no projectors for the xD.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PhatPauly
That was another turn-off. I remember hearing the same calculation on the iQ forum. 60-64 mpg equivalent, or something like that. Too good to be true.
I have re-read some UK tests and the 55-60 mpg seems to be the real world numbers for the 1.0L engine. Ours will have the 1.3L.

There is something else at play....that is upstaging the Prius gas mileage without the iQ being a hybrid. I doubt many Prius buyers would gravitate to the iQ for better mileage and a lower price.

Price? I saw one American source say that the iQ may cost close to $20K! That is ridiculous....I would imagine it may cost the same as the xD.

I have had some defect problems with my Yaris drivetrain and the Regional rep said Toyota is trying to make it harder for us to get manuals. Are we bad clutchers?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The guy at the Autoshow said it won't be more than $16k. If that's true that's still way to much for this car.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriverXa
The guy at the Autoshow said it won't be more than $16k. If that's true that's still way to much for this car.
Agreed. An MSRP of $16K would be a bit too high for this kind of car. Price it between the Smart Fortwo and xD, that seems pretty fair.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

great big city car. Hope the 16k price is the fully loaded model!

Maybe the B on the tranny stands for Boo Yaaah!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Cool

Anyone else thinking about dremeling out the SCION letters in the door panels and sticking lights behind them?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind the smart takes preminum fuel and is rwd. It has a cvt with paddle shifters and is a 2 seater. The passenger and driver sit slightly off from each other so you do not bump elbows. What I liked was that they offered a convertible.

I went to the checkered flag dealer in VA Beach a year ago. They do not take trades, just purchases. They say on the easter shore people get between 40-50 mpg. Much like other hybrid nad prius owners, I have been passed by a many smarts. Drive an economy or hybrid car correctly and you can almost double your epa est.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5MKJit5I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5P3RSXnUz8

Yeah, 16 grand is a bit much, but I am sure they will take trades. I drive 500 miles a week mostly interstates 95, 64, 295 and hwy 460. Sure I wished I had a blown tc, my 09 xb or super charged tacoma, but I like buying 9 gallons of regular gas after going over 500 miles. I like to know I can go another 80 miles once the low gas light comes on.

Basically you out brake the other guy to merge and look way down the road to look for trouble so you can merge before all the cars bunch up and you end up stuck in a lane as your traffic is going 15mph the lanes around you 70+.

Yeah, I like my geo metro and its 5 speed, but the cvt is awesome. I am never in a situation where one gear is too high, another too low and end up going some strange speed holding up traffic and worrying I am either lugging the engine or about to throw a rod.

The cvt finds the sweet spot and I can keep if not exceed traffic. I drove from Waverly, VA to Dumfries, Va to ptuning and back going 70 the whole way once on the interstates and got 54 mpg and kept with traffic with my insight. Sure I got paddle shifters, but I only use the - one for engine braking. I use sport mode for stop n go traffic in the early mornings below 45mph and turn offf econ mode for traffic above 45mph where I need mroe throttle response.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/2011-scion-iq/

Anyway, I am sure with more horses than the Fit or Insight and a lighter curb weight, this car is going to rock. I am sure with the E-brake you can easily do donuts around a hybusa equipped smart.

Keep in mind in addition to the better fuel economy its also lower emissions, ULEV-II.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Drive an economy or hybrid car correctly and you can almost double your epa est.

No one can double EPA estimates by driving correctly. If you drive your car gingerly - you may approach them.

Nice marketing ploy of Smart - "we don't take trades"
Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there was a vert iQ concept in Japan last year. looked cool
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My epa is 40/43. The prius its easy to get over 100 on the original setup with careful driving.

Originally Posted by Pauly-FL
No one can double EPA estimates by driving correctly. If you drive your car gingerly - you may approach them.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

That's over a whopping 10 miles, FAR from being credible.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10 miles is good enough for the epa.

Yeah you are right, on average I can get 67mpg time and time again at 55mph. 79.5mpg is hard to do and you need to be on your toes. You just cant set the cruse and listen to phil hendrie repeats, black sabbath or acdc in the right lane with your mirrors turned away.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I drive my Jetta hard and get about 48mpg on the highway effortlessly
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Must be nice. I'm assuming you have a diesel?

If the iQ is going to get roughly 38MPG combined city and highway, I will be saving roughly $800 in fuel per year by selling my xB (combined 26MPG) and buying one of these. That, and my payment will drop significantly.

On paper, it is starting to make more and more sense to pick an iQ up. Hopefully the test drive is good!

Quick Reply: Official 2011 Scion iQ Thread