Notices

IQ in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default IQ in the snow

I'd like to put four snow tires on the stock steel rims, and in the spring get some alloy wheels, and put the stock summer tires on those. That way I'd have snows on their own wheels, ready to go next year. The TPMS units complicate this plan. I'd rather have them in the summer tires, rather than have to purchase a new set and keep reprogramming.
How are other owners handling this?
Thanks,
J.R.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I left the TPMS units in my stock wheels when I changed my wheels and tires. I've just gotten used to the light on the dash. It doesn't effect the performance at all, just activates the warning light.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put the tires in the trunk!

Just kidding! You don't even have a trunk! I would think that would be a good dealer question? If the winter rims had the same sensors I would think you would be all set assuming they can be keyed to your receiver in the car. Oops you don't want to buy another set hummm, they are there for a reason and probably required BY LAW for your safety. Put the money you save on gas towards the second set.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member

My understanding was that each sensor has a unique serial number, and that the car can only keep track of four at a time. Too bad it can't deal with six or eight, and know that any four of those are ligit.
I guess that the conventional wisdom is to just put up with the warning light. Since in New Hampshire, snowtire season is December through March, I guess the sensors should go in the summer tires, and consider the warning light part of the festive winter season.
I'd rather not buy additional TPMS sensors, that cost almost as much as a new tire, or have the hassle of getting the car's computer reprogrammed. Although it seems some automobile manufacturers have allowed the car owner to do the re-programming themselves, for free.
I had a low tire pressure warning system on my old MINI Cooper that worked well for me twice (both times slow leaks), but in its old age stopped working with the light continuously on.
I think the TPMS is probably a good idea, especially that the IQ does not have a spare tire, and depends on putting goo in the flat tire to get you going. A little warning is better than none.
Maybe somebody will step in and make this system more user friendly and less expensive.
J.R.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually what you need is a set of cloned sensors! Now there is a market!

http://www.standardbrand.com/TPMS-TP...s/Content.aspx

http://www.ez-sensor.com/?gclid=CJDU...FemiPAodsS8AbA
Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Good information

Thanks for the good info.
I'm glad someone has filled this niche.
I'll have a few months of winter driving with snows on the stock wheels, before I buy some alloy rims and remount the summer tires (if they fit).
The clonable valve stems sound like a good solution.
Thanks again,
J.R.

Last edited by Rosenfelder; 11-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.