SL Member
Premium Member

oh this is nice! this will keep SL clean
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it probably won't keep ScionLife clean, Ace, but it does make it more fair and does make an infraction a memorable event.

It being memorable is what might help prevent recurrences, that split-second pause before hitting [Post] that might prevent a mistake. ;)

Last edited by Tomas; 09-22-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

This is a great idea.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
Sometimes a judge extends a little lenience and gives you probation instead of throwing you in prison.
And, to continue your analogy, the guy who was extended a "little lenience" quickly learns that the law has no teeth and continues to violate the law.

A few days off from posting to a forum is hardly a death sentence. I'll bet that you're a bit more careful to actually look at the pictures you post these days, right? That's the desired goal.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
It just seems like the system was quick to jump to a ban instead of maybe a warning to say "hey, that picture/text/etc...was out of line" as a reminder.

Sometimes a judge extends a little lenience and gives you probation instead of throwing you in prison.
Actually the mods do have the ability on a a select few infractions to give a "warning" with no points attached, but in the discussions we've had about that, behind closed doors, that should be a very rare occurrence.

(See the chart above for those few things they can just give no-point warnings on...)

One of the first things a mod will look at if they are even considering a warning instead of an infraction with points is to see if the person breaking the rules is a relative n00b. If they are, they might cust them a little slack.

If they have been here longer than half the mods, though, they definately know the rules, and there really aisn't an excuse for breaking them as their might be with a relative n00b.

99 and 44/100ths percent of the time, if a mod has to take action on one of the listed items, there will be points.

(Notice also that there is a "fill-in-the-blank" classification for those things that I didn't think of, but need action. There shouldn't be too many things that don't fit one of my pre-set classifications, I tried to cover most things that happen, but if something odd shows up, they can write it in, and if I see it enought times, I'll add it to the list. So far I only know of one "special" infraction, i wrote it, and I don't expect it to happen again, so I didn't add it.)

Tom

P.S. I'll also be "fine tuning" the points and lengths of time as we get more experience with this new system, so actual numbers may change without notice...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Just as an indication of how rare actual suspensions are, out of about 65K registered members, there are currently only six on suspension and two of those expire in less than 24 hours.)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
SL Member

I have a question, can I get a definition of Post spamming?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

post spamming:
- to post the same subject in different areas of the forum or in many different threads

- posting to merely to increase your post count
most obvious when you are replying to a topic without adding much input or asking a simple questions that have been answered before (an obvious sign that no effort was made in searching prior to starting the thread)

such as this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176352

if you are wondering if your recent influx of posts that you've done recently qualify for that... not really.. but a few posts could be questionable.. i do highly suggest against spamming to get SL member status to post in PPC (if that's ultimately your goal). it is never good to draw attention to yourself in a bad way

contribute to the forum in a meaningful manner, and you'll reach it eventually. rules are placed for certain reasons, and regardless of opinion nor stance of such rules, they are to be respected, followed, and will be enforced.

if you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 11-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
but it does make it more fair and does make an infraction a memorable event.

It being memorable is what might help prevent recurrences, that split-second pause before hitting [post] that might prevent a mistake. ;)

yes it does..
Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Tomas
No, it probably won't keep ScionLife clean, Ace, but it does make it more fair and does make an infraction a memorable event.

It being memorable is what might help prevent recurrences, that split-second pause before hitting [post] that might prevent a mistake. ;)

I could not agree more. I actually saw one of my good friends and was also a long time SL member like myself pick up and leave SL because he could not get away from some of the "bad-apples" that are an unfortunate presence on SL. He is a professional auto painter and is certified by Toyota. He took the time to put a number of DIY threads that were very detailed up here. So it was a shame to lose a member like that to the "riff raff" that were not abiding by SL rules.

Hopefully the things discussed in this thread will really help make SL the great site it once was (that us senior members remember)... and can be again.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3 Quick Questions:

1)If a thread goes off topic and others continue the off topic nature. Do they all get banned?

2)Should a mod throw out a back on topic post or warning to all involved before the "clicks of death" ban begin?

3)If the click and boom and your gone happens. Would a quick link for members that wish to protest this be possible while you are banned so at least another Mod or Admin could review?
That away it has teeth but also a second look to make sure somebody was not just having a bad Mod day?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If a whole thread goes off topic with everyone, typically it will just be cleaned up (off topic posts deleted) and a message added from a Mod to keep it on topic.

That kind of answers #2.

As for instant bans... depends. I don't think there is ever an "official" review. If it's just a temp ban (which most are), it doesn't matter. It's to teach a lesson really. No real "protest" needed as the person will be back. If someone is prema-banned - there is often some sort of discussion between the mods before or after about the situation. We are almost always in agreement on these though.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rickbreitenfeldt
3 Quick Questions:

1)If a thread goes off topic and others continue the off topic nature. Do they all get banned?
Unless taking the thread off topic or disrupting the thread is just one more in a long string of infractions, no one is banned, but one or more may be "suspended," in other words given a short "time out" to get their attention and give them time to reconsider the appropriateness of their actions.

2)Should a mod throw out a back on topic post or warning to all involved before the "clicks of death" ban begin?
The mod(s) will step in and issue infractions to those people breaking the rules they promised to follow, if the infraction points exceed the clearly published limits, the system automatically suspends the member's 'license to post' for a short fixed time to ensure the member realizes they got the infraction, and as a minor 'time out.'

Often times the disruption or hijacking will cause a string of follow-on posts responding to the post(s) that hijacked or disrupted the intent of the thread. Since those folks are merely playing "follow the leader" and responding to the post(s) ahead of them, usually they are not given infraction points, but their posts will be deleted to get the thread back on topic.

These "clean-ups" often take considerable staff time, and are yet another reason for us to make certain those originally causing the extra work are made aware of the problem they created via warnings, infractions or suspensions.

3)If the click and boom and your gone happens. Would a quick link for members that wish to protest this be possible while you are banned so at least another Mod or Admin could review?
That away it has teeth but also a second look to make sure somebody was not just having a bad Mod day?
Infractions are actually reviewed on a regular basis by site administration. The reviews are not immediate, but usually will happen within 24 hours. Notification of infractions given by the mods is automatically given by the system to the site administrator.

If there are serious questions about an infraction, there are numerous ways to contact the proper people by PM, email, and the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the pages.

It should be painfully obvious that polite, rational objections / questions based on facts are more productive that emotional outbursts or angry retorts.

Errors are sometimes made in the giving of warnings or infractions, and when those errors are made we do try to correct them, BUT, if the infraction is clearly valid, and was given for a clear breaking of the rules, it will usually stand.

Keep in mind that each and every one of us promised to follow the site rules before being permitted to post here, that those rules are simple and logical and readily available for examination, and that posting on any privately owned and maintained site is a privilege granted not a right taken.

I hope that helped answer your questions.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

We usually try to say "Hey back on topic" or something similar which should be a clue... the infraction mostly come after someone gets nasty because we cleaned up a thread
Keep in mind we do not like to suspend or ban members
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you three.

I feel better about this sytem then I did.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i'm glad i read this thread. LOL i've only been posting since sept 2008 (when i bought my first xD)

I agree with all topics, and glad that i don't (think) i have any points.

I try to stay positive, but i have had some posts edited by mods, which now that i look back, agreeable to their editing.

Yes, there's times we all mess up and have a bad day. Might hit send then regret it later. It happens, but if you learn, and refrain from doing it again, you've become a better person.

But, as stated before, there are those few who will never learn. I think this system is great for cracking down on those that need it.

Thanks for a great forum, since i've never mentioned it before.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

We try to keep it as pleasant as possible around here.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
We try to keep it as pleasant as possible around here.
why yes we do.......