C&D Feb/06: xB wins "Rebelious Boxes"

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default C&D Feb/06: xB wins "Rebelious Boxes"

I have just had my Feb 06 C & D magazine.

It has a comparison test between

1. Honda Element

2. Scion xB

3. Pt Cruiser

4. Chevrolet Cruiser (Sorry HHR)

The xB really impessed the panel with its smooth shifter and good clutch. It won on gas mileage, lateral g, price and simplicity of design being compared to the original Mini Cooper or Datsun 510 - "that were frisky and eager and inspired us to be car guys forever".

"Few cars promise so little as the xB and deliver so much".

1st. xB (natch)

2nd. Pt Cruiser

3rd. HHR

4th. Element

BTW the car that was the biggest came in last. Hopefully Toyota gets Car and Driver
and not mess around with the design and BLOAT the xB into some Element's ba$tard child.
Pick up a copy its a really good write up.

I know I'm a tC guy but, THE BOX ROX

If it says Scion I like it.One love
Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to pick up the Feb. issue.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Finally.

Usually, a Honda will win a C&D comparo, even if they don't have car in the article.

Same with Motor Trend, but not as bad.

That's cool.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Cool find . . . I will pick up on monday
Old 12-25-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although I would think Toyota would have sense enough not to mess up the box...I think they will make it bigger like the element...cuz for some reason...most americans love their big cars....
keep it simple and reliable please!!! I love my boxxx!!
merry christmas--- happy holidays
Old 12-25-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Car and Driver Feb 2006: Scion xB wins "Rebelious B

Originally Posted by Celt
I know I'm a tC guy but, THE BOX ROX

If it says Scion I like it.One love
Old 12-26-2005, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not surprised to hear about our beloved boxes. (We have two of them.) Toyota is supposed to do a redesign for 07 model year and yes, we hear too that it will be bigger. (I'm wondering if part of the redesign reason is that not only has the xB been a success in the under 30 market but maybe too much of a success, like my wfie and I, in the over 50 market. Every xB we buy means loss of a Highlander or Camary (yech) sales.

Isn't there an old saying about "If its not broken, don't fix it. I don't understand marking of cars. I would trade in for a new (not redesigned xB) every few years for the rest of my life.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

link anyone
?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GooseNaBoxxx
Although I would think Toyota would have sense enough not to mess up the box...I think they will make it bigger like the element...cuz for some reason...most americans love their big cars....
keep it simple and reliable please!!! I love my boxxx!!
merry christmas--- happy holidays
#1 best mod that they could ever do:

NEW ENGINE

I would have bought a box if it wasn't for the lawnmower engine :\
Old 12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sweet...I will be picking myself up one of those...GO BOX
Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew i make the right decision when i got my box
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YellowSubxB
Not surprised to hear about our beloved boxes. (We have two of them.) Toyota is supposed to do a redesign for 07 model year and yes, we hear too that it will be bigger. (I'm wondering if part of the redesign reason is that not only has the xB been a success in the under 30 market but maybe too much of a success, like my wfie and I, in the over 50 market. Every xB we buy means loss of a Highlander or Camary (yech) sales.

Isn't there an old saying about "If its not broken, don't fix it. I don't understand marking of cars. I would trade in for a new (not redesigned xB) every few years for the rest of my life.
Totally agree with you on this. It would be nice to have had this model a few more years. I am over 50 and to me the xB is the most practical auto available right now. It reminds me a whole lot of the 1971 VW Super Beetle (bought one back then) in that it delivers the best combination of what is most desireable in a car at this point in time for me. High mpg, auto trans, low investment.... and all the other things previously mentioned numerous times
Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
link anyone
?
Not yet... just keep an eye on their website...

It is a pretty fair comparo. I can't believe the box whipped a turbo!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rickisan - In our enthusiasm (and maybe because of it) , I believe that the xB is going to be seriously redesigned like the new bB with a hyped up sound system and coordinated interior lighting in order to appeal more to the younger crowd. According to Toyota, I'm sure, every time a 50 plus like us buys an xB it's a loss of a sale of a Camry (yech) or a Highlander (too tight inside.) Although I did not have a VW back in the 1960s (for some reason I was driving a boat known as a Chrysler Newport) I clearly see the parallel between the xB and the Beetle - unusual shape, low price, high mileage, practical, easy to repair. Although I'm not happy with the origin of the VW - the "People's Car" designed under **** rule, the concept of a small , inexpensive but functional car for the masses was, and still is, a great idea. I think Toyota should run with the idea and make the xB the world's second best selling car, right after the Corolla. Unfortunately, market pressure on Toyota, not always common sense, will cause the demise and/or major redesign of the xB. Such is life in supply and demand marketing.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: C&D Feb/06: xB wins "Rebelious Boxes"

Originally Posted by Celt
I have just had my Feb 06 C & D magazine.
Dude! How did you get your issue of C&D on the 24th?? Mine just came yesterday. I think the beloved postal workers are taking liberties with my subscription. SON OF A...

Anyways, thanks for posting the thread. I was just going to. Great article. Love to see the xB emerge victorious YET AGAIN. It's personally validating, what can I say.

And to think the other car I initially considered was an Element! There but for the grace of God...and the Element's overBOOSTed steering, tippy handling, seating for only 4, lame plastic cladding, cheap interior, and bare bones base DX trim--go I.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would trade in for a new (not redesigned xB) every few years for the rest of my life.
Ditto!!!

Unfortunately, market pressure on Toyota, not always common sense, will cause the demise and/or major redesign of the xB.
Alas, YellowSubxB, I fear you may be right on the money. If that new xB concept they've been shopping around becomes the next generation, woe is us.

It always happens, sigh. Just when you think they've got it down--as in our case with the xB--they start messing with near perfection.

But I suppose that's how we ended up with the xB in the first place. It evolved from everything before it (even though I am considering suing Toyota for the design trademark; I concepted the xB when I was 5, and I have the scrawl to prove it! )

I, too, would never buy a joke Camry or Highlander. Despite inevitable corporate greed, someone at the head office must realize that the older demographic of xB buyers isn't going to just clone graduate into tepid offerings like those. Look, I wasn't considering any Toyotas at all until I saw the xB in Autoweek, so for me, the Scion didn't just rejuvenate interest, it created it. If the xB goes the way of the Pontiac Aztec, I'll start writing my congressman about the Nissan Cube.

To Toyota's credit, though, things like the FJ Cruiser and the Yaris are queued up for market. Keepin' it fresh over there...hopefully it will last for awhile longer.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Available Online
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10524