Lexus Performance Division on the Horizon

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Lexus Performance Division on the Horizon

The buzz has it that Lexus is going to give the performance division another try. L-Tuned, a faded styling brand of Lexus, is going to be given another chance to muscle up the Toyota luxury line. According to Automotive News...

Its first try, in 2000, at countering high performance from BMW's M Division and Mercedes-Benz's AMG group fizzled badly and was scrapped in 2003. But Lexus' U.S. executives are pressing Japan headquarters to give it another shot.

"The first L-Tuned vehicles were more about cosmetic changes than performance," Jim Lentz, COO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said last week at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

With a sportier redesign of the IS 250 and IS 350 sedan - and with coupe and convertible variants likely - the situation is different today than a few years ago. L-Tuned versions also could work well with the GS 450h hybrid and the just-launched LS 460 sedan, Lentz said.
Well, Ironman273 over at carspyshots.net brought a little more insight to the revelation...

I received a little more information today. The performance division of Lexus will be "F", as in IS-F and GS-F. The IS-F will look distinctive to a "regular" IS, more so than an M3 to a 3-series.

Speculation is that the GS430 will not be replaced by a GS460 but instead with a GS-F with the same 5.0L V8 from the IS-F. It would also get a body upgrade in the process.
The fact that Lexus is going to push the envelope and break from their traditional tendencies could spell trouble for the european brands. Up to now the American manufacturers have been pummeled by Toyota's relentless drive for quality and quantity, but the european brands have had excitement and performance in their corner. Now that Lexus plans to steal some of the Euro's thunder will we see even more growth? Is it possible?

My prediction? Everyone will be driving a Toyota in 2010.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I remember L-Tuned. Now lets see what they can come up with. How bout LRD?? (Lexus Racing Development) LRD doesnt sound good.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LAPD - Lexus Auto Performance Development

It would definitely tell you they will beat on anyone and everyone.

Seriously, I think L-tuned is a good name. Short and not a typical 3 letter acronym.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

id like to see what L-Tuned could do. Especially after driving their whole line at the lexus events, it should be interesting (plus toyota's race history)
Old 11-19-2006, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

The idea of performance Lexus vehicles is awesome, but I think Lexus should stay away from the word "Tuned". The average Lexus buyer that isn't a true car enthusiast who would really tune their car. Most people buy a Lexus for the superior quality and so they can say they own a fancy car. It's the same reason somebody would buy a Cadillac if the same vehicle is offered cheaper with a GM or Chevy logo.

Lexus' image is too classy and upscale to be associated with teenagers and their tuner cars. The performance division needs a new name.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about lexus performance
Old 11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like always, the Japanese auto maker Lexus included is another step behind. BMW has equiped their 3 series with turbo. I suggest Lexus do the same to the IS250 6 spds to get a feel for the market. Provided that they'll have the same reliability as before.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

you cant engineer a fun to drive car. im sure all the reviews are going to say "nice car but to soft"
Old 11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
you cant engineer a fun to drive car. im sure all the reviews are going to say "nice car but to soft"
How else are fun to drive cars made? I'm pretty sure a stork doesn't drop them off at dealerships across the globe.

Car manufacturers often choose to hold back on the fun/sporty aspects of a car for all sorts of reasons like the market it's targeted for, cost, practicality, etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Yanick
Originally Posted by YourNameHere
How else are fun to drive cars made? I'm pretty sure a stork doesn't drop them off at dealerships across the globe.

Car manufacturers often choose to hold back on the fun/sporty aspects of a car for all sorts of reasons like the market it's targeted for, cost, practicality, etc.
i agree! alot of times the same car they sell in europe has sharper handling and quicker steering than the american models just because they think the americans will appreciate the softer ride more. for those who want the stiffer suspension and the quicker steering, its $2500-$3500 and its known as the sport suspension package
Old 11-21-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good Concept.
Bad brand name ~ give it a better name than "L-Tuned" (i.e. T.M.S. = Toyota Motor Sports, T.E. = Toyota Evolution, or something out of the box). Brainstorm ~ Lexus/Toyota/Scion

Most importantly, FUNCTION over FORM ~ i.e. not so much cosmetic, but Complete performance intended.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

to explain my comment further...Lexus can not engineer the fun-to-drive-factor that BMW and Audi have in there cars. it comes from years and years and years of refinment. Everytime you read a review of a lexus compared to a german sports sedan it always says the handeling is to soft. Lexus wont go for the hardcore enthusists, they are always the plush sports sedan. and they should stick to that, its worked well for them. they make the kind of car you take your farther inlaw for a ride in to impress him...not the kind you take his daughter out in to impress her
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As we all know, Lexus isn't hurting becuase it is the embodiment of luxury and refinement, adding in quality. However, along with the luxury and refinement, I think it would benefit Lexus to EXPAND its customer base to the younger crowd as well. I think the IS would be a great platform to test out the new "L-Tune" lineup. From there, start offering some supercharged versions of the LS models to match that of the AMG brands and so forth. Test the waters, get their feet wet, before diving headfirst into the pool.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what I would like to see

Lexus-A

It is simple, clean and precise.

A=Attitude

The ad copy would write itself.

Fun cars with sportier tuning.
German styling with Japanese reliability
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member

Allow me to chime in.
L-tuned was honestly a 1/2 arsed effort. It was only initially for the GS 430 in 2001 offering springs/shocks/ wheels made by O.Z side skirts, a grill and exhaust.
We on www.clublexus.com as well as others have bought the parts mostly seperately. It was like a $6000 package and to most not worth the money.

The IS was more of the same, different grill/wheels/shocks/exhause and a full bodykit.

L-tuned was discontinued a couple years ago.

In Europe, there is TTE, Toyota Team Europe who has performance parts for Lexus. We also buy TRD and Toms parts as well as tons others.

Hopefully if L-tuned comes back, they do bring some engine changes and more noticeable changes to Lexus.

My sources do indicate "F" is the moniker for "Flagship" (in each respective line, the internal code for the first LS 400 was F-1, Flagship 1).

The IS-F with the 5.0 V-8 from the LS is first.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Lexus' image is too classy and upscale to be associated with teenagers and their tuner cars."
Ha! You should come to dallas... about 1 in 10 lexus's here ARE tuners, and about 1 in 4 are driven by teenagers...

And most of them can leave a tC in the dust too.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait to see what L-tune with come out with.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

i like the is-f idea...

believe me, these babies aint failin, but they are the bad boys in the class...

another ad campain that could write itself... if lexus would stop using the 90 year old tellin me its the december to remember sales event for 2 seconds!