Notices

Rumor: Hybrids will be Prius, not Toyota, brand by 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Grand_Pollock
Just wait until the hybrids have to report using the new gas standards. I understand the some could take a 40% hit on their MPG's
Honda will be hit the hardest by the new standards. Their hybrids, in real world driving, are only a few mpg's over their single motor variants.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in consumers minds, more "brands" equal more choices for cars. consumers will think "I'm thinking of a car, but I'm not sure if I shuold I get a toyota, prius or scion."

it's how retail shops do it. people don't want you to show them "best" they want to see"choices".
Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why I think this is just rumor:

Toyota's been at the frontlines for trying to get hybrid powertrains to be mainstream. Making hybrid powertrains mainstream means higher demand, lower production costs, and bigger return on the hybrid investment. They will always have a "Prius". A model in which they make a geek's wet dream that is chock filled with the latest gadgets and efficiency tweaks. It will always be some sort of vanguard vehicle for their new technologies, and from it they will gauge consumer interest and trickle the success of the technologies down to other cars (keyless FOB start, back-up camera, LED lights, etc).

Toyota has always banked on its success at playing to the majority. The Prius was an accidental success, but then not everyone wants to drive a car that screams eco-snubbery. Some want to mainly drive an inconspicuous car that, just by side-benefit, gets a nice gas efficiency boost than their gas-only counterparts (Camry, Highlander).

To further segregate Toyota's hybrid powertrains only regresses what they've been trying to do in the last 10 years. And Toyota is not a company that would be that stupid...
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think there is a large enough green segment to make this work. look at the huge hit al gore is right now for inconvinient truth (which i haven't seen, but keep meaning to bump on my netflix). I think the part about axing any hybrid toyota is weird, but having a seperate line specifically for hybrids is a winner to me. They would probably focus on pro environment points in their advertising.
I can see it being huge here in california.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Why does America demand different badges? Can't we just be like Japan and label everything Toyota makes, a Toyota? Instead of Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Prius.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default correction

[quote="Jayrock39"]Why does America demand different badges? Can't we just be like Japan and label everything Toyota makes, a Toyota? Instead of also Lexus, Prius, and Scion?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sounds like a brand like Scion but with a more enviroment hipy look, probably will come with its own flower holder like the volkswagen beetle lol
Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Until hybrids come down in price I will not be getting one. Take a coroalla over a prius, similar in size. A loaded corolla goes for around 17,500, they get around 32 mpg. Lets say you drive 15 k a year and you have a five year car loan. You would spend 1406 a year on fuel and have a car payment of and have a monthy payment of 345 a month totalling 4140 year. Now take a prius at 45 mpg. You would spend 1k a year on fuel and have a payment of 475 a month (figuring the prius is around 25k). The prius would cost you 500 bucks more a year. When it will cost the same to buy a hybrid, then I will buy one. I also do agree that this is a way for toyota to market to the tree hugging hippes who want to show they love the earth more than you and have more money than you.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

Java,

Lets look at cel phones. Are you the kind of person that pays more for one that has all the latest gizmos, has a longer lasting battery, and the latest functions? Or, do you just take one of the free ones?

You cannot compare a Prius to a Corolla, and if you do you need to use better numbers. The Prius will average over 50 MPG, not 45. Also, the Prius is less expensive to maintain, you forgot to factor that in. The Prius uses drive by wire technology, even has electric steering. Less maintenance costs, less impacts on the enviroment as no tranny fluid or oil to dispose of. And yes, the emissions are a selling point to many people.

It will never cost the same to buy a Hybrid. Would you expect a I4 Camry to cost the same as a V6? If not, then why should a Hybird cost the same as a similar vehicle? Think about it, even if your numbers are right, an increase of close to 50% better gas mileage, lower maintenance costs, and better technology - and the manufacturer should sell the cars at the same price?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I am looking at it as basic transportation. I really don't factor in the cost of maintenance because I do my own. When looking at a car I look at the bottom line, if you include insurance, they are more expensive. The people who by hybrids, the ones I have encountered, care more about showing that they love the earth than actually helping the environment. And when it comes to things like electric powersteering I can get that on cheaper cars like the new xB. And yes a prius does get around 45 mpg. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Prius
Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like the EPA info you are looking at is based on what 45 individuals are reporting, is that correct? I know of 5 people that average well over 50MPG, I need to tell them to go to the site and report their findings.

I will wait for the sticker to change at the end of the year, as soon as Toyota puts the 2008's into the new system.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

The EPA info is the new estimated milage. What people report are not factored into that. If I drive mostly city in a hybrid you probably will get more than fifty, if you are like most americans and live in the burbs, work in the city and drive on the highway getting closer to 45 mpg is probably more realistic.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

That new system is confusing, mostly because they are applying pre-determined factors to existing results. I still want to see the results after they run each vehicle through the new process. Like the EPA numbers on the Subaru models only went down 2 MPG, but on most examples on the fueleconomy website cars have gone down 4 MPG and more.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bc
This is totally against all the recent official Toyota announcements and long term plans.

All of Toyota's official information clearly states they plan to offer a Hybrid option within each line. This started with the Highlander, and is further demonstrated in the Camry redesign, as well as the new Highlander redesign.
No, it isn't. Looks like Toyota is having a line of hybrid-only cars (the Prius line) plus having hybrid versions of many/most of thier normal models.

They already do this now-they have the Prius, and the Camry Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid and the Lexus hybrids.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jayrock39
Why does America demand different badges? Can't we just be like Japan and label everything Toyota makes, a Toyota? Instead of Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Prius.
In Japan, Toyota's has had multiple branding schemes, with seperate dealer networks, for years, long before we even had Lexus. They've simplfied it somewhat recently, but, in general, they have a variety dealers in a similiar manner as GM does in the US-but they have the market share to back it up over there, unlike GM these days.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by javastan
Until hybrids come down in price I will not be getting one. Take a coroalla over a prius, similar in size. A loaded corolla goes for around 17,500, they get around 32 mpg. Lets say you drive 15 k a year and you have a five year car loan. You would spend 1406 a year on fuel and have a car payment of and have a monthy payment of 345 a month totalling 4140 year. Now take a prius at 45 mpg. You would spend 1k a year on fuel and have a payment of 475 a month (figuring the prius is around 25k). The prius would cost you 500 bucks more a year. When it will cost the same to buy a hybrid, then I will buy one. I also do agree that this is a way for toyota to market to the tree hugging hippes who want to show they love the earth more than you and have more money than you.
Your right Javastan about the cost between a corolla and pirus. Your forgetting a big factor though. The pirus pumps out far less emissions.
also...
1. Whats with the tree hate? Things would really be horrible without trees.
2. Redneck
3. So the only reason anyone would do something to benefit the earth and us all is to make you look bad? The world doesn't revolve around you Javastan. Get a grip on your paranoia.