Notices

Scion May Break Promise, Add Fourth Model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion May Break Promise, Add Fourth Model?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/25/s...-fourth-model/

When Toyota's youth brand was born, there was an unwritten rule that it wouldn't grow beyond three models. Years later, Scion is an unqualified success having sold 170,000 units of the xA, xB and tC last year, which has Toyota execs wondering if just a few more units could be sold with a fourth model. The Car Connection got Scion's corporate manager Steve Haag to admit his brand does need to expand. Haag told TCC, "We have to offer more products, (though) we want to remain small."

Though a fourth vehicle, if produced, would still have to be an entry-level model to be called a Scion, Haag hinted that it would likely be something bigger and more expensive than what Scion currently offers. Haag also acknowledged that despite the green image of parent company Toyota, Scion models aren't fuel efficient enough to attract environmentally conscious car shoppers. As such, Scion could get its own hybrid as a fourth model.

The question is can Scion sell 200,000 units a year with its current three-model lineup, which includes the redesigned xB, all-new xD and tC, or will a fourth be needed to break through the ceiling? What type of model do you think Scion should sell next, or should it nix a fourth car and concentrate on improving the three it currently sells?
What do you think? Should it be a larger car or like someone posted on autoblog an aygo based car
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think Scion needs a smaller car than the xD. Some people are guessing a mini-SUV kinda like the Chevy Trax concept.

I think they should make something along the lines of the old CCX concept! That would be wild.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally love the tC, but I feel it time they move on. The reason...too many are being sold now for just the general public as "cheap cars". The main thing about this would be the after market. Would it stop because they aren't making anymore or would the aftermarket for Scion stop completely because Scion would be changing lines every 4-5 yrs. If so, that could greatly hurt Scion in the long run, but a line can only last so long IMO. I like this write up here http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/12/s...sales-in-2007/ Helps our resale value a little on retention. I'd say the new xB is van-ish enough, the xD is small enough, now they need something to replace the tC and I'm not digging another suv/van type vechicle. Maybe making something towards the line of the FUSE concept. Two seater coupe with v6 maybe...with a 6spd m/t 5spd a/t maybe? Starting around 18k, sounds like it could be a seller to me. The future awaits and Scion is full of surprises
Old 05-26-2007, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
now they need something to replace the tC
Only thing is that this article is talking about ADDING a 4th model to the line up. A tC replacement would leave them with the same 3 model line up. So this would by definition need to be a model that would co-exist with the tC and any tC replacements in the future.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right, I got that its talking about adding a 4th. I was suggesting what they could do to try to just keep three. I think they are going to have to go with a 4th just to help satisfy a few more peeps in the market. To bad they promised but wouldn't mind as long as they keep core values still.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wouldn't shock me at all if they made an Aygo-based car. I think Scion realized that they screwed up by not replacing the xB with a city/b-segment car and want to keep a presence in that market. Yeah, there's the Yaris, but it surely isn't trendy and stylish enough to be Scion material. I think an Aygo-based model would be a perfect compromise between a Smart car and a Yaris, and I also feel that a performance version of this car would bring a lot of attention to the b-segment.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Default New Model

I like the tC, Xa, and of course the xB (cuz I got one), but I'm not really liking the xD at the moment. Maybe I gotta see it up close. At first the redesigned xB, I didn't like. But lookin at it more and more, especially when it has some aftermarket parts on it, got me liking it more and more. Then I saw it at the dealer and I wanted it. I always wanted to get the tC and xA as well. I don't understand why they made the xD. They should of just said it was a redesigned xA for 2007 and so on. Anyways, back to the topic of a fourth model. I think they should make a 4 door tC. I don't know if that's considered as a fourth model to the line-up, but they should do that. If that's not a fourth model, they should still do that and make another 4 door sedan. Something more as a luxury car than a sports car. I also think they should add a 5th car to the line after that, which would be a SUV. a 5 car line-up would be just exactly what Scion needs and that's it.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Maybe a bare-bones Scion-branded light pickup truck? Something smaller (and therefore different) than the Tacoma perhaps...

just a thought...

-Aaron
Old 05-27-2007, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the previous poster that a hybrid would be the best option for Scion. Maybe something along the lines of the Yaris hatch, but that will cannabalize the market. I really don't think a suv type would be the way to go. I like the light truck idea, especially with the same stylings....I think with the two new models, the B and D, we could use something to get excited about...
Old 05-27-2007, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel a "mini" truck is needed....The Tundra which is supposed to be a mid-size is just as big as a Dodge Ram. And the Tacoma as a mini...But bigger than the mid-size dakota is crazy. A true "mini" truck ala 1986-1989 model trucks would be nice.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member

uhhhh oh sounds to me like toyota might be trying to unload a stale dated corolla s/matrix xr onto a brand already full of has beens and secondary products of the main company????that is expect for the scion tc it rocks nothing is better lol!!!!!! if toyota got rid of the cars like the corolla/matrix but kept the yaris and made room for more Prius than Toyotas overall MPG could not be touched by even honda and their crappy hybrids or any other conniving auto maker ***cough*** ***cough*** GM/Chrysler/Ford ***cough*** ***cough*** Toyota laughs in the faces of those losers yet again!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bring in the real xB from Japan... that would make a sick 4th model.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kahuna
I feel a "mini" truck is needed....The Tundra which is supposed to be a mid-size is just as big as a Dodge Ram. And the Tacoma as a mini...But bigger than the mid-size dakota is crazy. A true "mini" truck ala 1986-1989 model trucks would be nice.
The Tundra is marketed as a Full-Size PU. What they to do bring back the PU like they used sell here 20 years ago that got over 30mpg, then maybe I'd look at a PU again. I now they still sell it some countries, I think under HiLux not the Tacoma equivalent, the Tacoma is too big.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I wish they would make it an SUV along the lines of a jeep wrangler. With Chrysler going belly up, someone needs to step in with a car that can mimic the orginal xmod car off the offroad world.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

dont do it scion! make that electric or hybrid car you wanted.... dont go into the truck market! nooooo!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Default 4th model

I think if Scion were to come out with a fourth model it should be something like a Jeep Wrangler but with a four-banger of course. probably the 2.4. four wheel drive standard, around the same price point as the old Suzuki Samurai. I know a lot of people who wish they could afford a jeep but also that it was made by Toyota.
Who knows if Chrysler bites the dust who's gonna fill that niche market.
A REAL OFF ROAD VEHICLE not a SUV!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Default 4th model

ok take for instance my old 98 RAV4.
make the four door a rag top like the new wrangler. roll bars and all.
make it available bone stock( no power everything to keep the initial cost low)
make it as light as possible so the four-banger is more than adequate.
just had to add that
Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorta liking the small pickup idea, but also the coupe.

I can only imagine the sales of an entry level 2 seater coupe. Think of a small car w/ the newer engine and all the typical "base model" accessories that Scion already includes....who wouldn't jump on that?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionpilot
I wish they would make it an SUV along the lines of a jeep wrangler. With Chrysler going belly up, someone needs to step in with a car that can mimic the orginal xmod car off the offroad world.
I think the FJ Cruiser is supposed to do that (even though it fails rather miserably at doing so)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member

How about a car/truck like the El Camino or Subaru Baja. That would make a totally new vehicle, which has the flexibility of a pick-up . . . with the MPG closer to that of a car. I'd make it a 1.8L, coupe, with a short bed (with maybe built in storage under the bed [ like the Honda Ridgeline]) all the size of the original xB.

This vehicle would be great cuz there's nothing like it.

How does that sound?

Quick Reply: Scion May Break Promise, Add Fourth Model?