Notices

Scion May Break Promise, Add Fourth Model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 AM

1. Yeah why didn't they just make the xD a redesigned xA? If there was to be an "xD" it should've been a hybrid.

2. I don't like the idea of a rally inspired car or V6 2seater car because that takes away the image of Scion as a car for a Young buyer with low income seeking a stylish car with economy in mind.

3. They should make a new tC like they did the xA and make it a sedan along with a coupe convertible just to drag in more young buyers (maybe a tS for touring sedan instead of touring coupe? LoL)

4. A SMALL Pick Up would be great, but not like that bB because when you first see the bB you don't think of a "Truck". It should be AWD and a little strong not to haul another car but to carry a 4-wheeler in the back, oh and under 18,000. A vehicle like that would leave Scion with a substantially larger market. I would know because I live in GA where all my friends drive trucks big or small as long as it could get some dirt on it.

Scion has their SUV-ish car IMO the xB, they have the eco car the xA/xD, the sporty car the tC (hopefully there will be a "tS" ", now they need the off-road fun truck while keeping their image.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned
SL Member

xB2 - 1
xD - 2
FUSE - 3
Open Deck - 4th?

IMO there are things that need to be considered. First is the rising cost to fill up a tank with fuel. I think Scion should stick to what they know best and make an affordable small SUV like the first gen xB. Heck, for that matter bring us the new bB2. Second, now that the big 3 are dieing a slow and painful death, lets bring in another sporty 2 door to replace the tC. Again, i dont want to hear it from all the whiners and cryers that Scion didnt stay true to their word and carry the tC into 2008. Its a popular car so why not carry it one more year. This will buy Scion some time to make a decision as to what its going to use as the cars replacement. NO RALLY CARS. If you want a ralley car, go buy a Subie.

That being said, here is what i think Scion should do. Give it a year, and replace the tC with the FUSE. Yeah Scion isnt going to offer all that was on the proto-type, but the overall shape ... that car is just plain sexy.

IF Scion was to offer another car; 4th, then lets see the Open Deck. Think of it as a mini Avalanche. Someone has already posted the pics of what the little car/truck can do ... and Americans i think will lean more towards a car they can use as a multi-tasker over the big gas guzzling Escalades and Avlacanches and the Expiditions and the Hummers. With the rising cost of fuel, i think these large SUV will be the dinosaurs of our time. What better to replace them with then a mini Urban Assault Vehicle?

From what i gathered talking with a regional Scion rep years ago the Open Deck didnt make it here over safty issues. I think Scion is well established enough in the American market to over come those issues while still making them affordable and keeping to the O.D. design.

Come on Scion, give us the Open Deck!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member

is a RALLY car 4WD? if so why need to call it a diff name? or r there diff? if so what are the diff's among rally, 4WD, AWD, and 2WD? cuz i don't know
Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member

in decreasing order of pref of what i like Scion to build:

1) an affordable true 4WD smallscale SUV, that Toy FJ Cruiser was promised to be but when it finally arrived, anything but affordable!! (shame on u Toy for pulling the switcheroo on us!!) sumthing like that rally car in the thickish yi-yang catalog w/ the 08 xB)

2) a truck that's got enuff to be useful truckbed

3) a FOUR doored sedan (baby IS)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would wanna see scion produce a mini truck like the ones toyota made back in the day...customize it out with a lowering kit, LEDs, rims...the works...just like scion does it...
Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Suprised no 1 has mentioned the FUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll gladly take a FUSE or a hybrid thank you!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think a mini truck is a great idea, it fits the critiria to become a scion but then again i cant see toyota making a truck without a toyota badge on it.
When i said rally inspired and gutted i ment cheap. Technically you could make it cheaper then a tc. No sunroof, stereo, steel wheels, no interior, two seats (i dont mean a two seater i mean just no back seats installed). AWD and the 2azfe. I dont see an suv being a viable alternative because i think the xb will grow in size once again down the road.

TX stripped down awd easily moddable race car thats stupid cheap
tc great daily driver thats easily modded
xb mini suv (next gen should be awd)
xd
Old 05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

IMO Scion should stick with three models, what we need to ask is the motivation for a fourth model. Money is the likely culprit, so instead of making Scion another ho hum brand in the mix geared towards the youngest car buyers, just give us what we want.

Be the first ground breaking car manufacturer to seriously work hand in hand with aftermarket companies in order to offer many aftermarket parts through the dealer, real aftermarket parts, not just mudflaps and fuzzy dice. That way they keep the runs low and profits high, as they take advantage of the multi billion dollar aftermarket industry.

They are just starting to catch on that more money is spent after one buys a car than the car purchase itself, time to capitalize and re-invent the car industry. That would set them apart.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7
Suprised no 1 has mentioned the FUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll gladly take a FUSE or a hybrid thank you!
I've mentioned it quite a few times on here alreadyl, so have a couple of others. But here is how I see it. The tC has it coupe design to be stylishl, sporty, and comfortablity. To make it a sedan would do away with the stylish and sporty part of it. So, either go with a Corolla, or they could turn make it to where there is a latch nested with the front doors meet the frame by the backseat and that would open the doors outward. Example of what I mean:

Now that would keep the tC's styling and look sweet IMO. But it's my undertanding the 08s are the last yr for the tC. The xB as said by others is the "suv/van" of the brand, the xD should have been a hybrid IMO. The FUSE concept should replace the tC, but should be offered in two styles. I know Scion is going with the philosophy of keep it simple and easy, but just two standard choices car wise would be great. Give those money and MPG oriented a cool looking/sporty coupe the 2.4L 4banger that we currently have since there's a nice aftermarket growing for it. Let the second option be a v6 version for about 20k. Hyundai's Tiburon starts their 2.7L v6 at 20k. So this would put it up there and give them competition. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tiburon/tiburon.aspx Not to mention if Scion is catered to the young, which it is, there are some that wont be able to afford it, so give them the I-4 for about 17k and those that can get it, the v-6 for 20k. That sets them far enough apart pricewise for those buying to make a decision. Toyo also doesn't currently have anything in stock that competes with the Tiburon that I know of. The bB would be cool to bring over here, give the little Ford rangers and S-10s something to mess with.

As far as to what trikkonceptz stated. Scion does need to work with the aftermarket more for their cars. Their doing an ok job right now, but nobody wants to pay a $200 mark up on a part just b/c it says TRD on it, when you can buy the exact same thing that they took and rebadged from the company for cheaper. Scion, drop the TRD stuff and actually get your hands in the mod markets, imagine the dough you'd be rolling around in.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a 07 tc dropped on 18 enkies and stechs with the trd exhaust in my driveway next to an 05 tiburon 4 cyl with i/h/e tuned computer, rota slipstreams, full eibach suspension, big brakes, and cams. My tc wins everytime. He has slightly better handeling but i countered that with some Bridgestone pole positions. The tiburon comunity looks down on the v6 btw (i think its only 170hp). A 4 cyl with i/h/e makes the same power, if not more.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a 07 tc dropped on 18 enkies and stechs with the trd exhaust in my driveway next to an 05 tiburon 4 cyl with i/h/e tuned computer, rota slipstreams, full eibach suspension, big brakes, and cams. My tc wins everytime. He has slightly better handeling but i countered that with some Bridgestone pole positions. The tiburon comunity looks down on the v6 btw (i think its only 170hp). A 4 cyl with i/h/e makes the same power, if not more.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redwar1441
Interesting, your right it is only 170 coming from the v6...guess its b/c its a 2.7L, the one I'm talking about though for the "FUSE" is the this one from the camry http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/camry/specs_v6.html And if I remember correctly it only comes offered in a 6spd a/t, but I'm sure Scion can work something out with mother Toyo 268hp from a 3.5L v6 with just about the same MPG that our car gets now, who wouldn't want that
Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey mehow, kinda sounds like you are describing the bB Open Deck...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please don't ever expect to see the OpenDeck brought over here. That was based on the old bB (our original xB), and not only was the OD a short-run special edition, the entire production line for that series of vehicle has been dismantled and replaced by the xB2 production line.

The xB1 production line NO LONGER EXISTS at Toyota. Gone. Finis. Kaput. Terminado. Concluso. 終了される

Tom
Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok im kinda surprised no one is goin in the direction of a super car!!! like the toyota super car thats a concept!!! or wat about a 2 or 4 door turbo monster????

how come no one is thinking in this direction??? isnt that wat scion is about??? modding your car and performance and being something different?? so why not make a car to compete with the evo's and sti's?????
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Maybe they should try to compete with the MazdaSpeed3... that would be a little hard to beat considering its only $23,000.... any ways for car like an sti or evo they'd have to put the sticker price to high for what Scion normally is IMO, id be fine with it though
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well they would have to go a little higher in price!! but a mazda speed 3??? *** on now??? those cars were crap imo!!!! your telling me scion couldnt take a car like the tc which is only 16,900 and put a turbo on it and some better suspension and have it priced under 23,000??? you can do an aftermarket turbo for 4k!!! so a manufactured turbo would be a whole lot les!! when you do things in bulk they are cheaper!!! even at that, that only takes the car up to 21k!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry about the double post!!!

im a dealer and iu have had plenty of people com in a rack there tc up to 22, 23,24k !!! so i know people are willing to pay!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fullFXtc
sorry about the double post!!!

im a dealer and iu have had plenty of people com in a rack there tc up to 22, 23,24k !!! so i know people are willing to pay!!!!
Exactly, there are quite a few people that don't mind paying a higher price for quality/accessories, unlike a majority of american made cars. I mean, the evo's start about 30k, and the wrx starts about 24k-35k I'm sure if Toyo wants to, they could bring us a true performance minded vehicle line for 20-25k, with a truly special edition of up to 30k. Sure it's not about the true low priceing of the cars that they are known for, but it would fill a small niche in the market that is looking for something different.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

in other words another supra, and from what I was told by Rado at miami toyota will have factory turbo out very soon for the tc, with a bolt on base WHP or 300+

Quick Reply: Scion May Break Promise, Add Fourth Model?