tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM

soo slow
Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
X2 ^^ I have to agree. I think most of us here that own tC's know exactly what it is...and what it is not. It's a decent looking 2-door coupe, Toyota quality/reliability factor, easy to modify into a DD that gets decent gas mileage and have enough "pep" to make you smile on your daily commute without costing an arm and both your legs to buy one.
what if youre throwin 350+ hp and runnin 10s/11s and goin round tracks faster than a g35 or 350z and neck n neck with evos and subies? is it than considered more than a poser car?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^then you'd be in the extreme minority of tC's. Maybe one of 20-30 in the world out of a sea of tC's.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
^then you'd be in the extreme minority of tC's. Maybe one of 20-30 in the world out of a sea of tC's.
Im a minority... Never thought ide say that lmao
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 10gxiong
I never thought of the tC as a poser car when I purchased it. I purchased it because it thought it looked nice and knew it would be reliable since it was a Toyota.
same here. actually, wrecked my civic, and this was in my price range-and a sweet bonus, my initials are TC . I did not buy it to race WRX's and stuff , needed a good ,cheap car.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just found a very interesting story not sure where to post it but pretty intersting.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075
Old 10-30-2011, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^ That has absolute nothing to do with this thread.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get a kick out of people who throw their two cents in on a vehicle that they've probably never owned, much less drove. o.O
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That troll spam post above this one is about as valuable as this thread, or that article ...

And its sad that people have create an "ft86" club forum for a car that does not exist in production yet, and will not exist as an ft86
Old 12-11-2011, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
That troll spam post above this one is about as valuable as this thread, or that article ...

And its sad that people have create an "ft86" club forum for a car that does not exist in production yet, and will not exist as an ft86
Toyota 86 in Japan, GT86 in Europe, and Scion FR-S in the States. BRZ under Subaru.

Coming April 2012.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Toyota 86 in Japan, GT86 in Europe, and Scion FR-S in the States. BRZ under Subaru.

Coming April 2012.
And no ft86 And based upon the million versions of official info from Toyota over the past few years, I wont hold my breath on the name, release date, etc until I see it on the show room floor! But in the end, I dont care if they call it Matilda, as long as they release the damned thing!

Now, if they chicken $#it out and release it with non-defeat-able traction control, I will likely never buy one. Even if it is a system like the first of the new gen Mustang GT's, where you have to hold the brake, hold down a button for 10 seconds, etc, that is fine. Just dont subject me to a potentially great car with a fat a$$ nanny watching over my shoulder that I cant get away from!

I had pretty much resigned myself to buying used from now on if something cool with defeat-able nannies didnt come out.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
And no ft86 And based upon the million versions of official info from Toyota over the past few years, I wont hold my breath on the name, release date, etc until I see it on the show room floor! But in the end, I dont care if they call it Matilda, as long as they release the damned thing!

Now, if they chicken $#it out and release it with non-defeat-able traction control, I will likely never buy one. Even if it is a system like the first of the new gen Mustang GT's, where you have to hold the brake, hold down a button for 10 seconds, etc, that is fine. Just dont subject me to a potentially great car with a fat a$$ nanny watching over my shoulder that I cant get away from!

I had pretty much resigned myself to buying used from now on if something cool with defeat-able nannies didnt come out.

The names are official. The release is official. And the nanny full disabled is official. Sounds like you need to head over to FT86club.com
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll head over if I decide to buy one. Job changes coming, which means I will either stick to what I have for a while, maybe buy one of these or just buy something I can purpose build (i have thought of everything from the already purpose built old opel gt gere loally to a used elise) . I have even considered going to fmod, so who knows... No reason for me to be like the large majority hopping on the forum train who will never actually buy the car anyways :p plus I could wait a year and buy one of these used for a large chunk cheaper. Lots of choices, bad economy and a family to think of... Who knows what the next 6 months will bring
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^Oh no doubt. I plan on waiting for a year before buying mine.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by ack154
I'm with you... but the trouble is (and the reason it shows up on this list) is because no everyone is doing the same thing. They buy it thinking it's a super car or something... or have outrageously high expectations of it. So they end up driving around trying to red-light-race everything on the streets.

Sadly those actions then filter down to the rest of the tC drivers and it makes us all look like douchebags... to a degree.
AGREE...the other day i left work late and i stopd to get sum gas when i hear a car reving up and when i look is a BEAT UP celica and i think to my self.... dumb ___, i just like the scion cuz it looks nice, not to race lol
Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my tC in October I have always liked the style of it. I race some but not everything. I Mainly got it for the style and compared to the eclipse I traded for it the scion has more upgrade abilities and has more style plus great back seat room. No matter whats done to a tC (as long as it looks good and parts that are thrown on there to make it look like some of the fart cans that are out and about or a salvaged car)

The tC is a nice car yeah gas mileage isnt that great but at the same time you have a great feeling with it. For people to call it a poser car?? I do not get it.

But what are people saying about other cars like the eclipse and such? no matter the car no matter the country there will always be posers who ruin a great a great car for everyone else.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vladislav
I bought my tC in October I have always liked the style of it. I race some but not everything. I Mainly got it for the style and compared to the eclipse I traded for it the scion has more upgrade abilities and has more style plus great back seat room. No matter whats done to a tC (as long as it looks good and parts that are thrown on there to make it look like some of the fart cans that are out and about or a salvaged car)

The tC is a nice car yeah gas mileage isnt that great but at the same time you have a great feeling with it. For people to call it a poser car?? I do not get it.

But what are people saying about other cars like the eclipse and such? no matter the car no matter the country there will always be posers who ruin a great a great car for everyone else.
Thank you! I agree totallywith you 100% and im sure the other people who bought for that same reason do too.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rhythmnsmoke and a few others have proven it's capabilities in NA. Countless others including Rhthymnsmoke did so with forced induction. I went to the dealer to buy either a Civic Si or and S2000. I left with a Tc. I'll admit there was time where there was regret. But being someone who was part of the Honda crowd since 1996, I love that I ventured in this car. Now I myself realize how spoiled the Honda market is. LOL For someone to complain about what they have is obviously spoiled or unreal. I've paid for all my cars including my 1986 Civic 4 door carbureted 1.5L.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skeeter04
Thank you! I agree totallywith you 100% and im sure the other people who bought for that same reason do too.
Yeah I know that tCs have bad reps but hell after watching a youtube video of what they can do when non street modified they can look and sound so awesome but ppl are making them into little fart cans and red lighting every chance they get. When this happens ppl then say and i quote " dont buy that car it craps out after a month or two" well yeah it will crap out of you keep ******* it and trying to race anything on the road. Hell if I could Id get a pinto and race it; at least it wouldn't be destroying a reliable car that can you do anything too make look sporty and luxury. I was surprised to hear about this. For me My tC is my car, transportation and my trophy so why not make the trophy sound and look aggressive and at the same time after I pay it off in 5 years =( It will be even better. Right now as it stands I do one part at a time (see my thread Part by Part). why well cause money is tight and i feel if i do it this way it makes me more comfortable knowing that i am taking care of it and keeping it sharp bit by bit.

Sorry for the long post but it had to be said
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
SL Member

I just got my '12 tC and I love it. Great car and value for it's class. One of the things I love about this car is that it's a good econocar that's still fun to drive because you have some good performance for it's price point. For those who have the skills to mod it, it's a pretty good beast.

Personally, I think it suffers from the same dude-bro attitude that permeates the "ricer" scene. It's not the cars themselves, it's the people who try to make them something they are not.

Quick Reply: tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers