Notices

tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 AM

Default By that logic most any car could be considered a poser car...

I've seen some of the nicest cars ruined by a poser with too much money, but I wouldn't say that makes it a poser car. As far as the tC's being fast, they are not. They are quick though (when you get past the drive-by-wire lag off of the line) I have an '08 tC with a few bolt-on's and I'll kill a turbo Eclipse, Si Civic, ect. Not to mention the many tC's I've seen that have been turbo or supercharged, V-6 conversions, and so on that ARE race cars. They do well within their class, they will obviously never be competition for a Viper, Vette, or anything like that. They are a good little commuter car that looks sporty and it is a good platform to start with if you want. It's people trying to make it out to be something it's not that give's the tC a bar wrap.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:13 AM

TC look really nice when there fixed up and thats all....there not race cars....I love my TC it looks really nice and drives nice and saves gas
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

I agree, the tC is only a poser car for those who think it's more than it is....I've had mine for a few years now and other than a CAI, I just plan to make cosmetic changes

http://youtu.be/CmuSgecu3vU

^^^^ This is pretty ill tho...even tho it's heavily modified

Last edited by LoDeezie; 09-23-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: link
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: A little island called Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor

It kind of makes me laugh when I see people modifying the hell out of their cars (especially Honda Civic drivers). My AT tC is good enough for a daily drive and stuff. I don't think I can spend the money to make it look like a race car or anything. I'm just going to trade in my AT for the MT just so I don't fall asleep on the wheel again.

But yes I agree...though it looks good. I think it's a poser vehicle. But it looks great doesn't it!?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tc is moderately heavy for a fwd car, especially when compared to an eg or ek hatch. Still a great car though, just like my xb.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LMRyder420
I've seen some of the nicest cars ruined by a poser with too much money, but I wouldn't say that makes it a poser car. As far as the tC's being fast, they are not. They are quick though (when you get past the drive-by-wire lag off of the line) I have an '08 tC with a few bolt-on's and I'll kill a turbo Eclipse, Si Civic, ect. Not to mention the many tC's I've seen that have been turbo or supercharged, V-6 conversions, and so on that ARE race cars. They do well within their class, they will obviously never be competition for a Viper, Vette, or anything like that. They are a good little commuter car that looks sporty and it is a good platform to start with if you want. It's people trying to make it out to be something it's not that give's the tC a bar wrap.

How are your bolt ons making the 21 extra hp to "kill" an SI (and no LSD, so a worse take off for sure from a stand still)?? As a former 7 year tc owner (boosted) and a SI owner, I will tell you that hands down the SI is a better car. Your crazy, and you think that your "racer" scion tc is going to "kill" GTI's, or an GST/GSX or a more powerful from the factory SI?? Your part of whats wrong with scions, and the reason I couldnt wait to unload mine. Dont be that guy, that because you have "that car" its the best thing out. I can assure you the camry motor is not a refined motor and the SI's have been making the 100hp/liter since the del sol era, continued with the 6thgen em1, and over time just improved. Your little tC needs MORE displacement to make same hp (but your going to claim it has more torque, and that tq wins races.. lol) Using that equation, your powerhouse tc should be at 240hp. Its not. `

News flash - a SI with Kpro and an intake, will SMASH on your tc with ALL your bolt ons. From a roll, from a standstill and top end. Plus, you have to add bolt ons to even consider hanging. Add those same bolt ons to the SI or eclipse, and itll be pulling on you yet again. There is a reason the tc is $5k cheaper.. because, its .... CHEAPER. You have no LSD, a worse interior, and a more piggly motor. The SI has had years and years of production refinement behind it, vs your "new" on the scene camry/tc.

the tC is not a bad car. And its in that segment of cars, but its at the bottom. Hell.. A new kia koup is competitive against it.

Again, not to start an argument, the scion is a nice car. Its DECENT. But there is a reason its cheaper than the SI. I am not a fanboy, or brand loyalist, but I am smart enough to note when a nicer car, is a nicer car. Thats what this article was about... the car is a poser car. And I disagree with that statement, but your walking a fine line by almost proving it right.

Last edited by torqueTc; 10-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Your little tC needs MORE displacement to make same hp (but your going to claim it has more torque, and that tq wins races.. lol) Using that equation, your powerhouse tc should be at 240hp. Its not.
9.6:1 compression does not equate to 240hp.

[quote=torqueTc;4060539]News flash - a SI with Kpro and an intake, will SMASH on your tc with ALL your bolt ons. From a roll, from a standstill and top end. Plus, you have to add bolt ons to even consider hanging. Add those same bolt ons to the SI or eclipse, and itll be pulling on you yet again. There is a reason the tc is $5k cheaper.. because, its .... CHEAPER. You have no LSD, a worse interior, and a more piggly motor. The SI has had years and years of production refinement behind it, vs your "new" on the scene camry/tc.

A drastic overstatement of the truth, plain and simple. "Camry/tC"....if I had a dollar for every time someone tried to make that a cut down. Don't see anyone calling a 240sx a 240/truck. Or when the Honda boys do their infinite motorswaps to make them faster, they aren't then called a CRV/Civic are they?

the tC is not a bad car. And its in that segment of cars, but its at the bottom. Hell.. A new kia koup is competitive against it.
Wrong yet again. Lancer is a 17-18sec car....is that in the tC segment? Mini Cooper also slower than a tC....is that in the tC segment? How about a Mazda 3....again, not faster than a tC.

Do your homework.

PS....this thread is still going...really?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[QUOTE=rhythmnsmoke;4060866]9.6:1 compression does not equate to 240hp.

News flash - a SI with Kpro and an intake, will SMASH on your tc with ALL your bolt ons. From a roll, from a standstill and top end. Plus, you have to add bolt ons to even consider hanging. Add those same bolt ons to the SI or eclipse, and itll be pulling on you yet again. There is a reason the tc is $5k cheaper.. because, its .... CHEAPER. You have no LSD, a worse interior, and a more piggly motor. The SI has had years and years of production refinement behind it, vs your "new" on the scene camry/tc.

A drastic overstatement of the truth, plain and simple. "Camry/tC"....if I had a dollar for every time someone tried to make that a cut down. Don't see anyone calling a 240sx a 240/truck. Or when the Honda boys do their infinite motorswaps to make them faster, they aren't then called a CRV/Civic are they?

Wrong yet again. Lancer is a 17-18sec car....is that in the tC segment? Mini Cooper also slower than a tC....is that in the tC segment? How about a Mazda 3....again, not faster than a tC.

Do your homework.

PS....this thread is still going...really?
I see few scions but all are riced to the max here, from kicker and other random window stickers fart can exhaust. It's winter with inches of ice and another tc pulls and outlandishly dangerous and slides past me, literally almost hitting me and pulling off. Been waiting for him again bc I'm gonna ticket his ___.

Truth is majority of our tc owners are young immature tail chasing-not scoring kids .
Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/QUOTE]I see few scions but all are riced to the max here, from kicker and other random window stickers fart can exhaust. It's winter with inches of ice and another tc pulls and outlandishly dangerous and slides past me, literally almost hitting me and pulling off. Been waiting for him again bc I'm gonna ticket his ___.

Truth is majority of our tc owners are young immature tail chasing-not scoring kids .[/QUOTE]

^^ Hopefully your not in WNY!! HAHA

I have been all over the map when it comes to varying platforms/ makers to build... a (brief) run down... 320hp Del Sol, 3 drift comp. 240sx's, 200sx, '84 RX7, CRX, Ram 1500 (yes I know it's not an import), and now my tC.

After reading the thread (which is quite surprising and entertaining), it's the owners that spend their $$ on looks and think it's fast. Damn straight the tC can make the morning commute or running to get groceries interesting and fun... will it compare with a $30-$40,000 car from the dealer? No absolutely not. Does it have huge numbers to boast about? No. Is it luxury? Nope

It's a cheap and fun starter platform that helps to grow the tuner scene. To each their own... just have fun, LEARN something, and be safe!! HOONIGAN

Last edited by FIREDOG21; 12-31-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JLFIII
Who cares what some article says? Lol the term "sports car" is a loose term at best...the stock Pontiac Firebird that the Hoff drove in Knight Rider came with a whopping 150 bhp and had a ponderous 0-60 time of 9.2 seconds or 10.8 if you had the auto and that was a "pony car" "muscle car" "sports car" or whatever you want to call it...lol our 4cyl "sporty" coupes could run circles around that thing in reverse. The tC is a nice car and not to shabby a performer, it's a nice ride to mod and enjoy.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha !

Posers judging posers.

imo the MINI wins the "The Worst Poser " contest.

I purchased a pre-owned 2011 tC as a practical and reliable alternative to my 2005 MINI Cooper S which now sits in my garage because I needed to to stop throwing $$ away on repairs. Compared with other Toyota's, Honda's and Subaru's I have owned the MINI cost 3 X to maintain !!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Default Really?

I think you guys one are using the term "RICER" and "POSER" very incorrectly. Saying some "ricer" throws an CIA, exhaust, headers on a TC......Well 80% of modders start out that way. Thats a standard get out of the way unless your going a diffrent route. Ricer is a term for people who throw parts that make no sense on to their cars, like having new tires and then a Spoiler that gives like 700 downforce that looks like a jet wing then throw stickers and a bunch of lights underneath. Everyone starts somewhere and you dont say he's a poser for wanting to take what they have and make it better, because every one of you running your suck right now started at the same place once in your life. Unless your some rich homo that has had everything handed to you then gtfo and nobody cares what you think. Stop trying to profile every one on the planet. Also maybe some of you should do a lot more research on the matter. There are some pretty badass TC's running around out there.

Last edited by Docfishey; 07-11-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers

Originally Posted by Docfishey
I think you guys one are using the term "RICER" and "POSER" very incorrectly. Saying some "ricer" throws an CIA, exhaust, headers on a TC......Well 80% of modders start out that way. Thats a standard get out of the way unless your going a diffrent route. Ricer is a term for people who throw parts that make no sense on to there cars, like having new tires and then a Spoiler that gives like 700 downforce that looks like a jetwing then throw stickers and a bunch of lights underneath. Everyone starts somewhere and you dont say hes a poser for wanting to take what they have and make it better, because every one of you running your suck right now started at the same place once in your life. Unless your some rich homo that has had everything handed to you then gtfo and nobody cares what you think. Stop trying to profile every one on the planet. Also maybe some of you should do a lot more research on the matter. There are some pretty badass TC's running around out there.

I agree. I know at the moment my tc is in progress and I get people asking me where my rice burner is. All I've done was started small some LEDs in the footwells a 8000k hid kit led parking lights. Then added a header to it now I'm working on completing the exhaust. So now I am trying to figure out something is my tc considered a rice burner?? Just because of my mods? That took me two years or so to do and it's called a rice burner because i like my cars looking shiny and bright at night and loud???

I am just doing like anyone else and making it my own. Yeah there is rasp but that is a giver on any car (well not all by most) but that does not mean IMO that it is rice. If I wanted it to be rice I'll slap a bmw logo on it with a pair of ***** hanging from the back bumper with some fuzzy dice.

Last edited by Vladislav; 07-11-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: accidentally saved it before finishing
Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vladislav
I agree. I know at the moment my tc is in progress and I get people asking me where my rice burner is. All I've done was started small some LEDs in the footwells a 8000k hid kit led parking lights. Then added a header to it now I'm working on completing the exhaust. So now I am trying to figure out something is my tc considered a rice burner?? Just because of my mods? That took me two years or so to do and it's called a rice burner because i like my cars looking shiny and bright at night and loud???

I am just doing like anyone else and making it my own. Yeah there is rasp but that is a giver on any car (well not all by most) but that does not mean IMO that it is rice. If I wanted it to be rice I'll slap a bmw logo on it with a pair of ***** hanging from the back bumper with some fuzzy dice.

I agree, I'm building my 05 scion. My buddy that has a 240 turbocharged is helping me every step of the way. We both agreed to make it as far away from rice as possible even when I started learning and didn't know much when I ask or suggested he was like....NO.....keeps me on the right track lol
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docfishey
I agree, I'm building my 05 scion. My buddy that has a 240 turbocharged is helping me every step of the way. We both agreed to make it as far away from rice as possible even when I started learning and didn't know much when I ask or suggested he was like....NO.....keeps me on the right track lol

I wish I knew people lol! I'm the loner here. But yeah my biggest issue is the rasp from my header so I thought about finishing my exhaust and hit the problem with deq. Right now my Megan header and spipe pass emissions thanks to SL DIYs lol but I want to leave the stock mid pipe cause that is my only cat an was wondering how id finish my exhaust. I asked about in the small questions thread. But yeah just to clarify what the hell is rice? And rice burner? I know people say cheap cheap and cheap. But the term for me makes me hungry for shrimp fried rice.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do people still have there panties in a bunch over this? lol
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
Do people still have there panties in a bunch over this? lol

I believe so. But everyone has an opinion that wants to be heard. I think the bottom line should be its a car it takes you from point A to point B it a fun to drive easy to mod and looks sharp. If that's is rice then maybe we should all get new cars

Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 AM

it only takes one look here to know this is true

99% of people add wheels suspension mawds and carbon fiber lips and an exhaust and thats about as far as the performance work goes.... it makes me sad
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's wrong with a car sounding good? And looking good?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by inuboi
it only takes one look here to know this is true

99% of people add wheels suspension mawds and carbon fiber lips and an exhaust and thats about as far as the performance work goes.... it makes me sad
This thread is old. Besides no matter what you add, there will always be someone talking crap. Mine is built, boosted and runs on Race tracks and there is still someone who tries to talk. They usually shut up when they get left though.

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 08-27-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers