Notices

Toyota to discontinue the xB and xD

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member

They should make a high performance sports car next!!! I love how Scion is a brand Toyota tinkers around with.
We get to see something fresh every 4 years or so.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2021 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member

There shooting themselves in the foot. Scion is either grossly overestimating the success of the FR-S and the iQ alone-or are they really that damn good. The FR-S, at least, not the iQ. The iQ is no better then a Smart fortwo, and is nearly sacriliege in the xB and xDs name. R.I.P you beautiful machines, I hope I see you again before I die. Until then, im taking my buisness elsewhere unless the FR-S is a good replacement for my aging xB
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda
Has there been any news of the relase of the Scion t2B ? I thought this was going to be the replacement for the Scion xB ?
The T2B's design became the 2nd Gen. xB's design. I heard that Jack Hollis (Scion's VP) said that they're getting rid of the x brothers in favor of all new cars from Diahatsu-so one can only dream. I hope that we get another car like an xB, untill then-im getting a Volkswagen or a Mini as my next car. But even that is a compromise for space and fuel economy in the vain of speed and looks. I think the Haako was to be the next gen. xB-but it never came to be.....maybe it will still come under a diffrent name? All I know is that there wont be another xB for the forseable future. BUT....Maybe there will be a car like it that will come to us soon. Until then, I will keep my xB until one of us dies.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that one thing that Toyota is missing is that the xB sold really well because it met a pent-up need for a simple, clean, minimalist and functional vehicle. Folks of my generation remember the VW beetles, Honda Civics, Datsun 510s and Toyota Celicas that got the job done so well without a lot of bells and whistles. The xB1 fit into this role well. It also appealed to younger folks who wanted an inexpensive and quirky vehicle. The xB2 was too Americanized to fill the niche and ended up competing with minivans.

My xB1 has 125K on it now and is starting to show a few signs of aging. I'm in the market for a replacement so I can pass the xB along to my daughters. Unfortunately, the Scion crop isn't impressive any longer. If I want a Subaru I'll buy it from the Subaru dealer. The IQ is a nice version of a Smart, but the mileage isn't impressive for its size. The xD is a blob car like so many others out there and just doesn't interest me.

Up the street are Honda, Nissan and Kia dealers. The Soul is a pretty good update of the xB1 with more power, 6 speed, but not quite as good of room. The reliability is also suspect, though the warranty makes up for that somewhat. The Fit is a cool looking car, harkening back to the good-handling Civics of old and offering Honda-level quality, but the drivetrain is a bit antiquated and the mileage is only one digit behind the Kia at a great loss of interior room. The Cube, despite Nissan's high level of effort to bring it over, is just too odd, sacrificing function for quirkiness.

EDIT: Since I wrote this Kia was caught falsifying their EPA mileage numbers for many of their models. The Soul lost several MPG in its rating as a result.

If Scion would bring over the current bB I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm not holding my breath. The only reason that we got the xB1 at all is because the Toyota suits panicked because they needed a 2-box car quickly to compete with the Element. Toyota wants to keep their US customers on a diet of increasing bling and bloat ($$$) and simple affordable cars just aren't part of that plan.

Last edited by George; 11-21-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Corrected Kia mileage data
Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

I dont know what i'd do without you , Scion xB
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The biggest problems I saw with both lines was color availability. You aim these two cars at a youthful market and have such drab colors available? I know they did some different colors via release series, I bought one. The average young person is going to look at the color scheme and probably not be interested.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Well there is a 2013 Scion xB. The dealer said they're coming in soon.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If they announced they were bringing over the current bB I would buy it on the spot, no questions asked. Especially if they offered the 4WD model. I went to visit my girlfriend's parents in Japan back in June, her mom drives a current-gen bB and lent it to me for the 2 weeks...I about died, it's been the car I've wanted ever since it came out. Until that happens, though, looks like I'll be putting my money elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mistykz
If they announced they were bringing over the current bB I would buy it on the spot, no questions asked. Especially if they offered the 4WD model. I went to visit my girlfriend's parents in Japan back in June, her mom drives a current-gen bB and lent it to me for the 2 weeks...I about died, it's been the car I've wanted ever since it came out. Until that happens, though, looks like I'll be putting my money elsewhere.
Ok you can't leave it at that. You have to tell us more about it. How is it compared to our xBs?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's... a bB, exactly like our gen 1 xB, and everything our 2nd gen SHOULD have been. She has the 1.5L model, which I venture to guess is very similar in output to the US 1st gen. I loved having the bench seat across the front (rather than the 2 separate seats), it made life that much easier tossing bags and groceries in and just going. The dash and interior looked and felt great aesthetically, and there were pockets on the back of the front seats (!!!). In my opinion the coolest thing was that the front bench folded backwards to create a perfectly level surface with the rear seats if for some reason you felt like taking a nap in there or something. If our import laws weren't so lame I'd import one in a heartbeat.

Here she is, too bad I can't have her
534280_10150846062057136_1542704382_n.jpg
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

Looks cool! Much better than that dark red color I see in all of the other shots. It actually looks better here than in the marketing shots too. The front is pretty sweet. Thanks for the picture.

So I'm guessing they are an American military family with that Hummer in the garage I remember my buddy's brother in the Air Force bringing their Suburban to London.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

They're actually native Japanese, her dad just likes Hummers for some reason. If you saw the front of the garage you would probably wonder how in the hell he got it in there in the first place. Heck, it takes up the entire street (neighborhood roads are extremely narrow). In the few times I've been to Japan, I've actually seen quite a few Mustangs and Escalades, and I always wonder if they're American drivers or not.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy crap! I gotta find some way to buy a 1st Gen xB!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2021 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge