Notices

Toyota to kill Scion brand

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Scionlife Editor

Default Toyota to kill Scion brand

Filed under: Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, Scion, Toyota

Toyota is killing its youth-oriented Scion brand after a 13-year run.Continue reading Toyota to kill Scion brand

Toyota to kill Scion brand originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 03 Feb 2016 09:47:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought my tc new in 2004, and its still going strong today. Sad to see the brand be discontinued but understandable. Kind of fitting in that as I am looking to move on from the brand, Toyota is as well.

My car has served me well for the past 11 years, and I will always remember the brand and community as it was in the early days.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

RIP Scion!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

should i sell my scion tc? I scared my the resell value for my tc is going to drop...
Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TealRice
should i sell my scion tc? I scared my the resell value for my tc is going to drop...

If you dont owe anything, keep it and enjoy it til wheels fall off. I am doing that, They are reliable, who knows? maybe the next car will give you grief. my opinion.
13tc owner.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This brand became so mis-managed after its initial success, I am surprised it lasted past the original line up. Once they released the follow up xB, I think many of us knew it was over.

Still have my 2005 xB with less than 60K Miles and plan on holding onto it for as long as I can, although it is not my daily driver.

I will say, it was my first and only Toyota, has been a breeze to keep up, but with that said, I am not a Toyota guy.

The greatest thing about the xB was that there was nothing on the road like it. Quirky, odd and attention getting for a vehicle under $20K. Nicely done.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:46 PM

Default Front page coverage

sad day, but probably a good business move.
Goodbye Scion: Toyota Pulls the Plug on the Grand Scion Experiment - ScionLife.com
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYCxB
This brand became so mis-managed after its initial success, I am surprised it lasted past the original line up. Once they released the follow up xB, I think many of us knew it was over.

Still have my 2005 xB with less than 60K Miles and plan on holding onto it for as long as I can, although it is not my daily driver.

I will say, it was my first and only Toyota, has been a breeze to keep up, but with that said, I am not a Toyota guy.

The greatest thing about the xB was that there was nothing on the road like it. Quirky, odd and attention getting for a vehicle under $20K. Nicely done.
I do agree with you 100%! They really didn't realize what they had when the sales success took off at the speed it did! Then they go and cheapen up the tC, they fatten the xB, then wonder why no one wanted a scion.. duh! I will keep mine til it falls apart. And at a decade old it's in better shape than any other brand I've ever had! I'm glad I was part of something unique and special.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's no reason for the value of your tC to drop. Think of all the vintage (now discontinued) Mustangs, Camaros, Ferrari's. What happened to the 94 Camaros when GM stopped making them? So no, nothing is going to go down in value, it might actually increase in value, now that it's unique.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYCxB

This. My first car I ever bought on my own was the original xB. It was weird, nothing like it on the road, dependable & cheap to own/drive! As soon as they released the Gen 2 I knew it was over. Just plain & Americanized to look like everything else out there, cost went up, mileage went down, basically a step backwards in every way.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
If you dont owe anything, keep it and enjoy it til wheels fall off. I am doing that, They are reliable, who knows? maybe the next car will give you grief. my opinion.
13tc owner.
I still owe 13k!, I was eyeing the new honda civic, but everyone has them, but the gas mpg is much better and I think I'm over the coupe phase haha
Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Notice in the article that the decline in sales for Scion began in 2007, with 2006 being their best year for sales. It was more than coincidence that this was when they killed off the 1st gen xb, and the xa. The tc is a great car, but at that time all that they did after that was to release the bloated xb and the xd. Both of the latter two were cars completely based on market research of asking people who already didnt like the xb and xa what they could change to make them like them.
If you've already got vehicles that were selling like crazy, then why the hell would you then shift all interest into people who don't like your products? And if so, why kill of good selling vehicles in order to go after ONLY the people who already didnt like them?
Just my opinion, I know, but this is always how it seemed to me back then.
besides, they've already killed off all the things about the brand that made it great. James Franco commercials aren't going to save them.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still owe 13k!, I was eyeing the new honda civic, but everyone has them, but the gas mpg is much better and I think I'm over the coupe phase haha
sorry, pay it off and enjoy it. idk lol
i like mine though 80k, brake pads are fine, everythings fine. all ive done is change oil every 10k. i bought new pads and rotors, i assume it cant not need them eventually.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The original concept of Scion was to have an ever evolving line up, instead of the 6 year run for a vehicle, it was going to 2-3 year cycles. Problem was that they tripped on their first one, namely the Frankenxb.

The sad part was that design came by way of input of what people wanted, more power, more room and ended up with a frankenxb.

The brand was to appeal to Gen Y, but actually sold more to Gen X and boomers.

I have to say, for awhile, it was quite the community. More Coachella than SXSW. Unexpected and edgy.

But that ended almost a decade ago.

Drive on...

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil
Notice in the article that the decline in sales for Scion began in 2007, with 2006 being their best year for sales. It was more than coincidence that this was when they killed off the 1st gen xb, and the xa. The tc is a great car, but at that time all that they did after that was to release the bloated xb and the xd. Both of the latter two were cars completely based on market research of asking people who already didnt like the xb and xa what they could change to make them like them.
If you've already got vehicles that were selling like crazy, then why the hell would you then shift all interest into people who don't like your products? And if so, why kill of good selling vehicles in order to go after ONLY the people who already didnt like them?
Just my opinion, I know, but this is always how it seemed to me back then.
besides, they've already killed off all the things about the brand that made it great. James Franco commercials aren't going to save them.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil
the decline in sales for Scion began in 2007, with 2006 being their best year for sales. It was more than coincidence that this was when they killed off the 1st gen xb.
If you've already got vehicles that were selling like crazy, then why the hell would you then shift all interest into people who don't like your products?
I think the 1st Gen xB was introduced as a startup to the Scion brand. Toyota knew they'd sell zillions of xB1's but they weren't making any money off of them. After the initial success they crashed hard with the 2nd gen xB and the 2008 recession killed new car sales for every company.

The original xB1 did it's job, it made Scion a name for itself.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still have my tC from 2005. Zero issues. Almost 150,000 miles. The greatest car I ever had. This sucks! I'm keeping it because I think it will become a classic by 2030!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Had to log in and comment when I learned of the news. Was surprising to me since they just launched the iM and iA.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First Toyota should fire the CEO for running Scion in to the ground...Well Maybe not he said he learned a lot from it.
Maybe if I kill somebody in Surgery they will make me Chief of Surgery at my work.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member

They started it to get some of the younger people "into" toyota as the brand was mostly bought by 60 yr olds... I'm not gonna lie, I will never be caught dead in a corolla or a camry and I refuse to even ride in that god awful prius...

they definitely mismanaged the brand, I have a 12 tc rs 7.0 and still get people giving me many many compliments on it. with that kind of reaction, they needed to capitalize, but they really didn't at all... so sad.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i rather drive my 48 y/o chrysler instead

Quick Reply: Toyota to kill Scion brand