Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Is flushness "over"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Scionlife Editor

Default Is flushness "over"?

Just though I'd ask this question and spark some discussion.

I used to see a lot of people pursuiing the "Hella Flush" look on their cars a few years back. You know what I'm talking about. Slammed. High offset. Tucked tires. I always though it looked cool in a form-over-function kind of way. Practical? No, but " There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

I see less of it now, and I suspect that's in part due to the backlash that people had. For one it's expensive. Also, it makes driving harder (slamming your car will do that). Lastly, it won't make your car perform better.

Are you guys seeing the same trends, or should I just get out more often? Tell me your thoughts.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get out more, Mr. Editor.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Well by "slamming" it and lowering the center of balance it in fact makes handling much well.. different. Some prefer the lowered center of balance as it assists in reducing the body roll (both visually unappealing and physically feeling like you're on a boat at sea).

I think "dead" as a term to define it is entirely wrong. It still happens, people are still doing it. Is it as popular? Depends. In comparison to the number of other vehicles produced and used, you could easily say the number of slammed/hella-flush vehicles has gone down however I still see different vehicles daily (in Phoenix, AZ) that are lowered, slammed, and then what I'll consider scrapers since any little ants that may be crossing the road will definitely impact the bumper lip.

So I'll strongly disagree it is not dying, or dead. Its a trend that ricers and true enthusiasts of select vehicle sporting styles still continue with today. I do as well believe in functionality over all, however my tC still sits at stock ride-height. I'd like to drop it a 1.5" -> 2" so I still have the ability to go over speed bumps and what not but for the most part it's about personal interest. Unless some sort of silly law regarding any modification to lower a vehicle below a set ride-height, I'd be surprised if it ever truly dies.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

california does have laws on how low your car can be but it doesn't stop people from sitting hella flush.... too bad
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's all about "stanced" now which should also disappear
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, just do what you like. Back when everyone was doing the tucked look, I hated it so I always had mine flush or with just a little poke. Now everyone's doing the stretched tire, major poke and I think it looks cool - but isn't practicaly for most people. No way in hell I can put those on my DD - so I still have my car with little poke / flush.

It personally just matters how practical it is for you, and how you like it.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone's car is in the shop getting new fenders, they'll be back.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

airbags are getting more popular and affordable, which further promotes the hellaflush/stance look.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been researching UAS bags that will fit over my FG coilovers.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tshock
Everyone's car is in the shop getting new fenders, they'll be back.
+1

Do what you like, personally I think "flushness" is overrated. Stretched tires are dangerous, and -4° of camber is the best way to end up wrecking your car trying to take turns too fast, slammed doesnt make your car handle better, it usually makes it handle worse. Like I said. Do what makes you happy, just dont put yourself or others in harms way.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be totally fair to the high offset wheel fans, My et 25 wheels saved my car from sustaining body damage when I clipped the HOV divider. The wheels took all the damage and kept the body off of the concrete blocks. Luckily I was running replicas.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trend now is functional, track-looking cars with over fenders or wide bodies. Still pretty low but tires are slightly more properly fitted on the wheels now. Hellaflush is still around though, just not as strong. I mean look at Mark Arcenal's cars, the guy who mainstreamed Hellaflush. He's got a track functioning RWB and his Nissan Quest is function flush if that makes sense. He's not running max camber or 195 tires on a 10" wheel.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have no idea where you got the idea that this hobby is over. In fact it's far from over. Maybe in your area but definitely not over.

Watch this.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ugh!... Ugh!... Ugh...!... Ahhhhhh....
Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on what your doing and who you are, but I never plan on flushing ( get it, yeah i need a life)

personally cars are meant to be drivin not just sitting pretty and going that flush espiecially that dropped/slammed just seems like a hassle

To each their own though
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 PM
TC1

I've always liked low but not slow. Some of this stuff is way overboard
Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etoomey3
+1

Do what you like, personally I think "flushness" is overrated. Stretched tires are dangerous, and -4° of camber is the best way to end up wrecking your car trying to take turns too fast, slammed doesnt make your car handle better, it usually makes it handle worse. Like I said. Do what makes you happy, just dont put yourself or others in harms way.

Merry Christmas!
++1

I fully agree. It seems "flush" goes hand in hand with camber a lot of times, as far as how people mod their cars. I think the crazy camber just looks straight up funky.. This comes to mind: http://www.7tune.com/oni-camber-video/#more-5034

Okay, it's a GTR and it's got a real nice rim and brake combo lol but who can hate that nice, even wheel gap

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol "wrecking your car" uneducated people make me giggle
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

I feel it's still doing well! But i do have to agree, with those above that say it is a pain in the ___, basically pointless, and probably dangerous. Being one of the lowest static, with stretched 215/35 on 9.5's, with -6F and -8.5R camber i can easily say i can't drive anywhere near tough. I do have to take my time with every drive, and i seem to be constantly replacing or patching things together. But!, i enjoy the way it does look. And since i'm the one paying for the parts, and the one wearing through the tires i'm going to do what i please. Just buid your car how you please! and expect hate always.

Quick Reply: Is flushness "over"?