Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

FOGLIGHT WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default FOGLIGHT WARNING!!!

I just thought I would warn people regarding the factory optional fog lights offered for the tC. TOYOTA DOES NOT OFFER REPLACEMENTS FOR THESE LIGHTS! Mine was recently broken while driving (a rock I am guessing), and the dealership called to order one for me and was told that there are no individual replacements for them. And due to the price the comapny asks, they were going to try to make me pay for HALF of the price of the entire kit for one light. I explained that the kit includes the lower grill, harness, lights, and switch, and that I would replace the whole kit with an aftermarket before paying for half a kit when I am not recieving half of one. So the dealer worked and worked with Toyota, who kept ignoring us and not calling back, for one whole week before finally prying a price out of them. The light ended up costing me about $100 (which is on par with the xA and xB replacements, which they DO make replacements for). I have called in to scion customer care they are working to get a replacement part offered. They agreed with me that it is completely ridiculous not to sell the lights individually, as they very commonly get broken. I hope that they get this resolved, so the next person does not have to go through all of this to simply replace the light if the lens breaks. Keep in mind though, that the bulb itself is replacable as it is a 9006 bulb and can be removed from the housing, but if the lens breaks, you replace the entire housing. Anyway, just thought I would get this info out there.

Thanks a TON to Kelly (in sales) and Dan and Al (in parts) for helping to resolve this! I know it was as frustrating to them as it was to me to be given the runaround by toyota for a week on something this simple!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

what size are the bulbs because I wanted to change them anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by engifineer
Keep in mind though, that the bulb itself is replacable as it is a 9006 bulb and can be removed from the housing
Hooked on Phonics worked for me. :D j/k
Old 04-01-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Standard 9006 headlight bulbs. I am going to replace mine too I think now that i know the price. To get them out, you have to get to the back of the foglight with a phillips screwdriver. You can try to reach between the grill and radiator but it is tight. So get underneath and remove the plastic covers below the car. There are a number of push pins and screws that have to come out, and the covers slide out. You are then looking at the back of the foglights. Remove the three screws on the retainer and the bulb should come out.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

so just to recap... the fog lights are the same size as the regular headlights??
Old 04-02-2005, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I havent looked at the size for the headlight bulbs, but the 9006 is a fairly common headlight part number, so you can get then at any wal-mart, part store, etc
Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I broke one last week as well, and I was afraid that this might be the case. It's sort of silly to have lights that are 6" off the ground be made of glass, but I suppose if they were plastic they'd get pitted up pretty quick? I'm going to toss the kit in the dumpster long before I shell out $100 for one lamp.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No screws need to be removed to change the fog light bulbs. If you can reach down from the top they twist and pull out. I have long arms which helps, but you definitely dont need a screwdriver to remove them.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks
Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldn't you get a clear or even yellow overlay to help prevent the glass from breaking?

it's a shame that they charge so much for foglights that are visually unappealing...to me at least
Old 05-04-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the lights are available individually. The part numbers are 81220-01011 for the left and 81210-01011 for the right. They are the same lights used on the Matrix.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonathan
Actually the lights are available individually. The part numbers are 81220-01011 for the left and 81210-01011 for the right. They are the same lights used on the Matrix.
You're right! However, they're still ~$125 each. Is Toyota high?!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ True, but toyota had no listing for the individual ones when mine was broken. My dealer was forced to purchase the whole kit and sell me one housing out of it. After notifying scion about this, I was told that they started listing the individual housings. It sounded more like a logistical error than anything. In either case, they listed them for approx $95.

As far as the way they look, I love them. They are different from the same old corner fogs, and a million times better than the tiny little add ons that you can buy just about anywhere. Those ones that look like someone stuck an oversized LED in thier corner vents look like cheap autozone afterthoughts IMO So it is all personal preference.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice, foglights from dealerships always have problems it seems. on my 95 impreza it came stock with foglights. one bulb went and i went to subaru to buy a replacement bulb. They told me "Your car doesn't come stock with foglights" which completely through me off. I showed him the car and his only response was, "Those look like the stock foglights"
Old 05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's a shame that they charge so much for foglights that are visually unappealing...to me at least
Those ones that look like someone stuck an oversized LED in thier corner vents look like cheap autozone afterthoughts IMO So it is all personal preference.
lol. I agree with BOTH statements. Some after-market company needs to design a fog kit that does fit into the corner vents and won't look cheap. I hate the Toyota ones (not like I would have them anyway with my RS1.0), but I hate the tiny aftermarket ones too. Too bad I don't have the skills to do the Lexus mod.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

That is a bummer. At least they tried to help you find a solution. One of customers had an opposite experiance... Took a month to resolve.

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
couldn't you get a clear or even yellow overlay to help prevent the glass from breaking?
When the replacement came in he picked up a clear fog light protection kit.
If you choose to protect them just keep in mind if you also use a high watt bulb or leave them on for hours in parking lot rush hour traffic jams, the film gets unhappy in some cases.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned
SL Member

I have a broken fog light also, the dealer told me it would be 160 for the light plus 80 for labor , oh well now I have a cool fish tank.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

$80 for labor? God, they are charging you for an entire hour. Even with not being able to fit my hand in well enough to do it from on top, and having to drop the splash gaurd down underneath it took me all of 15 minutes to replace it. They snap in and out.

And they completely ripped you off on that price. Once the finally listed them separately, they called to let me know that they were listed at $97 ea, which is high, but they charged you for half the entire kit!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
And they completely ripped you off on that price. Once the finally listed them separately, they called to let me know that they were listed at $97 ea, which is high, but they charged you for half the entire kit!
I'd like to know where you found them for $97 each. I called a couple places and one told me $192 and the other told me $125. My driver's side lens got broken within the first 3 weeks of me having my tC.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I bought them through my dealer. I told them I would absolutely not pay 1/2 the price of the kit for one light (given the kit contains the grill, harness, switch, etc). I mean.. they can argue high prices.. but they cant intelligently argue paying for half a kit and only giving me one light. The parts guy agreed. He and I got scion corporate involved since at the time Toyota did not offer the parts separately, they charged the dealer for a whole kit. They spoke with Toyota, who then called the parts guy back and said they could sell them for $97 each. This is right on par with what they listed the xA and xB lights for a peice. I havent had an issue with them since. I understand that they can break.. that wasnt my beef.. hell a rock hit one while I was running down the highway. My issue was thier pricing logic. I would call scion customer care if they want as much as some are seeing. Also, as I mentioned, dont bother having them install it. It is super easy. Just get underneath, pop the push pins and screws out of the splash gaurds and drop them down. After that it is cake. If you have really small hands and long arms.. you could probably get to them from the top.

Quick Reply: FOGLIGHT WARNING!!!