Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

help with bumper/ aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 AM

Default help with bumper/ aftermarket headlights

hey guys,
i just replaced my stock headlights with some custom halo LED's and an HID kit on my tc. for some reason there is a gap on both sides right underneath the light and above the bumper. i was reading alot of stuff online and also went to some shops and they said that this is pretty common with aftermarket lights. was just wondering if there is a fix for it or anything i could buy to block the space as i do not want anything getting damaged due to rain, etc. any ideas?????
i got the spyder auto aftermarket halo projectors.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Quality control isn't very high when dealing with parts like that. The solution is to put your stock lights back in. The LEDs and halos will burn out eventually anyway.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you're going 50-60mph in the rain, it doesn't really matter if you have a small gap underneath your headlight, there's a ton of rain running through your engine bay anyway.

As for your issue, the only thing you can try to do is try to re-align the lights. You can loosen the bolts, move the light to where you want it, and tighten again. Aftermarket lights are known to have fitment issues, I have a few with mine, but i've adjusted it to where i think it'll be ok.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aftermarket head/tail lights usually don't have that nice big bumper clip on them that the stock ones have. After installing my SpecD tails I noticed my rear bumper is a tad loose now, because they don't have that clip. I assume that's the case with your headlights.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherDude
When you're going 50-60mph in the rain, it doesn't really matter if you have a small gap underneath your headlight, there's a ton of rain running through your engine bay anyway.

As for your issue, the only thing you can try to do is try to re-align the lights. You can loosen the bolts, move the light to where you want it, and tighten again. Aftermarket lights are known to have fitment issues, I have a few with mine, but i've adjusted it to where i think it'll be ok.
I tried doing that but then the sides and top get all jacked up. Fixed it to the point where there's like a little gap on the bottom. I'm going to go see if I could buy like a piece of rubber that will just sit in there to take up the space. Thanks alot..... Will update when I check it out
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you didn't transfer the bumper clips from the OEM's to the factory, this is likely your issue.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by stenger
If you didn't transfer the bumper clips from the OEM's to the factory, this is likely your issue.
You just saved my life bro. Nowhere in this video did it say anything about transferring clips. Now just got to find the time to take it apart again. Another issue I'm having is the hids aren't aimed rite so my lights suck in the dark. These new lights been a pain man. Considering just pitting my stock ones back on
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock is the only way with headlights.