Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID's in the dims and the brights???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID's in the dims and the brights???

I have the stock headlight housings. i am getting ready to buy a HID kit for the dims- the 9005 bulbs. I know w/ our TC's when the bright lights are on, then the dims are on ALSO. I assume that doesn't change if you ONLY install a HID kit for the dims and regular bulbs in the high beams. I don't hear of any of you running an HID kit for the dims and the brights. would this be a big headache, would it just be blinding, and/ or other reasons????

thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my wife and I both run HIDs in the Highs and lows and i even have them in the fogs. The only down fall for the HIDs in the brights is they have to warm up so unless you have a good strech with no on coming traffic then you may want to get silverstar ultras. i love the setup so if you want is then go for it.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2 I have them in all 3 as well. No problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM

you might want to change your parking lights which are the bulbs underneath the low beam bulbs. get white led lights (194) to match your 5000k hids
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM

+1 with the warming up issue.

Also if you use you high beams for "flashing" other vehicles instead of using them mostly for full on you'll greatly shorten the lifespan of the bulb and ballast.

HIDs take a few seconds to warm up, so if you're going to try to "flash" someone it'll just flicker and shut off. Constant turning on and off of HIDs isn't good for the ballast nor the bulb.
The tC also runs halogen reflectors in the high beams, so you will be blinding oncoming traffic very badly with that setup. You know how bad HIDs are in regular low-beam reflectors are? Imagine that same type of thing happening except there's even more height and width on the beam because the high beams are designed to have a much higher and wider beam pattern.

My opinion on HIDs in high beams is don't do it unless you're running a bi-xenon setup (where the high beam is the low beam and there's a shutter that is triggered by the high beam switch that allows more light through). You don't really ever need HIDs in the high beams unless you're off roading or something ridiculous like that.