Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

OEM Taillight Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OEM Taillight Project

When I first got my 08 tC, one of the first things I wanted to do was swap the taillights. In my opinion, they just looked too aftermarket with all the circles. Got myself a pair of RS3's but I'm still on the edge with the design.

I went back and forth and have finally decided the OEM 05-07 tail lights looked the best... but they've aged a bit. A few years ago this was the average design, plain red taillights.. but if you've noticed, manufacturers are going the extra mile in HL & TL designs. they've got more depth if you will.

The jetta is a good example. When they release a "redesigned" jetta, they sell them with the plain ol red tail lights at first. But with the midcycle refresh, they give the tail lights more character. During these refreshes, they usually don't change any major lines in the body; the best they can do is to swap out other pieces of the car.. such as the TLs and HLs. In my opinion makes a huge difference.

I originally wanted to paint the interior housing black as the exterior already has a red lens to give a similar effect but it looks a little more complicated than that. (Btw, has anyone done this before?)

1) I'm leaning more towards leaving the circular areas where the bulb lights up, as is and painting the rest black.. I'm thinking if you paint where the light is supposed to reflect off of, it'll hinder the way the taillight lights up and it might look awkward.

2) The top region of the headlight (turn signal area). It is just a huge dip until it meets the bulb. By avoiding painting this area as stated in 1, the OEM red would really look awkard, with the bottom 2/3 that's been painted. Does anyone have any suggestions in darkening this area? The only solution I came up with is maybe a film or a coating like VHT shade on the interior of the red lens.

Lo and behold, a couple of days, I ran across Bat's GTR overlay. I'm going for the exact look.. but without the film on the exterior. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by GrnBrownies; 02-20-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty lengthy post for a simple mod.. but if you couldn't tell, I've thought about this for a while lol thanks to any advice in advance!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a slight application of vht on the interior would look pretty slick and cops shouldn't hassle you because there will be nothing "modified" visible on the outside. If you want to keep the reflected areas untinted you could have vinyl circular stickers made to apply before spraying and then pull off when done. Also, I've always thought it would be cool to get an led ring instead of the bulb and fab it into the light; I always thought the 05-07 tails really had potential.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what color is your car? I'm a fan of contrast between the lights (I usually don't like the murdered out look), so I wouldn't tint the lights on a dark colored car. But if you like the murdered out look, then definitely tint them.

I recommend getting the taillights professionally clearcoated by a bodyshop after applying any red or tint spray paint.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
I think a slight application of vht on the interior would look pretty slick and cops shouldn't hassle you because there will be nothing "modified" visible on the outside. If you want to keep the reflected areas untinted you could have vinyl circular stickers made to apply before spraying and then pull off when done. Also, I've always thought it would be cool to get an led ring instead of the bulb and fab it into the light; I always thought the 05-07 tails really had potential.
Looking closer at the taillights today, it seems they have another lens in the inside that covers the entire 1/3 top of the taillight so I might be able to take that apart and spray some VHT to somewhat match the bottom painted portion. I'll be sure to post up pictures if anyone is interested in doing something similar to this.

As far as LEDs, I'll just upgrade to LED bulbs to up the lumens and keep it simple. The only ones I've seen that does a great job at keeping the look clean and looking OEM is clearcorners. IMO, perfection. price: both arms and legs

There was another company (I forgot the name) but they also did a *decent* job but I didn't like the way their LED design looked aftermarket when lit up:

Originally Posted by HKSpeed
what color is your car? I'm a fan of contrast between the lights (I usually don't like the murdered out look), so I wouldn't tint the lights on a dark colored car. But if you like the murdered out look, then definitely tint them.

I recommend getting the taillights professionally clearcoated by a bodyshop after applying any red or tint spray paint.
My car is silver. I don't like the murdered out look either. I figured, since I'm only spraying components in the interior of the TL (which will be properly sealed up afterwards), I wouldn't need a clear coat. I don't see any benefits of clearcoating components in the inside of a TL. correct me if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love those modified tails you posted, but I couldn't get around the price. I have ANZOs. Haha.

I think a slight tint, making the tails darker would look excellent on the silver.

Any you may want to make sure you don't have any crazy orange peel on the vht inside. the outside will look shiny, but the inside could look a little hazy. as long as you're semi-proficient with a rattle can you'll be fine.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds good. When I have some down time I'll get around to it and post up what I come up with.. hopefully the end result will be somewhat similar to the idea I have in mind lol
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Used a DIY for TYC lights, I baked the taillights, thinking that between the lens and the back housing was a layer of thin glue.. well, didn't even budge and I warped the lens

lol well, lesson learned.. even at 250 deg, the lens will warp before u can even separate it.. assuming there is a layer of glue there. Gonna use this one to test on. Either way, gonna figure a way to make a clean dremel cut.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Which side did you ruin? I have a passenger side 05/07 that is in excellent condition, except it has a 'stain' on the inside of the lens. Would need to be taken apart to clean it - you can have it cheap if you want it, for your experiment, or to replace the one you cooked.
Hard to see, but it is to the right of the reverse light, almost in the center of the light.
Name:  IMG_2418-1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  112.7 KB
Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, haha u got my hopes up for a second. I warped the driver's side. All good.. live and learn. I'll be using this warped one to test on. Thanks for ur advice thus far on this thread & the other man!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phew! wasn't easy but overall, I'm happy with the outcome. came out like I had in mind

what do u guys think?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks clean. Great idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks mate
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks pretty clean. What did you use to seal them back up?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks! I wanted to at least stabilize four corners on each taillight with JB Weld before I put on goop, but decided to go with JB weld all around (tedious job using the point of a paper clip) but it allowed me to get a clean job rather than slather around the edges.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finished pics?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

up a few posts ^

as for pics of it installed on the car, I can snap them after I wash the car.. this winter hasn't been too kind and the car is doused in a healthy coat of salt lol
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Don't care, want pics. Haha.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you guys are so adamant.. here is a couple HORRIBLE pictures lol excuse the ginormous wing.. I wish I had never installed it.

Right taillight is covered in salt, more so than the left side. hence the haziness. Probably will get a car wash this Friday I'll post up better pictures then.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Taillight Project-resizedimage_1394561615465.jpg   OEM Taillight Project-resizedimage_1394561616170.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good! Definately original.

Quick Reply: OEM Taillight Project