Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Painting with OEM matched aerosol cans

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. i have 7 of those paint "guns" laying around. Got real tired of sitting there using my finger.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The spoiler looks like it's on the right direction. I would use 2000 grit instead of 1500. If you take rubbing alcohol and rub it on and the wet spots looks like you want it to for the end project, you could probably go ahead and move to clearcoat. That's what I did atleast.
I'm also disappointed to hear you had bad luck with the duplicolor cans. What was wrong with them?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RoboCop
The spoiler looks like it's on the right direction. I would use 2000 grit instead of 1500. If you take rubbing alcohol and rub it on and the wet spots looks like you want it to for the end project, you could probably go ahead and move to clearcoat. That's what I did atleast.
I'm also disappointed to hear you had bad luck with the duplicolor cans. What was wrong with them?
I'll take a pic of the duplicolor can that I got and post it up. Maybe they're different from the ones you we talking about. They spattered quite a bit when I first started in on a new can... even though they had been sitting out in the heat. That didn't bother me so much. I really didn't like the fan pattern on them. I get that paint guns shoot more of a vertical fan spread (like the duplicolor cans shoot), but when the spread is only 3" it just makes it harder to use on a large surface. I felt like the round fan pattern on the other cans made a "softer" pattern to blend.. if that makes any sense.

Autozone was out of 2000 grit. That is what I wanted because I had already tried 1500 on the pearl paint, and I knew it would ruin the finish. I'll have to go find some 2000 before I sand much more. It may be possible to remove the wet spots with 1500 then switch to 2000 and end up ok. I already ordered 1 more can of paint though, so I intend to fix the surface with another super-light coat before I shoot clear.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
SL Member

On a side note... I gouged my hand while opening a beer with the back of a lighter last weekend. Scrubbing the paint off my hands with gas has turned out to be one of the most painful parts of this project!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 AM
SL Member

Ok.. catching up. First off, I owe RoboCop a pic of the spray cans. As you can see the one on the right is Duplicolor and the one on the left is automotivetouchup.com. I really thought that the Duplicolor ones dribbled all over the place. I did not have to wash paint off my hands with the automotivetouchup ones. Even though I was complaining about it earlier... they didn't spatter near as much either.

I had a little bit of a delamination problem on the edge of one side. I figure I'm lucky to catch it now. I sanded it back down and resprayed primer.

Aside from the one problem area, I think the rest is looking really good for a final dust coat. I finally feel like I'm on the right track.

Basically I hit the whole thing with 1500 grit and didn't feel like I was getting far enough, fast enough. I downgraded to 1000 grit and gave the whole thing a good sanding. It's all baby's-butt smooth now, and all of the problem areas have been taken care of. This is gonna turn out well I think.