Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

To Remove Or Not To Remove?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default To Remove Or Not To Remove?

Well, I called pulled over by CHP a couple days ago and they gave me 3 fix it tickets (smoked taillights, front license plate, and window tint). I am planning on just swapping out my tails and replacing them with my OEM ones (then swapping them again for my smoked tails ones I pass the "fix it") and same goes with the front plate. Now when it comes to the tint I am kind of skeptical about. It did cost me a few dollars to place the tint on the windows and I don’t want to pay to get them removed and then pay to reinstall them (that would add up to a few extra bucks from my pocket). If I don't fix my window tint I understand I will get fined for it. Does anyone know how much the fine might be? Or do you think I should just remove and replace the tint? Please HELP!

Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure what the fine is...In NJ we just get tickets no fix it deals.... Here its only $40-50 so to me...even if I got one a year who cares.... As for you... Why would you ever take them off, then pay to have them put back on? that ends of bein majoorrrr loot..... I would just take them off and leave them off.... or pay the fine.... takin them off and putting them back on it just nutty... good luck...
Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

when i got pulled over for my tint...and if i dont take it off...ill pay the 118 fine + a record on ur license...which i didnt understand beacuse it wasnt a movin violation...so what i did was...took it off payed 45 bux to put it back on since it was only the 2 front windows...so if u think about it...45 is way cheaper than paying that 118 fine plus record......

and oh yea just wait for the letter they'll send you which will say how much the fine is....btw how long did they give u to take them off coz mine they gave me 2 months.....and which i waited the last minute to take them off...so goood luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just keep taking it off and putting it back on until you get sick of it. Seriously, I used to be in love with my 18% all around tint, but the LAPD and the Sheriff didn't like it. Each time I got a tint ticket, I just had it removed, went to the courthouse, and had it put back on, all within a few hours.

Where did you get your ticket and what courthouse do you have to go to? I assume you were assigned the Chatsworth courthouse. I had the same one. Well, there is a tint shop really close to the courthouse and he does removal for $10, and reinstallation cheaper than the regular price. He hooked me up a few times. The place is at 8870 Tampa, just south of Nordhoff. They do good work. After my third removal and reinstall, I decided to change the 18% for 50% on the sides and windshield, and I have not been pulled over since.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 AM
SL Member

just pay the tint ticket.. chances are if you got pulled over for tint your going to get pulled again. its easier to swap out the llights and put a plate on.. tints not so much. to keep paying for tint removal and tint installation will most likely cost more than the ticet itself. mo
Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not true. The tint removal and reinstallation will always be cheaper than paying the ticket.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awsome... thanks guys... ill look into it.. i think i might just go with RodC suggestion...

RodC do you remember the name of the shop?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 AM
SL Member

good luck bro.. keep an eye out for the fuzz now lol
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right here: http://www.westcoastwindowtint.com/

The shop is on Tampa by the railroad tracks, on the same block as PetCo and Costco.

Btw, this guy did my removals in about 5 minutes. I just showed up without making an appointment or anything, and he came outside with his razor blade. He just makes a little cut, peels off the pieces, and scrubs away the glue. Real quick and about ten bucks. After that, the courthouse is a couple of blocks away, and then it's up to you if you want to go back to get the tint reinstalled. I recommend going lighter because your current shade is obviously attracting the cops. I kept getting the same tint reinstalled, but the cops just kept on coming. I say 50% is safe for avoiding the cops.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Koo... I appreciate it...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Instead of going through all the hassle just put legal percentage tint on your car...doesn't that solve both problems? no ticket and windows are still tinted...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no legal percentage, so no, that doesn't solve both problems. There is no dual solution.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

So this isn't effective anymore?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not really, no. 70% is standard from the factory. Any tint applied to factory glass will result in less than 70% of light getting in. A 70% tint applied to 70% tinted glass would definitely be illegal, although not very noticable.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ That's why the CHP does not tolerate any tint of any darkness on the front sides:

"Illegal...
Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC). "

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, 70% that sucks i believe its 35% here. on the mazda i was running around with 5% but got pulled over and the LEO used this little machine that he put on my window and i rolled it up like 1/2 way. and turns out it was 6% so i was ____ed. not that i got a ticket but that i payed for 5% tints and the tint place gave me 6% but ooh well, sold the car to get a TC probably gonna get 35% on it just so its legal but still looks really good.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they don't want any type of tints on the front, so i'd say remove and leave them off cause if you get stopped again with a ____ty officer and he saids pop your hood, then your doomed with alot of fix it tickets which i don't think you'll want, but if you decide to put the tints back on then just go for 2 shades lighter.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all about deciding what you can safely get away with. Whatever state you live in, you can usually get away with going one grade below the state legal limit.

In California, the fact that everyone has tinted windows means you can get away with something considerably darker than the law allows. 70% tint would be fine but not worth the money. 50% tint is legally safe and dark enough to block out the heat. 35% is clean but you will get pulled over sooner or later. 18% is frickin awesome but you will get pulled over about once a week.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i was running with 10% on my driver/passenger side window for about 2 1/2yrs. until recently
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You were extremely lucky to get away with it for that long. I had 18% all around, including the front sides and windshield. I lost count of the number of times I got pulled over, but the cops were always cool with me because I have a clean record and I told them I was on my way to school. I got countless warnings, but I eventually got a ticket. After the first ticket, the cops stopped being so lenient and gave me more tickets for repeat offenses. I had that tint for a bit over 6 months, and received 3 tickets in that time. Although, I did always drive with the windows up.

Anyway, went down to 50% on the windshield and front sides. No problems anymore, so I would say 50% is a safe bet.

What was your secret for having 10% for 2 1/2 years?

Quick Reply: To Remove Or Not To Remove?