Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

So my roof EXPLODED today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wait a minute, your Girlfiriend didn't like the Xb, and so you got a Tc? Who spends the most time driving the car you or your Girlfriend? Also, who pays the monthly note on it, you or your Girlfriend? In my eyes the only way you can redeem yourself is if you tell me that they were both or the Tc is a manual.

BTW, thats crazy, sorry to hear about your Sunroof.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: So my roof EXPLODED today!

extended warranty kicks in after your 3/36000.... do you have over 36000miles on your car? curious....

Thats exactly what I was wondering.

Also, did they flat out DENY you a loaner car? I guess it depends on the dealer, but I used to be a service advisor for a Toyota dealer and we were able to get a loaner for pretty much anyone who needed one. The manufacturer's warranty should allow you one if the work takes a certain amount of hours. And DEFINITELY if they need to keep your car overnight.

Sometimes you have to be a little insistent about it, or you may have to wait until they have a loaner available if they are all in use. I'd inquire about it again if I were you. My local dealership lent me a nice white xA while they were doing work on my car
Old 02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

was your sunroof all the way open when you were driving on the freeway? i don't really think you're suppossed to do that?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awww.... sorry man... i have been hearing some weird sounds coming from my roof also whenever the sunroof is closed but the copver is open... but when i close the cover or when i open the roof, the sound disappears... you guys think theres just a loose screw?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive worked at car dealers for 18 years ive seen this happen
to various cars porsche/audi/acura/toyota/land rover porsche convertable back glass many times acura sunroofs
its more common than you think and factory tech reps cant
exp it ether
Old 02-11-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess it was some sort of fluke. I mean, if you think about all of the accident reports we get here on this website, about bodies being twisted and sudden impacts and what not, and most if not all that I've read have said the sunroof came away intact. All of the pics I've seen on www.wreckedscions.com appear to have the sunroofs intact as well.

So, logistically speaking, now we know it can shatter/explode, but as proven time and again, in the large majority of cases, it will be completely safe.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jermcruz
was your sunroof all the way open when you were driving on the freeway? i don't really think you're suppossed to do that?
I've never heard that before... Why?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dotn know if anyone said this but if it is the dealerships fault that they have to keep your car over a period of time they have to provide you with a car. Check your warranty book. The only exception is if it is a conflict of scheldule that will not allow you to pick the car up. So I would talk to the dealer and get a car while your TC is being worked on.

Peace,
MD
Old 02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Ok so to answer a bunch of questions and an update. It turns out that not only is the glass broken but the track assembly somehow destroyed itself also, so they get to keep my car until mid week waiting for the track. There is a rental waiting for me when I get off work. I'm not sure what the whole extended warranty thing was but that is how I was told when I asked. My platinum warranty doesn’t cover glass so we’ll have to see what happens. You are probably right; I wasn't persistent because that is how I am. The roof was COMLPLETELY shut. Not even cracked open.
To answer the thing about the girlfriend, I drove the xB, liked it but she didn’t. So I test drove the tC, and liked it even more. Besides my twin brother just bought a BSP xB so I can drive that to get my fix. Anyway, it sucks but we’ll see what happens in an hour and a half. Well I have to get back to work. Talk to you later.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JeniQ
I've never heard that before... Why?
there is nothing wrong w/ having your sunroof open all the way while on the freeway.... to scare people
Old 02-11-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ltacosta, can you explain a little more clearly?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad he pointed out that this was a fluke. There hasn't been a recall on it, or even a bulletin, unlike "sunroofs making noises." Who knows, the glass he had may have been defective. The company that Toyota is doing business with might have had a guy who was working on this certain glass and gotten distracted or not left it in the oven long enough causing it to weaken. So many factors could be accounted for, almost impossible to tell.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The same exploding glass thing happened me once several years ago in an Isuzu Trooper (the first boxy ones).

I went over a road irregularity that made the body of the car twist a little, overcoming the structural rigidity of the windshield and making it explode.

Probably, the rear portion of your glass roof assembly was not capable of taking the stress coming from the body and it exploded.

I'm glad you are doing fine and the warranty will cover it.

Good luck
Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's crazy man glad you're ok. Hope everything gets worked out
Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, sounds like everything will work out okay and no one got hurt.

Just curious why you even bothered with added the extended warranty?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Peace of mind probably
Old 02-13-2005, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't say it is bad for your sunroof to have it all the way open on the interstate but if you do open it all the way at that speed the suroof is to large for the stabilizer bars that hold it in place. This results in a lot of up and down movement because of the air passing over and under it. If you watch it at 70 mph with it all the way open you will see what I mean. I don't think it would break off from this but I can't imagine it being good for it either though
Old 02-13-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so will installing struts bar and rear sway bar improve the "regidity" of the car which prevent the body from twisting, which in turn cause the glass roof to crack?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

And why is that? You can use it whenever you please. And I think he said it was closed anyways.

That sucks. I have been thinking about this and as much as I love my tC, I dunno. If this happens to me I might look in to something else
Old 02-13-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I think that something hit your glass. My wife has about 5000 on hers and not a problem. The only squeak we ever heard was from the foam insert in the spare tire well. I am betting that a rock, another car, hit you glass.

Quick Reply: So my roof EXPLODED today!