Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

SOLVED! Rear Hatch Rattle..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain_tC
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Originally Posted by emiller
My rattle appears to be the loose push pins that hold the light assembly together. I havnt had a chance to take it apart and look but you can see them looking up into the hatch from the bottom. TSB is similar to a recall but not saftey related (its annoying and nothing more) and they do not have to tell you about it if they dont want.
Can you post some pics of exactly placement of the push pins in the light assembly? And are you noticing the rattle on both sides of the car. Most of us notice on the very back of the hatch; passenger side.

Thanks.

Kevin
Thats exactly it! Rear passenger side. It sometimes almost sounds like its the glass itself rattling. I know my car probably wont die on me or anything, but the noises are so aggravating. A good comparison would be like trying to sleep but that stupid annoying bird chirps right outside your window the entire night. Its a constant noise that I hear everytime I am in my car. And dont even get me started on the dash noises!
Captain TC, have you noticed the hatch rattle is better/worse on some days? The last two days, the rattle was real bad for first 5 minutes and then it rattled only after a somewhat average bump in the road. But the first 5 minutes, the rattle was there during normal driving on flat road... Strange. I have also noticed the rattle is better/worse for entire days. It is like I try a fix and it seems to help and then the full rattle sound comes back. So what made it better for a while????

It would be nice to know from Scion if this problem can be found/fixed. I have tried so many so called fixes so far but NONE have worked. Luckily all the fixes have been cheap. I am surprised that Scion issued the hatch TSB as this TSB did NOTHING to fix the problem. Now, Scion has spend thoudands of dollars of its money to NOT fix a problem. You would think Scion would drive a "rattle" car for a week and try to diagnosis it.

Kevin
Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely. Its very picky with which bumps it wants to rattle on. My car prefers only slightly bumpy roads. It wont rattle over big potholes. And its definitely somedays more than others. I think the driver side door is starting to make some noises too. The dash is just a lost cause. And my sunroof rattled for the first time recently, but that was only in the slightly open position. My funds are tight at the moment, otherwise I would be signing trade in papers right now.

The hatch rattle is definitely the worst!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My rattle appears to be the loose push pins that hold the light assembly together. I havnt had a chance to take it apart and look but you can see them looking up into the hatch from the bottom. TSB is similar to a recall but not saftey related (its annoying and nothing more) and they do not have to tell you about it if they dont want.
Can you post some pics of exactly placement of the push pins in the light assembly? And are you noticing the rattle on both sides of the car. Most of us notice on the very back of the hatch; passenger side.

Thanks.

Kevin
Sure Ill try to get a pic of it at work tomorrow. Not positive that its the light assembly because I havnt pulled anything apart yet. Not sure what else would be in there though. Mine is very back passenger side actually thought it was the sub for awhile.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain_tC
Absolutely. Its very picky with which bumps it wants to rattle on. My car prefers only slightly bumpy roads. It wont rattle over big potholes. And its definitely somedays more than others. I think the driver side door is starting to make some noises too. The dash is just a lost cause. And my sunroof rattled for the first time recently, but that was only in the slightly open position. My funds are tight at the moment, otherwise I would be signing trade in papers right now.

The hatch rattle is definitely the worst!
My hatch is similar but doesnt do it very much every few days maybe and only on the slightly bumpy roads which are rare in Michigan. Its the only rattle Ive got now.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
tom
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You would think Scion would drive a "rattle" car for a week and try to diagnosis it.
I think there are just a ton of different rattles for different people. You'd think that most of them would percolate up, but they probably see them as one-off problems and ignore them as such. They're certainly not struggling to get these cars off dealer lots, so why improve?

ALSO, my rattle (despite the dealer-replaced spot welds) is starting to come back. If I take the car in and find that the welds are still screwed up, my hope is that I will have a good case to get out of this thing via arbitration, since I think it's a very reasonable argument to make that welds failing on a car significantly decreases its market value (and possibly safety).
Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I think my roof started creaking after I put in my sways, but I can't tell cause stereo is loud annd my injen exhaust purrs nicely!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tom
You would think Scion would drive a "rattle" car for a week and try to diagnosis it.
I think there are just a ton of different rattles for different people. You'd think that most of them would percolate up, but they probably see them as one-off problems and ignore them as such. They're certainly not struggling to get these cars off dealer lots, so why improve?

ALSO, my rattle (despite the dealer-replaced spot welds) is starting to come back. If I take the car in and find that the welds are still screwed up, my hope is that I will have a good case to get out of this thing via arbitration, since I think it's a very reasonable argument to make that welds failing on a car significantly decreases its market value (and possibly safety).
Appears most of us with the hatch rattle have isolated it to the passenger side all the way in the back. So Scion could take one of our cars for a week (give us a loaner) and diagnose it. The "weld" might be the real deal as all the other fixes have NOT worked at all. But if they fixed your weld, it is hard to believe a the weld would already crap out. Let us know what they say.

Kevin
Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer ordered parts that the TSB apparently required. They installed them and I still get a rattle. I'm about to give up.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jglonek
My dealer ordered parts that the TSB apparently required. They installed them and I still get a rattle. I'm about to give up.
What did they replace?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jglonek
What did they replace?
I have no idea, all they gave me were part numbers. If I list them can you or anyone figure out what they are?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably the hatch stays as toyota calls them or the struts as us normal folk call them.

And to update mine, my rattle is still there. I'm thinking it is a bad spot weld which explains why it's worse on hot days than cooler ones and non existant when it's cold.

I even tried putting some sound deadening material above the headliner back there to try and quell it a bit, which it did but, it's still there.

If you have gone to have the rattle fixed three times and it's still there start mentioning lemon law if it really annoys you.

As for mine it's gotten to the point where if the radio is on I can't hear it so I'm going to patiently wait for a real fix and or recall.

I love my tC to much to be giving it up for another car, even a 06 tC. Plus I'd have to pay to have the new one lowered with the TRD stuff again and that just sounds silly.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thread
Probably the hatch stays as toyota calls them or the struts as us normal folk call them.

And to update mine, my rattle is still there. I'm thinking it is a bad spot weld which explains why it's worse on hot days than cooler ones and non existant when it's cold.

I even tried putting some sound deadening material above the headliner back there to try and quell it a bit, which it did but, it's still there.

If you have gone to have the rattle fixed three times and it's still there start mentioning lemon law if it really annoys you.

As for mine it's gotten to the point where if the radio is on I can't hear it so I'm going to patiently wait for a real fix and or recall.

I love my tC to much to be giving it up for another car, even a 06 tC. Plus I'd have to pay to have the new one lowered with the TRD stuff again and that just sounds silly.
Not so fast about the hotter days being worse. Mine is the opposite. Mine is MUCH worse in the winter time. I would say about 30-40 degrees my hatch rattle is a 10 while right now in the 90's, its about a 4.

A couple of other things I have noticed....it seems to be worse on cloudy days and better when its sunny. This goes back to the heat thing I guess. Also it only happens when going over a bump or a crack that causes the whole rear end to bounce up and down together....I never hear it when only one tire hits a pot hole or something else that causes it to bounce more side to side. Finally, I hear it most at slower speed than I do a faster speeds.

Anyway, I really don't know what to do with the car. I have already taken it in once but ALL my rattle are still there. I am thinking about trading it in maybe next summer, but like you, I still love the car and there really isn't anything out there in this price range that I like.

I just hope Scion Corp can find a fix for it soon because they have an outstanding product but the rattles are way too annoying to enjoy the car. Even with my radio at 35 I can still hear them. It has even got so bad that I refuse to listen to a radio station because when the DJ's start talking, there isn't enough sound to drowned out the rattles. I even skip to the next track of my CD when the end of a song is coming because I can't stand have the couple of seconds of silence in-between songs. Luckily, they put a decent stereo in the TC
Old 09-09-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does sound like most people have different rattles, but since nobody can fix them, who knows - they might be all the same. I've got the rear passenger side hatch rattle (or one of them) as well as something in the sunroof - it's getting worse too - the other day when I closed the drivers side door I heard it. I wonder if it's the loose bolts in the sunroof that people used to report. It never used to do it so I didn't care at the time.

Also, the worse on cold days things make much more sense - when it's cold things contract and so there is more clearance between the pieces - when it's hot they expand and might hold together tighter.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i talked to a dealer and they knew of the rattle in the sunroof coming from the arms that open up the wind deflector, but there wasn't anything they could do until Scion came up with a fix..
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My rattle was gone for a few days after I brought it in for a fix (well, I still heard something but it almost sounded like the license plate?), but last night and today the rattle is back and is as bad as ever.

I'm really not happy, but I don't know what to do.

Oh, and the part #'s they ordered were:

68960-ow261, stay
68950-ow261, stay

then it says 'rich clark's part #'s.. that might not mean anything though.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
Also, the worse on cold days things make much more sense - when it's cold things contract and so there is more clearance between the pieces - when it's hot they expand and might hold together tighter.
EXACTLY! i noticed that too..in the morning dear lORD! the roof rattles like pop corn kernals in a tin can! but when i go home in the afternoon..it's all nice a quite...GRRR!!! i am thinking maybe the designed and built the car in the cold HA!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry about the crappy pic. I didnt realize it til I got it all put back together.
1. Anyways looking up at the bottom of the hatch between the interior plastic trim (gray part) and the outside of the hatch (blue part) you can see a large gap with a loose push pin (white thing) type connector. There should be 1 on each side. Mine 1 was just loose rolling around inside there and the other was in the pastic part but not the hatch so the plastic part moved around easily and rattled.
2. Should have taken another pic of this but next to the little pull down handles on the inside of your hatch there is a phillips head screw. One on each side.
3. Take them out so you can see inside the hatch.
4. Place the push push pin back into the plastic trim. Sort of like a C shape that goes around the push pin head.
5. Using your hand hit the plastic trim piece right above the push pin and this will push it back into the metal hatch. Dont hit it hard though.
6. Enjoy the quiet ride once again. So far so good with mine. The rattle is gone.

Now its a normal sized pic lol.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i should give it a go
Old 09-09-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck. hope its this easy on everybodies car. no dealer or special tools needed.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had a rattle one morning when it was 23 degrees. When it warmed up in the afternoon it went away. Go figure I haven't heard it again, but i have a feeling I will. When it does I'm going to rip everything open to find out what it is. The sound is annoying as hell in an otherwise quiet interior. It really drives me insane.

Quick Reply: SOLVED! Rear Hatch Rattle..