Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Spec D / K2 Motor Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spec D / K2 Motor Tail Lights

Just a question for those of you that own Spec D and K2 motor tail lights on your tC. On the Spec D tails, do the turn signals blink in stages or is it a solid blink like factory? I've noticed the K2 motor tail lights turn signals blink in stages. Like they are dim, then brighter, then brightest. Then dim, brighter, brightest etc.

Also can you tell you are braking even when the turn signals or hazards are on? Considering the blinker uses every LED in the tail light I figured that would be a hard thing to accomplish. Especially with the ones from K2 because of that staged blink.

I ordered the ones from K2 because they were far cheaper ($65) than Anzos (and I've already had anzos) but I'm starting to worry and think maybe I shouldn't have ordered these tail lights from K2 Motor on eBay. I know the way Anzos function and I'm hoping these function just as good.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about stages, but from the videos I've seen the whole grid blinks for the signal. That's the main thing I don't like about them.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
I don't know about stages, but from the videos I've seen the whole grid blinks for the signal. That's the main thing I don't like about them.
Yeah that's why I'm asking this question. None of the videos actually show the blinker while on the brake so idk if it even shows you are braking while you have hazards on or turn signals.

The staged blink ones are the K2motor ones I think, or it could be my buddy just has his wiring wrong lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did u install these yet?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DMC0585
Did u install these yet?
Yeah I have.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyPnOtIk
Yeah I have.
Did u have to rewire anything? Or blow any fuses
Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No you don't have to rewire anything. As far as fuses being blown, yes I blew one fuse under the dash. I replaced it and all was well. I would recommend going to pick up a pack of 10 amp low profile mini fuses before install just in case. I bought a pack of 25 for like $9 (pack of 25 was all autozone had) before the install so I knew I was covered when it came to fuses.

The one problem I have with these tails is that the stock reverse bulb doesn't fit in the hole. They include one with the tail lights but instead of being a 921 18W bulb, they are a 194 bulb with less than 5W so your reverse lights are REALLY dim. I guess some people have used LED bulbs to help combat this issue but 194 LEDs still won't be anywhere near as bright as your stock 921 bulbs. Someone also shaved down the hole to fit his stock bulb In it, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that to lights I just spent $135 on. This seems to be a common issue with Spec-D lights. It's not the fault of the company I bought them through.

If you decide you want these I recommend buying them from k2motor on eBay.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyPnOtIk
No you don't have to rewire anything. As far as fuses being blown, yes I blew one fuse under the dash. I replaced it and all was well. I would recommend going to pick up a pack of 10 amp low profile mini fuses before install just in case. I bought a pack of 25 for like $9 (pack of 25 was all autozone had) before the install so I knew I was covered when it came to fuses.

The one problem I have with these tails is that the stock reverse bulb doesn't fit in the hole. They include one with the tail lights but instead of being a 921 18W bulb, they are a 194 bulb with less than 5W so your reverse lights are REALLY dim. I guess some people have used LED bulbs to help combat this issue but 194 LEDs still won't be anywhere near as bright as your stock 921 bulbs. Someone also shaved down the hole to fit his stock bulb In it, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that to lights I just spent $135 on. This seems to be a common issue with Spec-D lights. It's not the fault of the company I bought them through.

If you decide you want these I recommend buying them from k2motor on eBay.
I have these lights and I bought it from eBay few years ago and drivers side tail light went out! So I need a new one! But when I purchase I had to rewire them because they weren't wired right it was a quick and very fix! That's why I'm asking you about this issue I had in the past but it never gave me an issue with reverse bulbs! K2 seems to be the only store that sells them now few years back they were several them selling this type of tail lights!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have these lights and I bought it from eBay few years ago and drivers side tail light went out! So I need a new one! But when I purchase I had to rewire them because they weren't wired right it was a quick and very fix! That's why I'm asking you about this issue I had in the past but it never gave me an issue with reverse bulbs! K2 seems to be the only store that sells them now few years back they were several them selling this type of tail lights!
Well I guess they fixed the wiring issue and created the reverse light issue lol. Mine were wired properly. I did read about how some had to switch pins and stuff. When I opened them I made sure wiring was good or I was going to send them back. I wish I would have known about the stock reverse bulbs not fitting in them though.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know why fuse was being blown
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know why fuse was being blown
Just had the harness plugged in wrong. Once I switched the plug the right way all was well.

I didn't have to do any wiring modification of any kind.