Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Steps for painting Lip Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steps for painting Lip Kit?

Wsup guys.
Been a long time since i put up a post.
I've searched to see if there was a thread on how to paint the lip kit, but no luck so far. (I have the RS1 lip kit)
I believe it should be similar as painting rims(?), but just wanted some advice and steps from painting pros on SL. I'm planning to spray paint it so here are some questions:
1. I know that the kit needs to be sanded but with what grip?
2. Do they sell the exact paint color at Autozone, etc.? (Spray paint)
and if not, what can I use that will be very similar to a Super White tC?
3. Estimate price for all the equipments?
4. Exact steps? (sand-> (primer->paint)x2) ?

trying to do this during the weekend b/c i have no time at all during weekdays and sometimes on weekends. Anyways, help would be appreciated

Thx!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Would you consider using proper automotive paint? If you can get access to a paint gun, 2 part paint would give you a much better paint and actually last the life of the vehicle. I'd suggest an HVLP gun if you can afford it or know a friend with one. Otherwise gravity feed will work, it will just waste more paint. Stay away from siphon, it's a pain and messy due to the higher pressure required.

Is there a carquest near you? They can put a device on your hood and scan the paint for an exact match, even taking into account fading. I use the Nason 2k Urethane primer, it's thick but dries hard yet flexible, makes an excellent base. Before the primer I sand to 300, and after about 800. Then I put on the color, and clear without resanding. Should all be doable in a weekend, but you will need a charcoal mask because the fumes are pretty nasty, a paper mask won't cut it.

What do you have in the way of a facility? Outside, shed, garage?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watching.. (we are on the same boat night87)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by night87
Wsup guys.
Been a long time since i put up a post.
I've searched to see if there was a thread on how to paint the lip kit, but no luck so far. (I have the RS1 lip kit)
I believe it should be similar as painting rims(?), but just wanted some advice and steps from painting pros on SL. I'm planning to spray paint it so here are some questions:
1. I know that the kit needs to be sanded but with what grip?
2. Do they sell the exact paint color at Autozone, etc.? (Spray paint)
and if not, what can I use that will be very similar to a Super White tC?
3. Estimate price for all the equipments?
4. Exact steps? (sand-> (primer->paint)x2) ?

trying to do this during the weekend b/c i have no time at all during weekdays and sometimes on weekends. Anyways, help would be appreciated

Thx!

not sure about that. but this web site sells it. just type in your year,make,model and color. you can buy spray cans, touch up or by pints.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm
Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part 1

1. Put lip kit into car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Drive to paint shop.
4. Hand over to friendly paint shop man.
5. Pick up in a couple days.

Part 2
1. Take out of car.
2. Put it on car with screws.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Part 1

1. Put lip kit into car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Drive to paint shop.
4. Hand over to friendly paint shop man.
5. Pick up in a couple days.

Part 2
1. Take out of car.
2. Put it on car with screws.
if i was rich and had the money, i would do that for sure, but i would rather save 3~400 buks and do it myself if i can b/c i did some interior spray painting.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Would you consider using proper automotive paint? If you can get access to a paint gun, 2 part paint would give you a much better paint and actually last the life of the vehicle. I'd suggest an HVLP gun if you can afford it or know a friend with one. Otherwise gravity feed will work, it will just waste more paint. Stay away from siphon, it's a pain and messy due to the higher pressure required.

Is there a carquest near you? They can put a device on your hood and scan the paint for an exact match, even taking into account fading. I use the Nason 2k Urethane primer, it's thick but dries hard yet flexible, makes an excellent base. Before the primer I sand to 300, and after about 800. Then I put on the color, and clear without resanding. Should all be doable in a weekend, but you will need a charcoal mask because the fumes are pretty nasty, a paper mask won't cut it.

What do you have in the way of a facility? Outside, shed, garage?
awesome answer. i'll c what i can do. thx
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I got mine painted at an automotive school for $125 the cost of the paint...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not trying to discourage you.. but if you have never paint auto-body parts before, chances are, you will ____ it up one way or another. just spend the money and let the experienced autobody shop do it. Do it RIGHT the first time so you won't have to pay more to fix the problems down the road.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

put on grass, shake rattle can and spray LOL nononodont do that

i also advice you to just take it to an autoshop and have it done correct the first time!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamie1tc
I got mine painted at an automotive school for $125 the cost of the paint...
how would you know they do that kind of thing? and if they messed up :?.. will they take responsibility?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boblacks
how would you know they do that kind of thing? and if they messed up :?.. will they take responsibility?
yea. waiting to hear an answer. i'm down for it depending on the responsibilities, etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm sure if they messed up, they would fix it.... They did fine... I got in contact with the body shop teacher...they always need projects. It was a nice easy one, and my lowest estimate was $400. I kicked azz on that one!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by caliban
Not trying to discourage you.. but if you have never paint auto-body parts before, chances are, you will ____ it up one way or another.
No time like the present to learn. And if it gets messed up, just wait a day and sand it back down. I had my side skirts sent out because I was scared to paint them; cost too much, quality was poor and they threw away the OEM skirt mounting hardware. Decided that was it, got my own gun, and now do my hood, bumper, trim, etc. and it comes out better than the shop. For $125 you could get a full quart each of primer, color and clear, plus activator. he only needs a pint for the bumper, so can probably get all the paint stuff for $40-$50 minus the gun and compressor. Check youtube and google for painting tutorials. hardest part is finding the right nozzle size and air feed setting for the paint you're working with. i jsut shoot a bit on cardboard until I'm happy with the stream.

Whatever you do, don't rattle can it. the paint will look like crap within the year. Especially on a lip, where there are rocks all the time.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamie1tc
i'm sure if they messed up, they would fix it.... They did fine... I got in contact with the body shop teacher...they always need projects. It was a nice easy one, and my lowest estimate was $400. I kicked azz on that one!
wait didn't u say 125
Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
No time like the present to learn. And if it gets messed up, just wait a day and sand it back down. I had my side skirts sent out because I was scared to paint them; cost too much, quality was poor and they threw away the OEM skirt mounting hardware. Decided that was it, got my own gun, and now do my hood, bumper, trim, etc. and it comes out better than the shop. For $125 you could get a full quart each of primer, color and clear, plus activator. he only needs a pint for the bumper, so can probably get all the paint stuff for $40-$50 minus the gun and compressor. Check youtube and google for painting tutorials. hardest part is finding the right nozzle size and air feed setting for the paint you're working with. i jsut shoot a bit on cardboard until I'm happy with the stream.

Whatever you do, don't rattle can it. the paint will look like crap within the year. Especially on a lip, where there are rocks all the time.
awesome answer. trying is learning i guess i'll check some tutorials. thx