Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

tC Hatch Handle broken..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by droddfish
A flaw doesn't have to be universal. They recalled the glass sunroof guard for Scion-paid modification because on a few vehicles it was randomly or easily shattering. Not every sunroof shattered.
there was NEVER any recall for the deflector.. a TSB was sent out as a safety concern that when the glass did shatter that it wouldn't spray everywhere... so an adhesive laminate was added.

Originally Posted by tC_Performance
Oh and once again it is a flaw in design, who puts plastic supports connected to your screws to support the whole freakin hatch weight when you open it??? Stupid design if anything.
refer to..
Originally Posted by WhiteWolfG
Well- I've had a CF hatch without any gas springs on the back for almost two months now, and i've had my tC for over a year. This means I have to unlatch the trunk, then grip it from the bottom and lift *and hold* it up... so far I've had no problems with the latch piece, but like SquallHeart said- I'm not hefting it by that piece.
the gas struts supports ALOT of the hatch weight... you probably can't even imagine how heavy it is without them... when i open my hatch, the gas struts lifts the hatch pretty much and requires little assistance on your part to open the hatch.

as i said... manhandling is not needed.
I'm in agreement with Squall. There is never any need for me (on a stock tC) to ever lift the hatch with great force. The gas springs take a large load of the weight and lifting itself, I just need to give it a little nudge open up. Press the button, give it a nudge, and let the springs do the rest. Even while I'm closing the trunk, often the springs will catch it and try to open it back up; I have to be careful with that, myself, because I'm afraid of slamming it hard or anything like that.

As for the original post/situation, I think you may have voided the warranty by removing the cover. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe it may be safe to say so.

No stock un-modded tC hatch would need force to open the hatch, period.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent really been on here since i posted this. but just to let everyone know that piece was fixed and working fine.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member

4 years and 1 month later, the same piece just broke on me. Called the dealer and he thought I was someone else who came in with the same problem and began telling me the status. I interrupted him and told him I wasn't that person. Sounds like it's becoming a common issue.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mine broke today.

Get the part from here http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2435 , and save your money.

To DIY, take a look of brake light installation guide on oznium.com ( http://www.oznium.com/articles/17 ).
Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow.. i just made a topic today because of this..
my hatch garnish is broken too... the two middle plastick thing is broken.. im gluing it together i will put it back tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My hatch handle broke right off just about like everyone elses here. I took it to the dealer and they told me that I intentionally broke it and if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay $300 to fix it. I think that this part is so HORRIBLY designed. It makes me so angry that they can charge so much for something that is made so cheap!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah.. you should so how thin is that part which is broken.. its unbelievable...

go and get a badgeless one for 300 or a carbonfiber one...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

wtf mine broke today
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

same thing with the 1st gen xB. you pull up using the button NOT the plastic. plain and simple..
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can add me to the list, mine is busted. . . . Grr.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default There's a TSB on it..

There's a TSB on it to let you guys know.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just posted something about this happening to my car. Same thing happened to me. I tried opening the rear hatch and the whole piece just came off. So from what I hear, everyone is saying that its gonna cost $150.00 bucks. That's a rip. Besides it being a crappy design, did anyone notice that the hatch sticks a little to the rubber weather stripping. That's why people use to much muscle and rip off the rear hatch panel. any who, wheres a good place to find a replacement????
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i think you missed the link somewhere up on this page. I gave it a shot to order the part myself there's no way I'm paying 300+ for that. this thing is shaving my paint right off and I'm sick of seeing it held up by duct tape (yup...duct tape!)
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to a Dealership.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
theres a tsb on it to let you guys know.
Ahhh that would explain why the dealer replaced mine for free even though its out of the 3yr/36k warranty period.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
theres a tsb on it to let you guys know.
Do you or anyone else have a link to the TSB (or at least the text of it)? Mine is half broken off and when I found this thread, I wasn't surprised. I know that if you use it just right it should be fine, but it really is poorly designed... you shouldn't put plastic in a load-bearing spot like that. People are going to pull on it, even when the trunk isn't unlocked. Your door handle would never break off like that.

Also, I can see the four bolts holding it on when I pop the plates on the inside. Is the best way to remove it to go through the two little access holes or are people pulling off the entire rear trim piece? Does anyone have instructions or pictures? If I can't get it covered by the dealer, I might try to epoxy it back together.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

same thing happened to me. the dealership wannts like 250 for it. the best deal i found for a legit one is on ebay for 105 and they will send it in any color
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep - I paid $240 because the part is about 1/2 of that and I realized I'd have to take the whole trunk apart. The dealer did it and put it together poorly. I took it back and then did it again and now it's right but the clips are loose, probably from being attached and removed a few times. If you can find the instructions to take the hatch apart, do it. And for the person who posted that there was a TSB, I don't think this is the same issue. It's a poor design, but I don't think Scion considers it a defect.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i have an 07 and it creeks like crazy. hopefully it dosnt break off anytime soon or even at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah I have an '05 and I broke mine about five months ago....um, yeah it definitely took some force. I left to Cali for training and so my car was left in NC over January. When I returned a month later, I tried to unlock and open the hatch and it wouldn't budge (later found out that my valet key battery died)
so I assumed the hatch was iced shut or something. Anyways, long story short, I tugged really hard and the damn thing flew up and landed on top of my hatch, right as some hot girl was passing behind me . I'm in Afghanistan now, so when I get back I'll just order a new one...no biggie...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge and U.S. Marines icon

Quick Reply: tC Hatch Handle broken..