Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: are you having any "abnormal" paint problems with your tC
Yes - My car is Azure Pearl
2.53%
Yes - My car is Black Cherry Pearl
4.43%
Yes - My car is Flint Mica
9.49%
Yes - My car is Black Sand Pearl
6.96%
Yes - My car is Indigo Ink Pearl
2.53%
Yes - My car is Silver Streak Mica
8.23%
Yes - My car is Super White
6.33%
NO! - My car (any color) is doing fine.
59.49%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

tC paint problems - how many are effected?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Contra
Originally Posted by smash
Originally Posted by Contra
This is making me very nervous. I just ordered a SSM tc yesterday and I hope I don't regret it because the paint is bad.

Eh.. no biggie. If I were you I'd save myself the trouble and cancel the order and just get another color while you still can. I just got an estimate today for fixing the chips and fade spots and repainting the front end of my car with a more durable clearcoat from a good bodyshop and.. yay.. $1,300!!
Is there a link between the color of the cars and the paint problem? I just thought that flint mica and silver streak mica had the most votes because they were the most popular/bought colors.

Honestly.. I don't know. It could be, they are both variations of silver. There's a dealer who is checking my VIN number to see what production batch my car was produced in, and comparing it to a customer's of his with a flint mica having the same chipping/peeling issue.. he wants to see if maybe this problem only affected certain, possibly earlier batches.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, these type of threads have been posted before........

But I will way this again...If your paint is bubbling, gosting (water under clearcoat), or peeling off (like on the older Dodge Neon).

Then YES you have a paint problem and your dealer should take care of it.

If your complaining about "excessive" rock chips- then your driving on roads with excessive amounts of rocks.

Rock chips are not a paint problem!

Ive detailed a $45 Audi A6 with more rock chips than my scion!

My mothers 28K Camry SE chips just as bad as my scion. My fathers 38K 4Runner SE chips as well.

I hate chips like the rest of you do. But I dont follow closely, and keep my distance and I think my xB's front end has 4-5 tiny chips. Big deal......
Old 01-26-2005, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member

This is all horrifying news being that I'm coming over from a Matrix XRS that i believe was painted with nail polish 10 minutes before i picked it up. I was really hoping after those 2 years to be getting something with decent paint.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couple of things here folks...

1. Every time a new Toyota product comes out, there are folks on various bulletin boards that claim to have paint problems. If you have the time and inclination, go to Edmunds and search in the Solara, Avalon and Tundra threads. You'll see a lot of folks complaining about stone chips and speculation about soft paint. In the last 6 years of playing on various boards, I have seen exactly two that had genuine problem paint. One was a Solara where the paint was coming off in large chunks and a Tundra that had a similar problem on the roof.

2. When a car is new, you notice the little stuff. On your old car, you may have had enough little marks that one or two more didn't make a difference. You're hood may not have been as rounded as the Scion. There are a number of reasons that it appears to get a disproportionate number of chips besides a paint issue.

3. New paint is soft. Do you know why? They can't be heat cured as they once were. Federal factory emission rules preclude long term baking and that means it takes a lot longer for the paint to reach its maximum hardness.

4. This is the big one... there is one paint "defect" out there. Its the one where it looks like you have splatter marks in your paint. I've seen it on silver, flint and ingido. It will not buff out and doesn't show in all lighting conditions. There is an extremely simple fix that takes only minutes. Go get an extension cord and a hair drier. Set the drier to "hot" and hold it above the affected areas for a minute. You'll see it vanish, never to return.

I agree that this should never happen, but it does. It has for a number of years. I've seen it back as far as 1996 on the 4Runners and we've always dealt with it the same.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

..concerning what appears to be moisture between paint and clear coat .
..there was a service bulletin around May '02 .
..moisture gets traps under the ragland (white shipping plastic)
..this stains , GOOD NEWS : it can be taken care of .
.. with a heat gun ; heat area , max. temp 156..let cool and check it out..may take several attempts . ( just don't get it too hot , might melt paint )
..it works , fix a BSM xB .
..don't know if a hairdryer will get it hot enough , but you might try .
zinc
Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cliffy1
Couple of things here folks...

1. Every time a new Toyota product comes out, there are folks on various bulletin boards that claim to have paint problems. If you have the time and inclination, go to Edmunds and search in the Solara, Avalon and Tundra threads. You'll see a lot of folks complaining about stone chips and speculation about soft paint. In the last 6 years of playing on various boards, I have seen exactly two that had genuine problem paint. One was a Solara where the paint was coming off in large chunks and a Tundra that had a similar problem on the roof.

2. When a car is new, you notice the little stuff. On your old car, you may have had enough little marks that one or two more didn't make a difference. You're hood may not have been as rounded as the Scion. There are a number of reasons that it appears to get a disproportionate number of chips besides a paint issue.

3. New paint is soft. Do you know why? They can't be heat cured as they once were. Federal factory emission rules preclude long term baking and that means it takes a lot longer for the paint to reach its maximum hardness.

4. This is the big one... there is one paint "defect" out there. Its the one where it looks like you have splatter marks in your paint. I've seen it on silver, flint and ingido. It will not buff out and doesn't show in all lighting conditions. There is an extremely simple fix that takes only minutes. Go get an extension cord and a hair drier. Set the drier to "hot" and hold it above the affected areas for a minute. You'll see it vanish, never to return.

I agree that this should never happen, but it does. It has for a number of years. I've seen it back as far as 1996 on the 4Runners and we've always dealt with it the same.
Yeah, I totally agree- thats why I said what I said above- not only that- but on Focus boards you heard about "paint problems" all the time....
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyway. I know that I have a paint problem, and that's all that really matters in the end. Furthermore I could care less who agrees with me and who doesn't. The world has always known skeptics, and it always will. I have my arguments, and you may have yours- I'm just not willing to sit here while my friggin brand new car rots away from crappy cheap ___ paint. And that's why I'm doing something about it. You all should be doing the same thing if you think you're having "abnormal" paint problems.

And you know what ____es me off? People who want to sit here and talk like they're experts on the paint matter- why, have you worked 20 years at a paint and body shop? NO. I don't think so. Point being, all it ever, EVER comes down to is personal opinion on the matter- if you FEEL your NEW car should not be looking the way it's looking at the moment, then get off your ___ and do something about it. Don't just sit there and say "no, it's normal man I'm probably just driving on too many rocky roads". That's weak.

Oh, and one other thing. Maybe the people in this area are all on crack but of the 5+ plus body/paint shops I have gone to for estimates, they have ALL agreed whole-heartedly that, even though the chips are impact chips, they are too numerous and too deep through the paint and primer to hardly begin to be called "Normal" on such a new car. Oh, and the "ghosting" effect has also decided to get underway on my hood, too.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck trying to get Scion to pay for it....
Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, thanks. don't spare any sincerity on me or anything, please.

PS- as i've said before, at this point it doesn't really matter if the arbitrator finds in my favor or not- what's more important is that i'm bringing it to the company's attention ANDletting them know that i am not happy with the entire "Scion" customer experience. they need to make some major adjustments before i will consider buying a toyota again, for reasons above and beyond the paint on my car.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smash
yeah, thanks. don't spare any sincerity on me or anything, please.
TRUST ME I dont have any for you- I was being scarcastic!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohh, and they dont care if we have a "good" cust. experience.

Why?

Because Scion has 100's of people waiting to buy a scion!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that was the most retarded thing I think I've heard all day Thank you.

Well, at any rate, not that you know how they run their company- but if they really don't care if their customers have a good experience, then it will eventually come back to bite them in the ___. The biggest msitake a company can make is not caring about their customers.

A car company especially requires good customer service; if the customer isn't happy it can be detrimental to their reputation and their business. It's common sense I'm not saying anything most half-wits don't know. Save you, apparently.

My last reply to this because I'm not following the golden rules of this board and "keeping my posts relevent and helpful".
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Default Scion TC Paint Problems

First of all I am not a first time car owner, I have had a few cars before I purchased my Scion. I have a 2008 Scion TC, Crimson Red and I purchased it new in November 2007. My car currently has 4,850 miles on it. Every time I wash my vehicle I notice more and more paint chips on the hood, side doors, etc. And these aren't just random paint chips, I am talking about several chips appear to be in clusters on my hood. There are random chips on the side doors though. I will be taking my car to the dealeship to have them check it out. I know for a fact that these paint chips are not "wear and tear issues," this is the result of a poor quality paint job. And the dealership had better not try to tell me any different because I know better. There are also numberous scratches on my car, so many that I am afraid to hand wax my car for fear it will scratch the paint! One day I waxed my car and noticed that my microfiber cloth was etching into the paint in certain places. Microfiber doesn't usually scratch painted surfaces. Toyota needs to correct this problem of using low quality paints on their Scion vehicles. I purchased this car brand new for the simple fact that I didn't want to deal with wear and tear issues for a few years. That's the whole reason to purchase a brand new car.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

^^how often do u wash ur car?? r u using a clean towel??
Old 07-11-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

my nautical blue is fine
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need pictures, but my car is fine just too much swirls but that is my fault.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my sw is turning yellow... and the bumpers and lipkit never really matched the color of the car...

also getting little spots all over it like rust color... but thats normal to white cars
Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
SL Member

if theres anyone in the orlando area, i can get you a great deal on an awesome paint job for your entire car. i asked my toyota dealer and they said a paint job would run me between 3k-5k. i can get it done for 1500 or so, and it looks amazing.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:44 PM

On my 06 Black Cherry, it has dings and nicks all over the front of the hood and bumper :/ bothers the hell outta me.