Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

tC and window tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default tC and window tint

Ok heres the story I got my windows tinted about 3 weeks ago. Already there are many scratches running vertical on my tint and some tiny tiny air bubbles, and also a piece of hair under the tint, a nice medium sized hair off someones head. I bring it back to the tint shop today and the tinter says he cant do anything about it becase supposedly with tint, "if you cant see the imperfections from 5 feet away then its considered a perfect tint job" I feel hes BS ing me. And the excuse for the scratches is that the scions in general have really really tight windows, as do 04 accords and benz's he said so scratches are to be expected. Told me some guys with mercedes get there windows done once every 3 months to keep fresh tint without scratches, like i have the time to do that. Sorry for the long post but i need some help do any of you other tc guys with tint have scratches on the tint because you have really really tight windows or is it all a bunch of BS.

thanks
Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man what an ___ sorry to hear that my place warrenties there work NQA for the life of my car so like when i see something wrong the schedual me in and they fix it. You got a bad installer there.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well my windows are dirty as heck right now from all the salt here in south jersey.. But I got my windows done bout 3 weeks ago by now.. And Other than the rudness of the guy.. The tint job wasnt that bad.. Coulda been better but its livable. Ill let ya know how the scrath thing is diong when I clean my car...

Id go back and tell them to fix it.. Hair in your tint isnt a perfect tint job.. BEEEOOTTCCHH to them mayun!! And goodluck
Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by makubex
Man what an ___ sorry to hear that my place warrenties there work NQA for the life of my car so like when i see something wrong the schedual me in and they fix it. You got a bad installer there.
ditto
Old 01-28-2005, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hell no that's not a perfect install. Try to get ahold of a manager there, or if you can't, call the Better Buisiness Buearu.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hair in tint lmao.

What did he say when you pointed that out?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Lol he was trying to bs me like I didnt know what i was talking about. Hes like i dont know what you want its not a perfect factory tint job, stuff does float around in the air at the shop.. and also hes the owner of the tint shop so no mnager to go to, i think i may just have to deal with it for now and more towards summer get the two front windows redone somewhere else. But thanks for letting me realize that my tinter was a loser

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That tinter is an idiot, the tint shop I worked at wouldn't even let that out the door. The owner of the shop would have the window redone if it looked like crap from 1 inch away, and a hair is a big no no! I would complain to the owner of the shop, have them pull all the tint off, get your money back, and go somewhere else.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw him, if he does not fix it, call the better business bureau. The tint shop I went to damage my interior by scratching it up and putting a rip in it, as well as scratching my paint. They didn't answer to me or the BBB, so small claims court is my next move.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I mean the tiny bubbles i can live with its just the scratches that really annoy me. Im just afraid if I get it redone it will scratch again, ie; meaning something might be wrong with my car causing it to scratch the tint. Like maybe something in the door or window mechanism itself. Because I dont know why or how it scratched.

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might want to get those bubbles taken care because I think it might spread over time and cause the tint to peel. This is an assumption though, not a fact.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

would a hair dryer or heat gun work?

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They use a heatgun on the tint and a squigee (however you spell it), but I think it takes some skill.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Man.. they plain out effed your car up.. Go back and beotch to them.. Dont back down to him.. whats the worst he can do.. repeatedly tell you NOO.. oh well.. worth every try..

And the window weatherstripping on the inside at the door is pretty tight.. Mine is starting to aget a few scrathes in it already and my tint only been on for like 3 weeks..

When I got my car back and was able to put my windows up and down.. They were squeekin soo bad.. You could hear from a decent distance.. They claimed it was a factory problem. I said fix it now or ill get my lawyer.. this is a brand new car. under 3k mi.. He played wit it right in front of me and presummed to tell me that there was a nother piece of weatherstrippin in there they didnt know about and they were gonna fix it.. well be right back... SOO DONT BACK DOWN!!..

LOL.. factory problem... a squeeking window right after i get tint installed.. What an idiot.. HE LIED TO ME.. =;0
Old 01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

once the rest has dried, the bubbles are trapped. You can try poking them with the tip of a tiny needle and then push the air out. But really, bubbles and hair are not acceptable. IMO

When I got my visor strip done and was inquiring about the doors, the guys wanted to sell me some sort of replacement or covering for the window trim inside that presses against the window. Said the Toyotas have a hard piece there and it will scratch. Of cours they wanted a LOT to add that to the job, but it sounded like it would be worth it in the long run.

FYI, I just bought a pair of pre-cut tints for the xB front windows off eBay. For $25 bucks, I'm gonna give them a shot myself...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am in pretty much the same situation as scionman. I got my window's tinted last week and am still unable to use my windows.

When I rolled my windows down for the first time I rolled them all the way down then all the way back up in order to get the rubber inside to pop back into place as I was instructed by the tint guy. The passenger side LOOKED fine but there was major rubbing going on. On the driver's side the actual rubber came up with the window and was popping out of the door. I called my tint guy right way and he said all I needed to do was get the window's wet with soap and water and they will slide right into place. He didn't seem to understand that the rubber was out of the door on one side. Soap and water was NOT going to fix this problem. He insisted that that was all it needed and he would come back out to my work on Monday morning to pop the rubbers back into place for me.

Monday comes and goes and he is unable to make it. He shows up on Tuesday afternoon and "fixes" the rubbers. I roll both windows up and down a few times and they seem okay, running at their normal speed with no noises.

Twenty minutes later I get in my car to go to lunch and I give the windows a few more test runs. Now they are both moving very slowly, rubbing hard and making a horrible noise. There are huge rub marks on the insides of the windows. When rolling up the windows on both sides you can hear/see the rubbers inside trying to pop back out of the door sill again... you can see the actual door panel move up with the window.

After lunch I call the tint person AGAIN and explain the problem. Basically his answer was "Sorry, don't know how I can help". He insists that he has done tint work on many, many Scions and has never seen this problem. He advises me to let my car sit in the sun and soften up the rubbers inside which had been warped for over a week now and that if that doesn't help then I should take it to Scion.

Unacceptable answer.

We get into a heated conversation and I then ask when I can expect my refund. He tells me that the tint is perfect and he will not be issuing a refund but if I do take it to Scion and they need to replace a part that he will pay for it. I guess I'll have to wait and see how that pans out.

It is extremely frustrating that I have had the car for only 3 weeks and something is already wrong. (Especially to me since my last car had manual windows and the driver's side wasn't able to roll down for a year and a half!)

I guess I am going to take it to Scion and have them take a look at it. I'm just wondering what they will tell me especially since I got my tint done elsewhere and not through them.

I'm sorry for the rest of you experiencing window problems but its reassuring to know I'm not the only one.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

For you guys with new tint this stuff called Plexus works awesome. Its a plastic cleaner, protectant and polisher, it acts like a wax on the tint to help it slide with no problems. However today i hit the bubbles with a hair dryer and they went away dont know why the tint guy couldnt do it. The only thing that really annoys me is the scratches, glad to see im not the only one with them. And i wish i woulda known about the hard plastic in toyotas that could scratch the tint. And scionman nice to know im not the only one with scratches though. I guess its just something thats gonna happen on the car and im not getting the tint redone till its pretty scratched or i cant take it ill just get it redone whenever. Unless scion/toyota comes up with a way for tint not to get scratched.

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have tint on my tC all around... and i have yet to see any scratch due to "tight" window rubber strips. That is all BS...

Whoever did your tint either used cheap tint film or don't know how to apply them correctly.

You should take it back and have them re do it... or atleast contact Better Business Bureau for resolution. www.bbb.com

good luck~
Old 01-30-2005, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is nuthin wrong wit the application of the tint. The tint is pretty clean. I have no problems wit my windows now after telling the idiot that the noise wasnt a factory problem and he fixed it.. They didnt scrath right away. But afer a few weeks I can start to see some scrathes setting in.. Some of them are pretty deep to. I had the same problem wit my grand am.

A wax wont keep it from scrathing but will help to let it move free-er..( if you can say it like that..lol) Also keep your windows clean to rpevent dirt build up on the inside weatherstripping . Which will cause scrathing as well..

After each car wash I do.. I always put the operating windows down and rub the sill weatherstripping on the inside and outside wit a clean damp cloth to remove any kind of debris that may have accumilated in there to prevent scrathin on the inside and outseide of my window.. I HATE SCRATHES WINDOWS!!.. And the worst is when your winshield starts gettin chips from debris on the highway. ans scrathed from dirty wiperblades.. Change your wiper blades frequently.. There cheap enough and will prevent windshield scrathing!!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So what do you do in the case of scratching tint? Just suck it up and deal with it, or do get it redone every so often?

Quick Reply: tC and window tint