Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

07 tC won't go in gear now!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default 07 tC won't go in gear now!!! Help!!!

Ok, guys please don't judge me or have any disrespectful comments, I'm looking for help, advice, or if possible, a diagnosis........I have a 2007 scion tc, 2008 transmission because the seals broke on the other one, 89,000 miles, changed my first clutch at 45,000 miles to a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel because the factory one was worn due track runs and hard driving. Blew the springs out of the stage 2 clutch in a year (EBay Item, SMH) and the seals on the transmission last January. I then replaced the Transmission with a 2008 tranny because that salvage yard said thats all they had at the time and i put in a stage 4 6 puck clutch master's clutch and pressure plate. It's been a year now and here's what's been happening: I WAS DRIVING ONE DAY, CAME TO A LIGHT AND THE CAR WOULDN'T GO IN GEAR, TURNED IT OFF AND PUT IT IN GEAR THEN STARTED IT, FLY SHIFTED ALL THE WAY HOME BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T CHANGE GEARS WITH ME PRESSING THE CLUTCH IN. 6 HOURS LATER, GOT BACK IN MY CAR AND STARTED IT, IT WENT IN GEAR FINE......WENT TO WORK, GOT OFF 8 HOURS LATER, IT DIDN'T WANT TO GO IN GEAR AFTER STARTING IT...STARTED DRIVING, FLY SHIFTING AT LOW RPM, THEN EVENTUALLY IT CLEARED UP AND THE CLUTCH WAS WORKING, I WAS HIGHLY CONFUSED. IT WOULD DO THIS FOR ABOUT 4 DAYS, SOMETIMES IT WORKS SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T, THE SLAVE CYLINDER HAD BEEN BLED 3 TIMES IN THE PROCESS AND OUT OF THE 3, IT WORKED ONLY ONCE WHICH WAS THE FIRST TIME. I READ A FEW FORUMS, SAW THAT IT MIGHT NEED A SLAVE CYLINDER EXTENDER ROD, BOUGHT AND INSTALLED IT, BLED THE SLAVE AGAIN, IT WORKED FOR 10 MILES NOW IT WON'T GO IN GEAR AT ALL!!! JUST INSTALLED A BRAND NEW CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER LAST NIGHT AND DID IT BY THE BOOK AND MY CAR STILL WON'T GO IN GEAR........IM HOPING ITS NOT THE CLUTCH THAT'S BLOWN, IM REALLY NOT TRYING TO CHANGE THE CLUTCH AGAIN, IT WAS A HEADACHE. I NEVER CHANGED THE SLAVE CYLINDER BECAUSE THE ROD IS MOVING FINE BUT THE CLUTCH SEEMS LIKE ITS NOT FULLY DISENGAGING, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I CAN'T KEEP FLY SHIFTING MY CAR LIKE THIS. MY FRIEND TOLD ME IT MAY BE AN AIR POCKET SOMEWHERE IN THE HYDRAULIC LINE SOMEWHERE THAT HASN'T MADE IT'S WAY OUT. IM CLUELESS AND IM HOPING I DON'T NEED ANOTHER CLUTCH REPLACEMENT.......PLEASE HELP ME SCION LIFE FAMILY!!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-28-2017 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you ever replaced the slave cylinder seals....the rod itself dont go bad....its the seals within both master cylinder and slave cylinder...if you replace the clutch and master cylinder....have you try to ajust the master cylinder clutch rod....where does it fully disengage...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
have you ever replaced the slave cylinder seals....the rod itself dont go bad....its the seals within both master cylinder and slave cylinder...if you replace the clutch and master cylinder....have you try to ajust the master cylinder clutch rod....where does it fully disengage...
Nope, never tried it.......I know the rod doesn't go bad but I was thinking the clutch wasn't fully disengaging so I bought the extended rod and bled the system and it worked perfect for about ten or so miles. I adjusted the newly installed master cylinder rod as far as I could last night after the install because when I pressed the clutch in the engaging point felt alittle low to the floor, now it's a stage 4 but it was never that low. I think it might also be a line that may not be applying enough fluid pressure. if I can't figure this out, I'm going get a second opinion from another Toyota professional.......
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jigga52
Nope, never tried it.......I know the rod doesn't go bad but I was thinking the clutch wasn't fully disengaging so I bought the extended rod and bled the system and it worked perfect for about ten or so miles. I adjusted the newly installed master cylinder rod as far as I could last night after the install because when I pressed the clutch in the engaging point felt alittle low to the floor, now it's a stage 4 but it was never that low. I think it might also be a line that may not be applying enough fluid pressure. if I can't figure this out, I'm going get a second opinion from another Toyota professional.......

what master cylinder did you buy.....usually nothing works properly besides oem from toyota....did you bench bleed anything,meanning,all the hard bleeding will be done outside the car.....
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
what master cylinder did you buy.....usually nothing works properly besides oem from toyota....did you bench bleed anything,meanning,all the hard bleeding will be done outside the car.....
I bought a master cylinder from Dezod Motorsports......yes, I bench bled the master cylinder as much as I could. I just replaced the slave cylinder today, bled the system again and still nuthin. I still can't believe if it's even true that it may be a clutch or pressure plate issue because the clutch fork and throw out bearing is definitely moving enough for disengagement, but it's not doing it. Guess I gotta take the trans out again
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM

hey Jigga52 im new to the website and searched all the forums i could find. did you fix your scion and if u did how? what did you do to it, i am having the exact same problem with you had gears not stick shift not goin into any gear at all replaced both the slve cylinder & clutch master cyl also had the pedal lower to the floor than usual bled the line more than several times when replaced the parts and still nothin. it will turn on but will not go into any gear, it is really frustrating, please help.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Help!? Car grinds while shifting

Originally Posted by Jigga52
I bought a master cylinder from Dezod Motorsports......yes, I bench bled the master cylinder as much as I could. I just replaced the slave cylinder today, bled the system again and still nuthin. I still can't believe if it's even true that it may be a clutch or pressure plate issue because the clutch fork and throw out bearing is definitely moving enough for disengagement, but it's not doing it. Guess I gotta take the trans out again
As the gentlemen says above, did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue, replaced master, slave, clutch, & fly wheel. Though I had to extend the rod at one point too. Argh!