Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2.4ltr with 160bhp, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's a 22B? The new Evo9 MR does 0-60 in 4.4, can it top that?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drive the car then decide...different setups are better for different drivers...rwd awd fwd...and cars today put up crazy hp numbers...and 1 hp is basically $100 dollars...i.e. scion tC 16,500, 160 hp...and i cant afford an RS8 or any true "luxury car"...so i need whatever horsepower i can get...the torque is adequate...but the lower price allows us to "mod" the car...and then things get exciting...but when youre in the tC...look up and see your roof...its nice...for the money
Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by adamstc
the clio v6 one is cool but its way pricey
yes! clio v6 rules! i'm glad it doesn't come to the U.S. b/c i would bankrupt myself trying to get one. but maybe we'll get the nissan clone-a-like...
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...sport_concept/
Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PooM
I wasnt saying this is slow, im just saying in comparrison to other cars the power output seems a bit low.

Obviously I cant judge cos I have never been in one, let alone seen one in the flesh so i cant say. Although thinking about it, the EK9 civic has about the same about of horsepower with about 2/3s of the amount of torque the tC has, and that thing is RAPID!

Being in the UK, its kinda hard to test drive a car that dont exist over here. Still isnt changing my mind tho, im still getting one
It runs 0-60 in .1 sec slower than a V6 Lexus IS300, so I would say it does pretty damn good for a 4 banger. The compression being low is a good thing for those of us wanting forced induction later. And it runs with or outruns most anything in its class... so I am not sure what you are expecting. Furthermore, HP is not that dependent on engine displacement.

And none of the NA mr2s ran that kind of horsepower... more like 130-140 HP
Old 04-20-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Beantowntc
Like what? All the cars we make are poo! ie. Ford = crap, Vauxhall = crap, Fiat = crap, Renault = Crap, Peugeot = crap.

Need I say more, jap is the way to go
if you can get me a ford focus rs and i would glady trade my tc for that "crap" anyday

lets make a deal.....
Its a ford.... you would have more problems then you could count
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member

thats funny i just got back from cambridge on sunday, lots of the cars there suck, the ford ka and the seat ibiza are crap, the clio v6 one is cool but its way pricey

while i was there i really missed my car there are so many roads that would be fun to drive, if i was still in the army i would have my car there and have lots of fun, if you can find a way to import the car there good luck, you will love it, and next time you cross the pond come over and hang out, will let you test drive mine,
I totally agree with you, the Ford Ka is probably the worst car that Ford made, and the looks of the Ibiza aint too bad (the new one), but for the money, no thank you
Yeah I bet you love the roads in the UK, a lot more exciting than the majority of US roads plus the fact the speed limit is higher :D

-------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
i would also like a car from over there a puegot 206 gti 180
Why? Why? Why? Its still a Peugeot, nuff said! Lol

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by Beantowntc
Like what? All the cars we make are poo! ie. Ford = crap, Vauxhall = crap, Fiat = crap, Renault = Crap, Peugeot = crap.

if you can get me a ford focus rs and i would glady trade my tc for that "crap" anyday

lets make a deal.....
Its a ford.... you would have more problems then you could count
Exactly what I was thinking :D

Originally Posted by Souljah347

two words "nissan skyline" you can get them there
Hehe, yeah and their cheap too

if you can find a way to import the car there good luck, you will love it, and next time you cross the pond come over and hang out, will let you test drive mine,
Yeah I will defo take you up on that offer, I come to cali quite a lot anyways, my family love it over there, so were are aways going on holiday there :D

I think I am getting the general idea now, and am even more excited about getting one :D

Bet its gonna cost ____ loads on insurance tho cos none of the insurance companies have heard of it lol
Old 04-21-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="PooM"]
Originally Posted by Souljah347

two words "nissan skyline" you can get them there
Hehe, yeah and their cheap too

well if you are going to import a car you can get a used skyline in japan for like 10k in mint condition
Old 04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member

r34's are still about 40k tho
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am glad the HP and torque are not really high stock, that means things are not stessed much and boost is very tolerable. This is very generaly in nature so be nice, there are many other factors to consider

Please be really nice on this next one.

My little XR Matrix with 13PSI (a bit on the edge, broke on engine when the boost controller failed hit 15+ PSI) anyway, from 30 or so MPH it would walk an STI or EVO8, did so a few times and I have driven both quite a bit. Again be cool, this really happened.

OK back to the current situation, I am glad we have 9.6:1 comp, means easier to boost it, look at the numbers the turbo manf are getting from only 10 or so PSI!!!!

The handling is another issue, alot of movement in the chassis as it settles into a turn then it holds on very very well (dump the stock tires for a major improvement).

OK, enough for tonight, will post some of the results we get as they are completed.

Rick
Old 04-21-2005, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah I keep hearing that the stock tyres are crap, what make are they?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually Bridgestone RE92 and sometimes Yokohama but not sure which one and I have not driven on them so cannot pass judgement.

I have Kumho ASX tires in stock size on the stock wheels for all season(marginal in snow but I have a zillion snow miles under my belt so no worries) They are very very smooth and quiet compared to the 92's and handle far better as well.

I have another set of summer wheels and tires, Enkei RPF1 17x8, +35mm, 15.6 lbs, with Hankook R-S2 in 235/40/17. These will be used for wet weather autocross and track days as well as canyon runs.

Getting another set of the RPF1's for some Race compound tires for dry autocross and track days.

We may find a set of 14 or 15's etc, for some drag slicks when we finish building the turbo system, we are going to have alot of tires and wheels sitting around here, lol!

I will try drags on the Hankooks first, they should hook up pretty well. Road race tires are a pain to drag race on, at least for me.

Rick
Old 04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would kill to get an R34 for £40k... $52k for an R34! Jebus Cresbestos!!

Personally, if I were in your positions, I would go for the Civic Type-R. Its not quite to the JDM spec Type R, but still, far above and beyond the Si we get over here. And I like the looks of it, not to mention its immediate tuner potential from a Hondata K20 ECU along w/ the necessary parts to convert it to a true K20A1. You’d have a hella fast little sport compact, and all motor too. I know they're a little more then the tC, at around £16 I think, but I'd still go for the Type-R.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member

I hate it when cars HP Numbers are much higher than torque. Torque is what counts, not HP. As the great Carol Shelby once said, (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races."
Old 04-24-2005, 08:58 AM
SL Member

Default Re: 2.4ltr with 160bhp, wtf?

[quote="PooM"]I mean a standard Mr2 2ltr NA comes with about 175bhp standard.quote]

Which MR2 are you referring to? MKII or MKIII? and if it's the MKII then you have to be referring to the UK version. The MKII USDM only rated at 135bhp. The MKII UK and JDM rated at 165-200 depending on the year (whether you had the BEAMS 3SGE or not).

Not sure what the MKIII Produces in the UK, but I'm sure it can't be that much here in the States.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Thrawn
I would kill to get an R34 for £40k... $52k for an R34! Jebus Cresbestos!!

Personally, if I were in your positions, I would go for the Civic Type-R. Its not quite to the JDM spec Type R, but still, far above and beyond the Si we get over here. And I like the looks of it, not to mention its immediate tuner potential from a Hondata K20 ECU along w/ the necessary parts to convert it to a true K20A1. You’d have a hella fast little sport compact, and all motor too. I know they're a little more then the tC, at around £16 I think, but I'd still go for the Type-R.
you can also get the cybernation turbo kit with the guardian ecu
Old 04-25-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah i wish they would have made the tc a 6 speed i mean your on the highway doing 90mph at you wann shift and hit another gear...but overall the tc has great pick up and speed..copuld be a hell of alot faster...i just brought my tc to new england drag way and drag it for the first time and my fastest run was a 15.9 @ 89 mph...but i smoked a civic hatch that felt good....its all about the reaction time kids....!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hang on i was just there what exchange rate are you lookin at 40k pounds is 80 grand its at $2 to 1 pound,
Old 04-26-2005, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no i think the exchange rate is like 1.6 to one not 2 to 1, but i could be wrong, dam the Euro
Old 04-26-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no check online or at the airport its 2.06 to 1 pound
also we are talkin english pounds not euro's, they dont use euro's in england,
Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bad i forgot bout that, well ne way dam the pounds...lol

Quick Reply: 2.4ltr with 160bhp, wtf?