Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2 Different SES codes in 2 days (KS) search no help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2 Different SES codes in 2 days (KS) search no help

Started up car in the morning (yesterday) and had a SES code p0327 which I think is knock sensor low output. Car would not clear the code using the scanner.

I had no problems at all before this with driving the car. Now it is in "limp" mode. Blows.

Started it up this morning. Old code is gone but new one p0328 is now there. I think this stands for knock sensor high output. Car will not clear with scanner. Still in limp mode.

How can the knock sensor just go bad overnight? I have not changed anything i.e. gas, driving habits, mods. And to top it off I believe the sensor to be on the back of the car under the intake manifold. New one from Advance is $170 also. It sounds as though reading low one day and high the next the sensor is going goofy.

I havent tried to hard reset with battery disconnect but is there anything else I can look for? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I had a CEL for the knock sensor, and car went into limp mode - turns out mice had made a nest between the intake manifold and the block, right where the knock sensor is located. They chewed through the wires - check thread link below.
I was able to splice the wires, didn't have to replace the sensor - but it was a PITA to get to. Have to take half the car apart to get the intake off and out of the engine compartment.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177661
Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im going to check that out. Thanks. Is the sensor and wiring visible from underneath? I know you have to remove intake and whatnot to get to it but maybe if I could at least see it.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nope. If you look at the second pic in my thread, showing the actual mouse nest after the intake was removed, it will give you an idea of what I'm describing. The sensor is attached directly to the block. There is a piece of black foam below the sensor, also attached to the block, insulation between the block and the intake. The intake is bolted to the block above the sensor, and pressed up against the foam (in the pic you can see the impressions in the foam from the intake). So the foam would block the view from the bottom, intake blocks the view from the top.
If you have one of those small mirrors on an extendable wand, you can stick that between the intake manifold and block from the driver side, shine a light in, and try to see it in the mirror. I did that, which is how I found out the nest was there - that, and finding f'ing acorn shells all over the place when I opened the hood.
Even at that, it's still hard to see in there.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So on Friday I dived in and took off the intake manifold. 5 bolts, 2 nuts. Only had 4 bolts and 2 nuts off and when trying to pry it off all kinds of mouse "debris" came out. After getting the last bolt off dropped the intake and it layed on the driveshaft.

I could see mouse nest and lots of crap in there. Vaccumed it out and using my fingers the red wire to the knock sensor was eaten completely off and the green wire was stripped of the insulation.

My harness clip was pretty much screwed because the red wire was eaten off flush with the connector. So I modifed a HID plug and used that. Everything runs great now, no SES lights or anything. Thanks for the ideas. Stupid mice.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

lol, that's unbelieveable that it was the exact same thing. Not only was the nest in the same place, but they also chewed through the wires too.
Must be some tasty insulation!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you at least find the mouse/mice and go on a murderous rampage? lol
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I did - after all I went through to fix it, I was putting multiple mouse traps on my engine every night when I got home from work. They seek the warmth during the winter.
I figured I'd make them a nice little snack before they snuggled into their nest - I had my own stash of acorns, and put a nice fresh piece on each trap every night. Nothing warmed my heart more each morning, than seeing one little bastard in each trap, mouthful of acorn, with it's skull caved in.....