Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

200WHP??Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Default 200WHP??Help

I know I know another newb asking questions. But I've searched around the forum and havn't found an exact answer. I'm already in the lines of purchasing a lighter pulley, header, exhaust, and a CAI. However what do I need to hit 200 WHP would forced induction be my easiest route or Naturally aspirated. Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ABehr
I know I know another newb asking questions. But I've searched around the forum and havn't found an exact answer. I'm already in the lines of purchasing a lighter pulley, header, exhaust, and a CAI. However what do I need to hit 200 WHP would forced induction be my easiest route or Naturally aspirated. Thanks

Hahaha, welcome newb, let me be the first to answer you so that 50 other people don't flame you with the "Search" command.

I bought my 07 tc brand new in late 2006 and I've been slowly building it ever since. My goal right now is get at least 250whp (with a supercharger), but I want to see how much N/a power I can make first before I have the TRD s/c installed...... and you are welcome to check out my build for reference:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222850

I'm still not sure if you can get to 200whp with bolt-on's alone, although this will get you close:

Injen Cold Air Intake
DC Ceramic Headers,
Full Exhaust (I went Nvidia S-pipe, Megan mid-pipe, TRD Axleback)
NST Lightweight Crank, Alternator, and Water Pump Pulleys
Descendant Intake Manifold
Okada Plasma Coils
A good Port-n-Polish on the head
Engine Management of some sort
RS*R Ran Up (increases engine lubricity, gives a few hp)

Ive got half of this stuff, just need the last 3 items, then I'm going to get a dyno pull before I get my TRD supercharger installed. I'm really curious if I can get to 200whp N/A without do major work on the engine internals like high performance cams/pistons/etc.

I personally think it can be done, and I plan on proving it with this exact recipe of mods, however most people on here will tell you it can't be done. We will see, the proof will be in the pudding and I will post my results either way once I complete the build and do the dyno run.

Last edited by ColonelSanders85; 05-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85
I'm still not sure if you can get to 200whp with bolt-on's alone, although this will get you close:

Injen Cold Air Intake
DC Ceramic Headers,
Okada Plasma Coils
Enjoy your 150whp, not to be a dick, but 200 has been done, and the mod list looks nothing like this.

-Sean
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SilverCFtC
Enjoy your 150whp, not to be a dick, but 200 has been done, and the mod list looks nothing like this.

-Sean
Nope, I don't think you're a dick, and I know 200 has been done (with all types of internal modifications), and like I said, I don't know if it's possible to get there or not, but honestly I don't think anyone has gone this far with simple bolt-ons and I want to try before I go forced induction. And even if it's just 200 to the crank and not to the wheels, that's still something to be proud of on a wheezy engine like ours.

Either way these mods will work in tandem with my Supercharger to make more power, and I will give a chronicled/detailed thread showing exactly how much power I'm making once I get everything together......and I think it can be done lol
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SilverCFtC

-Sean
And btw, a bare bones stock Scion Tc has about 144hp to the wheels (162 to the crank), so with my list of mods (especially including a port-n-polish and engine management), I'm pretty sure it's gonna be way more than 150whp.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah I understand the search function lol I've been on diesel forums for my pick up just wasn't finding exactly what I needed So forced induction of some sort is looking to be the way to go. I work at a Toyota dealership so getting the work done will be easy I'm thinking the SUPERCHARGER route becuase of price and I'm really only wanting 200-220 whp "AS OF NOW LOL"

Hahaha, welcome newb, let me be the first to answer you so that 50 other people don't flame you with the "Search" command.

I bought my 07 tc brand new in late 2006 and I've been slowly building it ever since. My goal right now is get at least 250whp (with a supercharger), but I want to see how much N/a power I can make first before I have the TRD s/c installed...... and you are welcome to check out my build for reference:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222850

Injen Cold Air Intake
DC Ceramic Headers,
Okada Plasma Coils

Ive got half of this stuff, just need the last 3 items, then I'm going to get a dyno pull before I get my TRD supercharger installed. I'm really curious if I can get to 200whp N/A without do major work on the engine internals like high performance cams/pistons/etc.

I personally think it can be done, and I plan on proving it with this exact recipe of mods, however most people on here will tell you it can't be done. We will see, the proof will be in the pudding and I will post my results either way once I complete the build and do the dyno run.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I understand the search function lol I've been on diesel forums for my pick up just wasn't finding exactly what I needed So forced induction of some sort is looking to be the way to go. I work at a Toyota dealership so getting the work done will be easy I'm thinking the SUPERCHARGER route becuase of price and I'm really only wanting 200-220 whp "AS OF NOW LOL"
You work at a Toyota dealership? That's a pretty sweet hook-up! A lot of people will try to dissuade you from getting a supercharger, because they have some reliability issues in stock form, so before you spend hours and hours researching all the extra shiz you need to make it actually work properly, let me make it as easy as possible for you and point you pointed in the right direction before you even get it installed:

1) You need to upgrade the shaft, the stock shaft is not balanced and can cause failure from the vibration....get the upgraded one (It's actually made by a guy named Gomka here on the forums):

http://www.tcsuperchargers.com/

2) You need to upgrade the bearings, the stock ones are prone to failure:

http://www.superchargedscions.com/5652.html

3) You need to get a better Bypass Valve, the stock one is inadequate:

Get the Forge 007 BPV

4) Get the NST supercharger pulley, it will increase your boost from 7lbs to 9.5lbs and give you a little more power on the regular TRD ecu reflash:

http://nonstoptuning.com/NSTPULLEYS/pKitSciontCTRD.html

5) Spark Plugs:
The plug to use with the supercharger is the Denso Ik24 gapped to .040
Its 2 steps colder than stock and 1 step colder than TRD spec’d one
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to use this page as a reference, it's got some great info and almost all the details you need:
http://www.superchargedscions.com/9201.html
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way Abehr, since you work at a Toyota Dealership, perhaps I could ask you for a small favor......when the Scion Release series 10.0 comes out pretty soon, it's going to have a "Solar Powered Shift ****." I know it's not out yet, but when it does come out, I must have one of these, and all I need from you is the Toyota Part Number so that I can order one......here is the pic:

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal...S_011.jpg.html

And here is my thread talking about waiting for it lol:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222927
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Well Hell by time I upgrade the Trd Supercharger I could probably piece together a Turbo kit? What do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends what you mean by "piece together". You can usually find a supercharger kit in used but good condition for about $1000. People sell them here on Scionlife in the classifieds all the time. I also see 1 or 2 pop up on eBay every couple of weeks. With the upgrades for the s/c that you need it will cost you about another $800. So you are looking at $1800 plus labor (which you have the hookup on) for a solid performing s/c or you are looking at around $4000+labor for a decent turbo kit like the ones found here:

http://www.dezod.com/cat-scion-tc-turbo-kit.cfm

It's a little more difficult to piece together turbo parts by themselves, I would want something that you know is going to work right out of the box. Another downside to the turbo is that you have add extra parts into your total set-up (Intercooler, piping, etc...). Not to talk down on turbos, because I'm a big fan of turbo systems, but generally speaking, the more parts you have in a system, the more complicated it is, and the more maintenance and repairs you have to make.

You kind of have to pick your poison and decide which way you want to go as far as how much you want to spend, and how much power you are trying to make. If you want to spend that much money ($4k to $5k) on just the forced induction system, I would recommend you trade in your TC, and take the extra $4000 that you were going to spend and put it towards a FRS.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 PM

The FRS would be nice okay SC is what I will go with unless I found a used Turbo kit cheap also I would of got a frs but need to start my credit so I took my Tc Will a SC TC run close with a FRS?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And btw, a bare bones stock Scion Tc has about 144hp to the wheels (162 to the crank), so with my list of mods (especially including a port-n-polish and engine management), I'm pretty sure it's gonna be way more than 150whp.
those #'s are for 05-06, the 2007+ is about 10whp more do to the changes made. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222058
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The FRS would be nice okay SC is what I will go with unless I found a used Turbo kit cheap also I would of got a frs but need to start my credit so I took my Tc Will a SC TC run close with a FRS?
Yes a Scion TC with a supercharger, especially with a few other mods (header, downpipe), will be slightly faster than a stock FRS
Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
those #'s are for 05-06, the 2007+ is about 10whp more do to the changes made. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222058

Ok thanks, even better!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No way I would every buy a used TRD S/C. And it's counter productive to purchase it and then immediately have to upgrade and change parts to make it reliable. That's just stupid quite frankly.

And if you want 200whp on a dyno the N/A route without opening the motor, find a Dynapack to dyno on...lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
No way I would ever buy a used TRD S/C. And it's counter productive to purchase it and then immediately have to upgrade and change parts to make it reliable. That's just stupid quite frankly.

And if you want 200whp on a dyno the N/A route without opening the motor, find a Dynapack to dyno on...lol.
Meh, it depends on what you find, I got one that only had 4000 miles on it for $900, it's practically brand new, doesn't have any issues.

Lol on the Dynapack
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Meh, it depends on what you find, I got one that only had 4000 miles on it for $900, it's practically brand new, doesn't have any issues.

Lol on the Dynapack

It's still the least efficient application. They are so cheap for a reason. For $200 more, could have a Tnetics turbo setup that someone is selling in the classifieds.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
It's still the least efficient application. They are so cheap for a reason. For $200 more, could have a Tnetics turbo setup that someone is selling in the classifieds.
I think we both understand this^ only reason I would be going with the S/C over T/C because I'm only shooting for 230Hp max I think a turbo would be a little more than I'm looking for. Realistically want 200-220whp. Whats your opinion on this?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 200WHP??Help