Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

after installing headers now have ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default after installing headers now have ticking noise

ok long story but nothing seemed to want to cooperate with me yesterday. took stock headers off put new gasket on and new headers(number1) the header plate was obviously alot thicker than the stock one. so i was told i had to lengthin or buy new header studs to replace the short stock ones. i bought the special star shaped torque socket and tried to remove the stud...(by the way header was off so exhast ports were open.. the end of the stud snapped off just the part that has the star on it. idky but at the time i didnt think anything of it...put stock headers back on and i had a tick/knock...pretty loud tick though. i checked all my tools and hardware and they were all good. (forgetting about that lil piece that snapped off.) the only thing i can think of is that piece is in one of my cylinders. i hope its not...but if it is has anyone has a mess up like this? or how to maybe get it out without tearing down my engine...because i know idk how and all the work thats involved i dont have the time....please any info is much appreciated...
Old 10-15-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well dude if that little piece did make it down into the motor then just getting it out could be the least of your worries. if that little piece of metal did make it into your cylinder then it could be destroying that cylinder, the cylinder wall, or your valves. it is not good to have something like that in there.

for your sake you better just hope that the noise you are hearing is just your normal header noise that a lot of vehicles get when you install a header.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

sounds like an exhaust leak at the header.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

ya its an exhaust leak at the header. take it to the dealership or to a garage where they can take out that broken stud, and replace it. it shouldnt be expensive at all and it should be about an hour or 2... i had the same noise on my truck, gmc suburban. Took it to a shop they fixed it in an hour. thats the best advice i can give you and im sure thats the problem. good luck and dont worry, nothing bad is wrong with your engine its alll good
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the tips.....today i decided to drive it and the noise went away....i drove like a grandma for a while and it didnt come back...continued to drive and stayed gone...the sound never came back. i work for the military and we had a video scope that i stuck down in my cyclinders all 4 and nothing to report. my guess is that little piece was in there and got pushed out and is stuck in the cat on the header....ima pull it off and check to see if i can see it chillin in there. but ne ways i did a compression test and it checked great..going to do a leak down to check the valves tom.. but i feel no loss in power....guess it just goes to show toyota makes some good stuff im gonna get all new studs and bolts from autozone...gotta get longer ones because the stock ones are to short for the new header plate...its like 4x the stock size. all in all i am so happy i didnt have to tear down the motor.....o and it was a knocking sound...i had like 6 people listen and we all agreed. lol