Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone Else get a Perrin ShortThrow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone Else get a Perrin ShortThrow?

Did you actually get it to work? or do you feel ripped off too?

I installed it, no problem, I didnt mess anything up. Nothing broke.

I did notice a slight improvement in my shifts but it seems like it sits at stock height or possibly slightly higher.

Got any Input?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why do you feel ripped off? A true short shifter doesnt necessarilly sit lower. Actually, you can make them that are taller, yet have a shorter throw.

All I will say though is that anyone thinking of one, go to doctorisotpe.com, great products and incredible prices!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why do you feel ripped off? A true short shifter doesnt necessarilly sit lower. Actually, you can make them that are taller, yet have a shorter throw.

All I will say though is that anyone thinking of one, go to doctorisotpe.com, great products and incredible prices!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I know what you're talking about, and I did order Doc I's last night, while I was on there I saw his "Lazy Boy" Shifter. Which is pretty neat. But Perrin's promise is a shifter with unlimited possibilities and such. and for that price you'd expect a decent shifter right? Well it fits the xA and xB, the tC however if you try and lower it to actually get a decent shift it comes in contact with the floor of your car when hitting 1st and 2nd, any lower and it hits a groove on the floor and wont go for 1st/2nd at all. The kit included washers that raise the whole cage about...2" or so, I tried it with them and with out and dont seem to notice an improvment either way. I guess I'll just put in my Gearswitcher and post the perrin in the FS forums.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In order to do a true "short throw" without height reduction you have to raise the cage up. The pivot ball is moved to shorten the throw. The height reduction can be obtained by shortening the top of the shifter. With Docs you will get both. You wont be dissapointed in his. I have had it for quite a while and love it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have the Perrin in my tC....inorder to get it to work properly in its lowest position..you need two sets of bushings to raise the cage up....Plus you need to grind out some of the cage so that the cable with move with ease....but even in its lowest position...it still sat higher than the factory...I cut mine about 2" to keep from banging my hand into the HVAC
Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didnt think to cut my cage but I wouldnt want to do that anyway. I do know what you mean about the bushings though.

But when you say cut, did you actually cut your perrin to make it shorter? and then re-thread it? or did you avoid cutting all the thread off?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I cut the threads off, then cut about 2 inches off then rewelded the threads on

Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow... that is a lot of work when you could have paid much less and had it the exact height you wanted with about a 50% throw reduction. 30 minute install (the washer is a breeze no matter what people tell you ) and it is dead on. Again.. .a shameless plug for doc i. :D But I support good business totally, and I am very happy with mine. People are paying too much and doing too much fabbing just to get a short shifter.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I didnt pay anything for it. I installed it in a friends tC and he wasnt happy with it, because it sat to high and needed to be modded. He then ordered the TRD and gave it to me for doing some other installs on his car...so maybe I payed a lil in labor. I am very happy with it and I can Guarantee that it is the shortest throw that anyone has.....but...My shifter will be up for sale sometime next week, because I am trading in my tC.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

how much throw reduction? I know mine is about as reduced as you want to go before leverage becomes an issue. It is 50% of stock with a 2" height reduction.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Not sure what the %age is since I modded it
Its fully adjustable....But right now it sits on two cage riser bushings. You can feel the cage under the shifter boot ( sounds bad but its not)..You can hardly tell what gear it is in by just looking at it....the funny thing is wachting other people try to drive it for the first time....damn near impossible

1st gear

Nuetral

2nd gear