Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto Tranny Build Up Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't mount a ATF cooler like this if it has a cold fluid bypass feature like most do. Doing so decreases the cooler's effectiveness by allowing hot ATF to bypass most of the cooler. You should rotate it so that the inlet and outlet are on top or the side with inlet at the bottom and outlet at top.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

which one's have this feature fred?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

late response but i was just showing a couple of guys what i did to boost my auto tc not sure what the other guy intentions was but i know i made good power with my ipt trans and a nice size oil cooler with not heating or slipping problems
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

only bypass iv seen thus far operates off of temp and is external, when cold a cooler is bypassed, when fluid reaches a specified temp bypass valve shuts.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/b~m...trol-valve.asp (just an example)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13011/

^^This one is made for auto transmissions

Majority of coolers out there are of the tube and fin design

In this case there is no way for fluid to be bypassed without an external bypass shown above.

^^In a plate type is a different story, B&M recommends that you not mount their plate type coolers with fittings facing down( http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ima...er_techdoc.pdf ). this is because you can trap air in the top side thus reducing its cooling effeciancy. A way to combat this is to fill cooler with fluid first, attach lines, leave cooler on the ground tilted with fittings facing up, start car and let run for a few min. this should "bleed" the air out, then mount it. this should prolly be done regardless.

In anycase its a very good point you made Fred, get the correct cooler for your app.

Last edited by crush02342002; 01-04-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Don't mount a ATF cooler like this if it has a cold fluid bypass feature like most do. Doing so decreases the cooler's effectiveness by allowing hot ATF to bypass most of the cooler. You should rotate it so that the inlet and outlet are on top or the side with inlet at the bottom and outlet at top.

I have inlet on bottom outlet on top with mine. I bypassed the entire radiator with mine though... It's tube and fin also so there is no where for it to go but through it (no reservoir tanks)

As far as mounting mine is the same as Chris's but with the horn in the stock location and the cooler mounted to the center support. I don't have any pictures where you can see it (black on black on black... Nothing shows up)
Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I have done some stuff to my trans and in the long run either it wasnt enough or I took to long to do it because the trans still ended up taking a poop on me but I was close to 275WHP and the auto was fun to drive like that!!!
IPT is a great company and the do great work you cant go wrong there i dont know about level 10 but I didnt hear anything good about them...

Here are some pics of how I had my B&M tranny cooler mounter on my car

Name:  Picture001.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  126.7 KB
Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

chris did you go the long way around or did you cut or remove the tubes?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took them out. Here is a picture of my connections. One went right in front of the trrans by the shifter and the other went down to the passenger side of the radiator

Name:  Picture006.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

nice!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
which one's have this feature fred?
Most of the B&M and Tru-Cool ATF coolers have what they call "LPD" or low pressure drop feature. Orienting the cooler with the fittings on top or the side (in-bottom, out-top) just allows gravity to help keep the cooler full of hot ATF and reduce the amount bypassed by LPD. I got this info straight from B&M tech support. I don't know why they don't include it with their installation instructions.

*Good info about the potential for trapped air. I hadn't even considered that.

Here's a little blurb from B&M about LPD:

● ‘LPD’ or Low Pressure Drop feature includes two bypass channels nearest the fittings to allow fluid to flow freely especially when cold to prevent lube system failure.

From Tru-Cool:

Here's how Low Pressure Drop (LPD) technology works to protect your transmission:
When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler.

As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner. It's directed through the core where it is cooled.

Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube system failure with optimal heat transfer.

Last edited by ScionFred; 01-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet info fred! though i dont see it applying to tube and fin.

what really sucks is the fact that they dont mention crap like that in any thing iv found so far. hook us up with a link to the info so op can update first page with it.

after thinking about it lpd seems like a marketing ploy...what do you think fred? though they dont advertise it..lol
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
sweet info fred! though i dont see it applying to tube and fin.

what really sucks is the fact that they dont mention crap like that in any thing iv found so far. hook us up with a link to the info so op can update first page with it.

after thinking about it lpd seems like a marketing ploy...what do you think fred? though they dont advertise it..lol
Thanks and you're right about tube and fin coolers and other non-LPD coolers. I wish I had more info on LPD but I already posted what little I've found in print. The B&M tech I spoke to described LPD as nothing more than less restriction through the first 2 cooler rows. When the ATF is cold it can more easily flow through these 2 rows promoting faster ATF warm-up. He also stated that cooler efficiency is reduced when the inlet/outlet are on the bottom and recommended installing LPD coolers as previously stated. What I don't know is how much efficiency is lost or gained but it just makes sense to me to let gravity help promote ATF flow through the rest of the cooler. It seems to me that if cold ATF can bypass most of the cooler due to it's greater viscosity, that hotter, less viscous ATF would bypass even more easily through the less restrictive cooler rows.

LPD may be a marketing ploy but the concept makes sense for those in colder climates. Especially when bypassing the oem radiator cooler (pre-heater) like I did. Like engine coolant and motor oil, ATF has an ideal operating temp range. Unfortunately all I have is theory but no hard facts concerning the real world effects of LPD given the multitude of variables that affect ATF warm-up and cooling efficiency. I have to trust that the manufacturers know what they're doing and B&M has a decent rep.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

as always Fred you lay out there like no one els!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hey fred i was looking through the B&M cataloge and found only a tad bit of info on LPD. LPD is only incorporated in their bar and plate tranny coolers, they dont use this feature in their universal coolers (oil coolers). I still didnt find any info on mounting position dependant on lpd, their only reason for mounting position is the possibility of trapping air.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I know is that liquid will follow the path of least resistance. If those LPD bypass rows are free-flowing enough to allow cold ATF to bypass the rest of the cooler, they will certainly allow hot ATF to bypass as well. Whether ATF flows through some or all additional rows and it's flow rate will depend on a multitude of factors such as cooler restriction and volume, row orifice sizes, fluid viscosity, pump pressure and volume, etc.

I agree with the B&M tech I spoke with that it makes common sense to use gravity to help promote ATF flow through the more restrictive rows in the cooler by mounting it as previously discussed. It's quite possible that the pump pressure and volume are enough to ensure full distribution of ATF throughout the cooler despite the inlet/outlet orientation but without knowing that for certain, I think it best to orient the cooler as discussed and use gravity to assist.

The possibility of trapped air in the cooler is enough reason to mount the cooler as discussed and potentially the only one. However, in theory, I still like the gravity assist concept. If the ATF flow rate is insufficient to keep the entire cooler filled with the inlet/outlet on the bottom, orientating them to the side (outlet on top) or both on top ensures that gravity will. Make sense?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with ya fred. Just saying I couldnt source anymore info about it. They are a little skinny with the info.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bad and B&M's bad. They really should provide better installation instructions.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

word
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM
SL Member

Have anyone tried add more clutch? I have look info on U241E and found out that it has 5 plate on forward set and 3 on Direct, U/D.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by sleepermod
Ya think you could compile a listing of all the internal clutches and whatnot that is needed to rebuild/strengthen our auto box?? That would be awesome and much appreciated

I'm feelin inspired right now..... Yeah, I'm quite technically inclined and since I have the service manual to guide me along, this should be doable, just have to devote a couple of days to do it right

Thanks 1slowtc if you could help us auto guys out on this mod phase.
do you have the service manual in pdf format? I may need to open up and check my valve body and having the manual would help.

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Build Up Guide