Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Burning a quart of oil every tank. 2005 Scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Burning a quart of oil every tank. 2005 Scion tC

I think this is related to the TSB on the engine for the 2006 and later model years, but was not covered for the 2005 model year. The fix involved removing the pistons and replacing some parts since an area that cycles oil gets blocked and it starts burning it.

I am not 100% certain it is all getting burned, either that or it leaks while driving. I do not have oil leaking on my driveway, but I have had to add a quart of oil every fill up lately and it used to be every 1000 miles. I know the fix to determine the problem involved an oil system seal test to see where the oil goes.

I was also told that I need to replace the seal on the oil pan ($1k+) and I think that is partially the problem, but I would figure that I would see oil leak on my driveway and that is not the case.

My car is now at 215k and I am the original owner. Unless the oil pan leak is simple to do myself, I do not plan on doing much to fix it since I am saving up for the model 3 and have a day one reservation.

Just checking to see if anyone else has a problem similar to this. I do not recall seeing black smoke, or major stains by the tail pipe, but I do know that I add a quart every tank and the low oil light pops up everytime its near the next fill up.

Could oil also be leaking while driving only? Still trying to figure out the source of the problem exactly, I just think it was related to the TSB.

How hard is it to replace the oil pan seal? I did ask about the TSB at the dealership and they told me I was not covered.

Last edited by rideincircles; 11-09-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went through a bunch of threads and this seems pretty widespread. I will look into it more if there is any potential spots for oil leaks, but I also signed up for the class action lawsuit since my model year was not covered with the warranty upgrade.

At some point I will go underneath my car to make sure all the bolts are tight and see if i can do anything to make sure it is not just leaking all over the road.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

Jack it up or put it on ramps and clean the oil pan and anything you can easily reach while under the car. Take the VVT cover off the rocker cover (2 bolts?) and: Pull the two black hoses coming off the valve cover (PCV and emissions) and pull them out of their sleeves if they have them. Check for cracks, oil, etc. Look for obvious leakage around the rocker cover over the exhaust manifold, and behind the head over the intake manifold. When the engine is cool: wipe your finger along the inside bottom of the tail pipe and look for significant oil residue. Open the radiator cap and make sure you have topped up coolant (don't rely on the coolant reservoir as an indicator)

Drive it for 300 miles and put a quart in. Jack it up and recheck the oil pan for new leakage. Check the oil drain plug and make sure it is tight.

Your oil consumption seems excessive even by the usual excessive tC standards. If you think you are leaking oil and not burning/blowing it off, put newspaper under your car where you park it. That will find leaks you never knew existed.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:11 AM
Banned
SL Member

BTW Toyota's test for oil consumption doesn't in any way indicate where it is being lost. They (over) fill the oil, seal your entry and exits, and wait for you to bring it back in 1,200 miles.

In your case, you would now have a seized engine.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-18-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 PM

I have a Scion xB 2008 - and have been burning oil for last couple years. I passed the "test" just before the date expired for class action (10 years) but only have 60,000 miles on the car.
Toyota will not honor the repair. $4,000 for new engine. Do not buy Toyota - And absolutely do not buy a Scion!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-18-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MarGre
I have a Scion xB 2008 - and have been burning oil for last couple years. I passed the "test" just before the date expired for class action (10 years) but only have 60,000 miles on the car. Toyota will not honor the repair. $4,000 for new engine. Do not buy Toyota - And absolutely do not buy a Scion!

You just need new pistons and rings, not a whole new engine. Still expensive, but at least not $4000 expensive. Check with an independent mechanic and get a quote for just doing the pistons and rings.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-18-2018 at 08:26 PM.