Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

car stalls at ignition and guess what the dealership says?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default car stalls at ignition and guess what the dealership says?!?

"it's normal"

well f*ck yr normal ok. My s/c has aliens reproducing in it and you say it's NORMAL
my car won't start and it will stall at ignition 9automatic car) and you say it's NORMAL

well guess what NORMAL is a car that sounds like it runs good and a car that STARTS.

that is normal

ok

im so mad im bout to sell the car
Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now now, let's not go to extremes... Just find you another dealership and get a 2nd opinion... Sounds like the tech there is useless...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no apparently he is the second best tech in the states and the dealership is proud of that

any other dealership would come out with even more ridiculous "results"
Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Call Scion Corp. You'll get results.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thats it. Im going to drive the car b4 it goes to geico for 10 min today. Geico will say we dont fix blown motors :D
Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

???
Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem when i first got my s/c. took it to the dealer and they said my throttle body was dirty so they cleaned it and it never died on ignition since.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ apparently they cleaned that out as a "preventive measure"
Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They all say they have the best tech... it is pure bs. And the dumbest crap I have ever heard came from people with an ASE patch on thier arm, so dont buy that crap from them.

What is happening to it exactly?

Honestly, the best move you can make is to find a small shop that is privately owned with a reputable owner... they most likely will actually have troubleshooters (not parts replacers) there that know what they are doing most of the time My father runs a 1 man shop... when people get sick of morons at the dealerships, they come to him to have thier car fixed :D Not that all dealer guys are morons... but an alarmingly large number of ASE certified people cant find thier **** with both hands.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have them show you the tech manual that says this is normal... Ask them what they are basing the "normal" off of...
Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCIONtific_tC
i had the same problem when i first got my s/c. took it to the dealer and they said my throttle body was dirty so they cleaned it and it never died on ignition since.
yeah that's what i think it is.. it's gotta be something with the throttle body or the wire.. unless your tranny is messed up..
Old 04-19-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this is what they did write on the invoice

"customer states vehicle will stall during ignition on cold start
inspected and found no stalling. checked for codes no abnormal condition found. cheked coolant temp sensor and throttle positioning sensor readings - ok. cleaned throttle body as a preventive repair."
Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 AM
SL Member

Is it on every cold start, or just some cold starts? What is the air temp outside during the cold starts (this shouldn't make a difference, just curious)?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

its only when car has been sitting "untouched/unstarted" for a good 6-8 hours.

Happens every morning at my first ignition/start of the car and then I leave from work 8 hours after

it will not make the noise if i start the engine after only an hour or so of being run

outside temp of 50 +
Old 04-19-2008, 06:05 AM
SL Member

Hmmm...

Are your plugs fouled at all? I don't know when you work, or if you like to do your own maintenance on your car...

So, if you don't, find a friend who likes to wrench. Have them pull one of the spark plugs on a nice Saturday morning (or when you aren't working...), and see if the plug is fouled.

If it is, you may want to take a look at an entry I made here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=218741

The other thing that you might (most probably should) do is change your oil, and start using a good 0W20 (like Mobile1 or RoyalPurple). The viscosity is lower, so your motor will turn easier, especially when cold.

Last but not least:

Does the motor just suddenly die (runs OK then quits), sputter at all then quits, or gradually just lose RPM and quit (or something else)? What "sounds" are different when you are cold starting vs. warm starting?

I apologize for asking so many questions...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by HighMPGTesting
Hmmm...

Are your plugs fouled at all? I don't know when you work, or if you like to do your own maintenance on your car...

So, if you don't, find a friend who likes to wrench. Have them pull one of the spark plugs on a nice Saturday morning (or when you aren't working...), and see if the plug is fouled.

If it is, you may want to take a look at an entry I made here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=218741
yeah I know nothing about the engine bay so i'll have to have someone else look into that for me =( but thanks for the tip

The other thing that you might (most probably should) do is change your oil, and start using a good 0W20 (like Mobile1 or RoyalPurple). The viscosity is lower, so your motor will turn easier, especially when cold.
I do already use royal purple especially because i have a s/c

Last but not least:

Does the motor just suddenly die (runs OK then quits), sputter at all then quits, or gradually just lose RPM and quit (or something else)? What "sounds" are different when you are cold starting vs. warm starting?

I apologize for asking so many questions...
nope only when i try the first time to turn on car it sputters stalls and dies. But never does that once the car is running.

when i first turn on the car it does that as if i had a manual car and wasn't pushing on the clutch all the way down...it tries to turn on then sputters and stalls.

if i turn on the car after an hoiur instead no noises no hesitation nothing.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
SL Member

Hmmm...

If the spark plug(s) check(s) out OK, then the only other things that I can think of is maybe a bad sensor (or one going bad) somewhere, a bad ECM, or maybe you are losing fuel pressure initially. The three things that make a gasoline engine work (that you absolutely must have) are fuel, spark, and air. If you are getting air (an S/C makes sure of that ), and you are getting spark (clean plugs), then it might be fuel.

What I don't understand is that the tech wasn't able to reproduce it. If your dealership is open on Saturdays, you may want to drop off the car Friday night, let it sit in the lot, and then be there to show them. They cannot refute it if you are witnessing it as well.

Just a thought...
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ 4 things, you forgot compression .
Old 04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm gonna have to vent on this topic!

The one thing that ____es me off more is when a complaining customer comes into the dealership and expects us to fix their cars, when they clearly know they (the customer) has schitt on their cars that didn't come on it in the 1st place! Then they get MAD when a dealership tech can't figure out what's wrong with it! Take the schitt off that didn't come on the car and put it back to oem specs, then bring it back for us to properly diagnose it!

Also, if you have a cold-start problem, leave the vehicle with us for a few days so that we can try to figure out YOUR problems! Nothing worse than a complaining customer who refuses to work with the dealership and leave their cars!

One more thing, if you have ALL of this performance crap on your engine, take it to a performance shop then and let them figure it out! Don't expect a dealership tech to figure it out cause we go to school for oem training, NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE TRAINING!

I'm done venting...now back to the show...
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you are way offbase with your little rant Metro. The supercharger is a factory offered upgrade so the fact that she has it installed doesn't matter. If you've known the problems she has been having with her car over the past few months and her dealership more often than no shrugging it all off you would understand a little better why she is agitated just a little. She has tried to work with the dealership and gets nothing more than a "cannot duplicate symptoms."

Quick Reply: car stalls at ignition and guess what the dealership says?!?