Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Dying at 45K...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutch Dying at 45K...?

I have an 06 that I bought in late 2005. The clutch, which has always been mediocre, began slipping a few months ago and has become more pronounced as time passes. It's pretty bad now, under hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear the car revs and revs before beginning to accelerate with no tire spin. It's even worse around turns especially when trying to accelerate out of a turn. Do tC clutch’s suck? Has anyone been able to get a replacement under the power train warranty? I know this is a wear item, but I haven't really abused it, just some spirited driving here and there. No drag racing or track days. Before the flaming starts, I learned to drive on a stick and this is my 5th manual transmission car. The clutch on my integra lasted 115K before it needed replacement so I am guessing the tC clutch is inferior.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, the tc's clutch is perfectly fine. i had mine for about 40k miles and even autocrossed twice with it. drove it on many cross country trips, and while this wasn't the car i learned to drive manual transmission on, it was my first manual transmission car.

when driven properly, a clutch should last the life of a car, but very few people know how to drive properly, or think they know how to drive properly, and thus the clutch wears out fast.

stop and go traffic, really slow clutch engagements, not rev matching up and downshifts, letting your foot rest on the clutch pedal while driving, dropping the clutch etc are ways to quickly kill a clutch.

as for it getting covered under powertrain, that's a hard one to do, people can barely get it covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. it is a wear and tear item, and its longevity is pretty much entirely in the hands of the driver(s).

if you get a replacement clutch, stay far far away from competition clutch, they seem to blow pretty hard. i have a clutchmaster stage 3 that i have had zero problems with for 38k miles, and i have drag raced it, driven stop and go, and autocrossed countless times with it.

oh, and toyota quality is great, never talk such filth about a honda being better again. (LOL)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The tC clutch should last the life of the car. I would not say its inferior to other clutches. There are lots of members here who have had their original clutch last well over 100k miles.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
The tC clutch should last the life of the car. I would not say its inferior to other clutches. There are lots of members here who have had their original clutch last well over 100k miles.

Now I'm starting to think mine is defective. It chattered a bit early on in the first year of ownership. I also had a suspicion that it wasn't fully disengaging because the car would jolt when I put it in 1st with the clutch pedal to the floor, but the dealer said there wasn't a problem. Now I think they were full of **** and since the bumper to bumper is gone I'm going to have to pay for it more than likely.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=draxcaliber;3374550}

oh, and toyota quality is great, never talk such filth about a honda being better again. (LOL)[/quote]

No offense, Toyota quality is good, but the Integra GSR was a better car than the tC. I had fewer issues and it was more fun to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they still made them.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine lasted maybe 20 k miles an had to get a new transmission, but it was all coverered under warrenty, all my gears went out
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by prighello
No offense, Toyota quality is good, but the Integra GSR was a better car than the tC. I had fewer issues and it was more fun to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they still made them.
The Integra was a great vehicle but having to worry about it being stolen from you and getting a phone call from the police that it was found stripped isnt worth it (reason why I dont own one anymore).
Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my ex had a 99 electric blue civic si. it got stolen in the middle of the night & was found stripped 2 days later. i'm surprised i don't hear many stories of tCs being stolen especially with the popularity of it now.

i have a problem with my clutch/transmission. its hard for my car to get into 2nd gear (even when the clutch is pressed down all the way) but i find this problem to occur mostly when i first start the car in the morning. any clues as to why?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You havent heard them being stolen a lot because you actually pretty much need the key to start them, you cant just hot wire them. Really the only way would be to tow it.

Last edited by DJ08tC; 11-17-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, to steal a tc, you either need the transponder in the key for the engine immobilizer, or a tow truck.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard early 90's corvette's had a transponder system but people were still able to steal them because there were only 12 different ones so the thief would just carry all 12 and try them until one worked.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the tc doesnt just have 12 different ones, lol
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look, if anybody wants to steal the car bad enough, they will. there is nothing that will stop them forever, they are all just deterrents.

on a hilarious coincidental note, i flipped on the tv, and cops 2.0 was on g4, and guess what? they were pulling over a stolen acura integra! LMAO!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, love how this went to stealing a car thread. Hondas are the number 1 stolen car, at least they were last time i checked.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
lol, love how this went to stealing a car thread
^ yeah so back to the topic...maybe someone can chime in on my situation:

i have a problem with my clutch/transmission. its hard for my car to get into 2nd gear (even when the clutch is pressed down all the way) but i find this problem to occur mostly when i first start the car in the morning. any clues as to why?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is cold and the fluid is cold, seems to be a common problem with a lot of people. I try to let my car warm up some and sometimes i go through the gears just sitting there to help out some.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ thanks 4 the info. im usually late for work so i run it shortly after i start my car up
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I've had my stock clutch for over 40k miles not signs of slipping yet. The only thing was I changed to royal purple transmission fluid pretty early. So I don't know if made a difference or not.