Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:27 PM

Default Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild

Hi All,
Noob here and never worked on Clutch cylinders other that use while driving .
I did some searching on Google and on Scionlife and could not find a dedicated 1st Gen tC Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild vs a swap. I read some posts stating it's better rebuilding vs swapping with aftermarket cylinders
because that aftermarkets may have negative variables when after installing such as adjustment issues and/or shorter life run times. If I over looked it, apologize and can you please point me to the right directions.

I did Youtube a lot of vids on general clutch hydraulic rebuilds, but I cannot find a vid that rebuilds a clutch cylinder with the specific reservoir as the ones tCs used. Please see P/N# 31410 (Master Cylinder Assy) in picture.

Oh, may be a silly question, but after installing new/rebuilt clutch hydraulic cylinders, should the brake fluid get flushed and replaced when bleeding newly swapped/rebuilt clutch hydraulics so no fluid will be mixed with new fluid?

If so, can one convert the Clutch Master Cylinder to use a dedicated reservoir and plug the clutch oil feed on the shared Master Brake/Clutch Reservoir?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild-screen-shot-2018-03-26-4.21.51-pm.png  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-27-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 03-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Bumpity Bump

Still researching this and came across a camero forum on positive reasons to opt on separating brake/clutch res besides benefiting less bleed time. It's minimal, but having a dedicated res for clutch MC don't have to worry about something happening to brake hydros, MPO. Tracked maeros benefits from separating clutch dust from brake fluid. Don't know if our rides will benefit the same in similar scenerio..

Do you think that the car needs a separate Clutch Fluid reservoir - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM

MC/SC rebuild parts just came. May do a quick write up this weekend if time allows it.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:22 PM

UPDATE AND CLUTCH PREASURE FAILURE RESOLVED:
After rebuilding of clutch hydros including application of lithium grease on the rubber seals on master cylinder interal seals and release cylinder interal piston and piston seals, I bench bled both cylinders. Once bled, they were installed, clutch lines flushed and bled. Test drove and clutch hydro pressure felt alot more firm than before. Clutch pressure was spongy for a long while and recently noticed after rebulds.

I used the diagrams below for reference during the rebuilds.

The reason for my post was becaue I lost all clutch pressure on the freeway.. yikes! I did manage to pull off safely on a small dirt field next to shoulder.

The cause of failure was do to clutch release cylinber's internal piston seals. The interal piston seals had crack marks around it. The master interals looked ok though. Better to be safe n have rebuilt both hydro than loose clutch presure again on the road!

Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch release cylinder