Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: OVERALL BEST??
Megan Header
38.71%
DC Header
61.29%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

DC Headers vs Megan Headers

Old 05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DC Headers vs Megan Headers

Well seems like i got my money back from the tctunerz conflict. i almost purchased a megan header at first.... i have second thoughts, now need to decide and compare between the DC and MEGAN only (not Alphawerks)..

i like to have everyones opinion between the 2 especially for the people who has one.... like as far as performance, sound, quality, longevity

what i found out about these 2 is:

- Megans got a built-in cat that reduces airflow=performance
- DC is just a straight pipe meaning higher airflow= more performance
- DC for tC is known for its raspy sound (have no idea how bad is the sound)
- Megans almost have no raspyness
- Megans users had complaints (SL members) about their built in cat broken off and stuck between exhaust
- for some reason Megans cost less than DC
- Megan is Stainless steel, like any other header
- DC is Stainless steel (i think) with ceramic covered over, which reduces the heat for better performance...

and to let you guys know im using stock exhaust.....

also! if anyone feel like selling there DC header or Megan Headers, PM me! i dont mind buying it from you!
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

why not alphawerks?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not affordable at this moment....
Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would go with DC, because there have been multiple reports on the megan header where the precat FALLS OUT into the exhaust system. total bull if you ask me. if you have the money, get the alpha werks, but if not, get DC.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The DC sounds great when I used the stock exhaust. I had them since December when they first came out and mine are starting to rust
Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davo345
i would go with DC, because there have been multiple reports on the megan header where the precat FALLS OUT into the exhaust system. total bull if you ask me. if you have the money, get the alpha werks, but if not, get DC.
If you're saying that the statement of the Megan headers breaking apart and depositing debris into the exhaust is "bull", then you are completely incorrect. I am dealing with this myself and I am waiting for Megan's promised free replacement in June.

If you're saying that the fact that those who bought the Megan headers having to deal with such a ridiculous problem is "bull", then I couldn't agree more. The Megan headers were sloppily engineered, with cheap parts, drafty design, and with the intention to lead the header market without any regard for quality. They weren't even shipped with a manual for christ's sake, just the lifetime warranty (thank GOD), and a Megan Racing decal. I can't help but chuckle to myself when I look at that lame decal. I would NEVER put that thing on my car.

So to Dilluvium I can only offer one remaining choice: DC Sports. But here's the thing, the DCs rust, throw a CEL just like the others, and are just as raspy as the Megan and Alphawerks headers (where did you get the idea that Megans were quiet?). I would recommend keeping up with the recent prattle and scrutiny between the different manufacturers. The only way to truly get rid of the noise is to stick to the stock axle-back exhaust, acquire a custom exhaust (or maybe an HKS axle-back which I've read helps out a bit), or hopefully with a redesigned s-pipe from Draxas or CreativeCompacts. James from CC rocks by the way.

I would have suggested the Alphawerks headers and their O2 "smart sim", but since money is an issue, that rules that out doesn't it? Why waste $150-200 on bad engineering, or $400+ for something just as bad as the others minus a few minor perks? Save your money, wait it out, better answers are on the way.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by nycazn79
The DC sounds great when I used the stock exhaust. I had them since December when they first came out and mine are starting to rust

Rust? Where At ?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my dc hasent rusted. go to www.clubsciontc.com reg. and go to videos, i posted my weapon r/dc header/injen exhaust under a video clip. heres a link
http://www.clubsciontc.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=3193
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have a TC, but i have DC sports on my box and i would strongly recommend buying the DC sports one. No problems with rust, install or anything. It is coated and reduces rust by far. I've heard the part on a TC but they also had the greddy evo 2 cat and it didn't sound too bad to be honest.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard DC header do not come with a new manifold gasket... isnt that recommended for every after market header??? to prevent leaks and problems... anyone installed there DC's with no new gasket?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I have had the Megan running for 3000+ miles and no precat failure, sounds great and looks great. No complaints here
Old 05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
i heard DC header do not come with a new manifold gasket... isnt that recommended for every after market header??? to prevent leaks and problems... anyone installed there DC's with no new gasket?
None of the manufacturers supply a new one (some of them don't even come with an installation manual!), and many installers have said to just go ahead and re-use the gasket from the old manifold. I think that's what a lot of us did. When I took it off I didn't see any reason why it couldn't just pop right on the new headers and seat in the s-pipe just fine. It wasn't heavily damaged or warped or anything like that.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

can u put the stock heat shield that sits on the oem header over the megan or the dc?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
can u put the stock heat shield that sits on the oem header over the megan or the dc?
No. It won't fit over the new flanges. The stock header is much narrower where the heatshield should go because the first catalytic converter is right there. If you buy an aftermarket header you will lose your first cat .
Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i think it is recommended to get a new manifold gasket... all megan header and i think alpha comes with one...

with a new gasket, when it is heated it expands so it forms a better seal to the new headers... the OEM gasket is already expanded to the OEM header, a new gasket is a good choice...

anyone had any sort of leaks when they installed the DC's???
Old 05-10-2005, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Two questions

Does this void my warranty with Scion and the extended warranty?

And if I remove the first cat and put the DC header on, won't i fail California's ungodly **** emissions test? (moving there at the end of the year)

if the answer is no to both, goody, im buying mine soon ^^
Old 05-10-2005, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes & yes just dont rev hard around the cops and turn your car off when you get pulled over..
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would just get a DC i have one on my other car for a couple of years now and i see no rust but it did turn to a bronze look now since it was stainless steal. plus DC are smog legal so i would just get those.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 619AKIRA619
I would just get a DC i have one on my other car for a couple of years now and i see no rust but it did turn to a bronze look now since it was stainless steal. plus DC are smog legal so i would just get those.
They're smog legal? That's news to me!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Two questions

Originally Posted by LeoLeonardo
Does this void my warranty with Scion and the extended warranty?

And if I remove the first cat and put the DC header on, won't i fail California's ungodly **** emissions test? (moving there at the end of the year)

if the answer is no to both, goody, im buying mine soon ^^
1> No, it will not void your warranty unless Scion can prove that it's what caused a failure.

2> The extended warranty does not go into effect until your factory warranty expires, so no, it will not void the extended warranty.

3> Yeah, you'll fail. Both emissions and visual.

It's best to keep your stock header around when you need to get smogged, which shouldn't be for a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DC Headers vs Megan Headers