E350 vs E351 - Scionlife.com

Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 11-28-2017, 01:28 AM   #1

Default E350 vs E351

I'm somewhat new to the Toyota scene. I have an 06 Camry base auto and I'm going to be doing a manual swap and also plan on doing a turbo or 2gr swap. I've been doing some lurking on carpart.com looking a trans.

In my area e350 transmissions are quite a bit lower cost than the Camry e351. I know it's a common swap to put a e351 in a tC. My question is would that same rational hold true to a e350 in a Camry?

Any info someone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-28-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo
Skeelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

It should work, but there is once important difference. The Camry uses a speedometer sensor that is driven off a plastic gear that's mounted to the differential. The tC (e350) does not have this sensor since it gets vehicle speed from the abs sensors. Now you could swap the sensor into a tC transmission since it does have the plastic gear on the differential as well, but since the gear ratios are so different between the tC and Camry, you will likely have a big discrepancy between the vehicle speed on your dash vs actual speed. It will read too high.
bbsciontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Thank you for the input. I'm more familiar with Honda's than Toyota's. Each honda transmission has it's own speedometer gear to match the final drive ratio. In essence any honda swap will work with any cluster from most model years and be reasonably accurate. Is it possible that the e350 trans would use a different speedometer gear than the e351 trans? I may be grasping at straws or being too cheap to spend the extra cash. I know Dakota digital sells a lot of recalibrated boxes to adjust those parameters too but that would most likely negate most of the savings. I appreciate the advice
Skeelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

It is possible that the speedo gear is different, but it's difficult to say for sure since there is no speedo pickup on the e350 to actually mesh with the gear. It would therefore be a waste for Toyota to put a different speedo gear on the tC trans, but I suppose it's still possible.
bbsciontc is offline   Reply With Quote