Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: What engine do you want Scion to use?
NZ-FE same engine as xA and xB?
0%
ZZ-FE out of Corolla?
11.11%
ZZ-GE out of Celica GT-S?
66.67%
2.4 liter out of Camry/Solara?
11.11%
2.4 liter out of Rav 4?
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Which engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Which engine?

I just looked up the engines that could be used for the new coupe - stats as listed.

Rav4{Tacoma engine with the VVT-i?}
2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve EFI 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
161 hp @ 5,700 rpm
165 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

Tacoma
2.4-liter DOHC EFI 4-cylinder
142 hp @ 5,000 rpm
160 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

Solara
2.4-liter DOHC
16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
157 hp @ 5,600 rpm
162 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm

ZZ-FE{Corolla , MR , Matrix , Celica}
1.8-liter double overhead cam (DOHC)
16-valve 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
140 hp @ 6,400 rpm
125 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

ZZ-GE{Celica GT-S and Matrix XRS}
1.8-liter double overhead cam (DOHC)
16-valve 4-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing and Lift with intelligence (VVTL-i)
180 hp @ 7,600 rpm
130 lb.-ft. @ 6,800 rpm

NZ {Scion xA and xB , Echo}
1.5 liter (DOHC) 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
108 hp @ 6,000 rpm
105 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

Please note the RPMs at which the HP and Torque are produced. The only engine on the list that is really a high performance engine is the ZZ-GE but even the ZZ-FE has more potential than any of the 2.4liter engines and with a turbo the NZ can match the 2.4 liters{and that is with like 4lbs of boost}. Now which engine do you want? Do you want a low rev moderate power engine that is very smooth? or Do you want a high rev engine with good power and potential for more? Although there is a bit loss to fuel economy with the higher performance engines , it really is a small difference{a few miles per gallon}. I have also listed a poll - let us hope Scion actually sees it.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member

I just found out that Toyota Europe is working on a new 2.4 liter engine for the Avensis. Perhaps this is the engine that the coupe will have? However it is not much better in performance than the 2.4 out of the Camry/Solara but does get better gas miliage.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Risen_Son_Racing
I just found out that Toyota Europe is working on a new 2.4 liter engine for the Avensis. Perhaps this is the engine that the coupe will have? However it is not much better in performance than the 2.4 out of the Camry/Solara but does get better gas miliage.
Maybe not a performer in the Camry/Solara, but what about a smaller coupe tuned for performance? Please if they use the Corolla engine, they now have that super charger ;).

I'd like to see the GT-S engine used. But the Corolla engine might work. What do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe not a performer in the Camry/Solara, but what about a smaller coupe tuned for performance? Please if they use the Corolla engine, they now have that super charger ;).

I'd like to see the GT-S engine used. But the Corolla engine might work. What do you guys think?
The problem with the 2.4L used in the Camry is the way it was designed , it just wasn't designed to ever be a high reving performer. It was designed to be a smooth running , torquey engine for use in a mid-size car and get fairly good gas-milage doing it. Great engine for what it was designed for. However with a change in the bore/stroke and head it might be possible to get more out of it and raise the redline. However why do that when there is a smaller , lighter engine that is cheaper to make that can perform just as well if not out perform. The ZZ series of engines is the way to go! The Celica GT-S uses the 2ZZ-GE engine , the top performer of this engine family and in stock normal asperation it puts out 180hp! This engine tuned from the inside out and set up with a high boost turbo or supercharger would do 500hp. Although that would be a very expensive engine that would really not do well as a daily driver. For an all around application though 250 would be doable and it would still get halfway decent gas milage.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

3SGTE would be awsome
Old 10-12-2003, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vpkb
3SGTE would be awsome
Great engine! But Toyota is fazing this engine out if I am not mistaken. Very few cars are being built with this engine and I don't think any in the US right now. The 3S-GE DUAL VVT-i is the killer engine used in the JDM Altezza and it sreams. Even without a turbo , but add one and it really does. I can almost promise that this engine will not show up in any Scion. I do wish Toyota would build a ZZ-GTE , although they do now offer the optional supercharger which I guess would make it a ZZ-FZE or ZZ-GZE depending on which base engine is used.